Sign in to follow this  
Tropicdoc

thanksgiving freeze in Louisiana

Tropicdoc

weatherbug waetherstation about a mile away read 31 as low. I placed a digital acurite suction cup type on the ground in the middle of the lawn. It read 27 as the low. Frost all over the lawns and roofs. So far, my insulation for the palms looks like it worked. Jubaeopsis no damage, Dypsis lutescens no damage. Unprotected Alocasia looks like wilted lettuce. Suprisingly, Hass avocado looks fine.

Steve the palmreader

Happy Thanksgiving Its cold even on the coast in S.W. FL. 43 degrees with wind

Xenon

Froze for a few hours here with 29F as the absolute low. Seems like downtown and south Houston only recorded mid 30s.

_Keith

We bottomed out at 31, but lots of frost.

Ed in Houston

In SE Houston, Clear Lake area, I recorded 34-37 depending on the part of the yard and how much canopy. Some frost on roof tops but it was fairy light due to some high clouds. Not enough cold to even get the banna leaves or elephant ears and of course no problems with the palms.

Ed in Houston

Alicehunter2000

Barely kissed 32 degrees here on the coast......supposed to be a bit warmer tonight

Tropicdoc

I wish I were back in Galveston with these palms. Update: rechecked palms Dypsis lutescens clump has brown-tipping on uppermost leaves. Jubaeopsis still unscathed. Still no signs of damage on the Hass avocado. Costus barbatus brown and sad just like the elephant ears.

_Keith

I wish I were back in Galveston with these palms. Update: rechecked palms Dypsis lutescens clump has brown-tipping on uppermost leaves. Jubaeopsis still unscathed. Still no signs of damage on the Hass avocado. Costus barbatus brown and sad just like the elephant ears.

I gave up on Dypsis lutescens , they are way tender here. Even on the light years, and under canopy have to keep going here. Majesties hang in a bit better if you can keep the frost off of them.

Tropicdoc

Yeah, I picked up the Dypsis on clearance at HD. just on a whim I will pull it up shortly. I just ordered a few Chamaedorea radicalis to replace. I think that is going to be my major jungle understory palm with a few arcontophoenix that I will protect with heat cables mixed in. I will intersperse those with philodendron selloum, dwarf alpinia, bromeliads, and cyathea cooperi once I can get some semblance of a canopy.

sonoranfans

this thread appears misplaced, it probably should be in the weather section, not the freeze damage data section. This section is about species and cold tolerance data and it is alphabetically organized as such.

Tropicdoc

Sorry I started the thread to report freeze damage on the dypsis and the jubaeopsis insulated during a strange early season freeze down to ?27 F