IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

gsytch

Bottomed out at 37.4F here in coastal Tampa Bay. The temps just kept dropping overnight as the wind died down. Crystal blue skies. Coldest Thanksgiving morning in my 26 years here. The quick warmup begins as 75F expected by Friday afternoon. Long range expects milder weather Dec-Jan BUT a quick shot of cold, like this one, can always sneak in. I saw 31F in Gainesville FL. Ouch.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Yes a very chilly Thanksgiving around FL. I half expected to see frost on cars early this AM as it was 38F around 6am. Even the warm spot of central FL (downtown St. Pete KSPG) it dropped to 44F.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Indeed it has, and this is how the morning greeting me.

post-1207-0-83289200-1385648990_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It hit 58/59F this morning here across the Lower Keys. NWS was saying yesterday that this would be the first sub-70F temperature recorded here since 7 April. In fact the high today is only supposed to hit 69/70 but tomorrow we're back up to 78 with 71 lows. So a brief shot, but it feels cold and with grey skies and strong breezes to boot. All of you in Peninsular Florida must be understandably grouchy with those crazy upper 30s in Tampa Bay.

Meanwhile at my place in Natchez, Mississippi, my weather station shows it was an eleven-hour freeze bottoming out at 26.9. Ouch. It was a weird season there this year, with an extraordinarily mild, almost frost-free winter capped by a freeze in March that set many things back for much of the season. Last night's event will have done the deed pretty much for any of the tender stuff in the open, and if Keith's place is an indication I imagine folks in the river parishes and the rest of Southern Louisiana are similarly affected. I don't remember anything this severe so early in the fall there...and I see at least one station in uptown New Orleans registered 32F for an hour and a half this morning. Crazy!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I was sitting pretty at 33 this morning. It was 36 at 11 pm last night. I was almost certain it was going to hit at least 30 degrees. Looks like inland Pensacola took the brunt.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

It hit 58/59F this morning here across the Lower Keys. NWS was saying yesterday that this would be the first sub-70F temperature recorded here since 7 April. In fact the high today is only supposed to hit 69/70 but tomorrow we're back up to 78 with 71 lows. So a brief shot, but it feels cold and with grey skies and strong breezes to boot. All of you in Peninsular Florida must be understandably grouchy with those crazy upper 30s in Tampa Bay.

Meanwhile at my place in Natchez, Mississippi, my weather station shows it was an eleven-hour freeze bottoming out at 26.9. Ouch. It was a weird season there this year, with an extraordinarily mild, almost frost-free winter capped by a freeze in March that set many things back for much of the season. Last night's event will have done the deed pretty much for any of the tender stuff in the open, and if Keith's place is an indication I imagine folks in the river parishes and the rest of Southern Louisiana are similarly affected. I don't remember anything this severe so early in the fall there...and I see at least one station in uptown New Orleans registered 32F for an hour and a half this morning. Crazy!

Oh what a climate if all you have to worry is about it dropping to 59F for a short time. :)

42.1 at 7:15 a.m. About 9 p.m. last night was 62.7 and I hoped it would bottom above 50. But temp dropped like granite. Glad I brought in the Areca macrocalyx and moved the lipstick under the eves. Sunny with blustery north wind. Current temp 65.1. The Areca went outside till after Thanksgiving meal but will probably come in again tonight.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

54 was the low in Moose Land. Lots of wind. Good news, Hurricane season is officially over.

Lets hope this front was an anomoly and not the beginning of a 2010 winter scenario.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I spent thanksgiving in Tennessee visiting relatives. It sure was cold, 24F mornings burrr. And that's only 500 miles from the Gulf. It's hard to comprehend how it can be that cold at 35-36N latitude. But southern hospitality can make even 24F warm and pleasant.

As an FYI - a fog bank crept in (I live about a mile from the Gulf) and the current temp is 64F after 72F at noon (it is 230pm) under high overcast and light fog rolling in. It is currently 76F in Tampa - 30 Mi S and W of me at the north end of the bay. This is a result of the Gulf cooling down due to the last cold front. It is actually chilly out now, yet two hours ago I was basking in the yard. That same Gulf is what keeps us just warm enough during the worst arctic freezes, usually. Win some lose some! :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I've never seen cold air come in and leave so fast. It was in the 50's Tuesday and Thursday nights with one night of 30's sandwiched in between. Weird but I'm glad it's over.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen cold air come in and leave so fast. It was in the 50's Tuesday and Thursday nights with one night of 30's sandwiched in between. Weird but I'm glad it's over.

Lucky for you, it sure the hell is hanging around Louisiana and doesn't want to leave. Of course this week, it is not MY issue, but I am sure my palms ain't a bit happy about it..

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Second chill of the season. Bottomed out at 41.7F this morning, 44.8F Monday morning, and expecting similar tonight. Highs not much above 62F. However, short-lived as the forecasters are predicting 80F by Friday and thru the weekend. I love the warm weather - as do my plants. So far, so good but January is still ahead!

Very typical front for the Tampa region. Most fronts stall or weaken significantly before arriving in South Florida. Bottomed out at 60F this morning in Moose Land. Keeping the fingers crossed until March 15th. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

I had 39F Thanksgiving morning but nothing below 47F since then. Next week looks like it may change things statewide. The Europoean forecast model has 30's for central Florida and 40's in south Florida one week from today.

I was camping on Sugarloaf key this past week and it's insane the difference in temperature. It feels like the Carribean down there.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I had 39F Thanksgiving morning but nothing below 47F since then. Next week looks like it may change things statewide. The Europoean forecast model has 30's for central Florida and 40's in south Florida one week from today.

I saw that. There is still some disagreement on how much cold, but the cold is coming. After how bone chilling it has been up north, I am not surprised some of that is coming on down. Let's just keep the AO out of negative!

The AO is (- 1.5) right now....... That's another reason that supports a freeze.

The AO is (- 1.5) right now....... That's another reason that supports a freeze.

It is, as I saw, but anticipated to turn positive rather quickly. The country will warm up after this brief visit from Jack Frost. The low daytime temps will be very unpleasant and difficult to keep a greenhouse warm without that much sun. :bemused:

It seems its going to be sking among the palms overthere in the deep South East!

Maybe even some ''apres ski'' under the coco loco in Southern Florida...

And NO frost here for a change here at 52 degrees latitude North!

Alexander

Edited by Explorer