IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palm garden in the news

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Not to be outdone by Jeff in Modesto, my place also garnered some media reportage.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/palm-517282-palms-trees.html

Here's my Barney Rubble in front of a Teddy Bear palm

mq3agg-b781139220z.120130717093714000gi7

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's another at the base of a royal.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And here's one of my garden paths, like Shangri-La Habra, beneath the silver moon . . .

Congrats Dave.

Any idea where I can get one of these? :)

"Yellow flame palm

Botanical name: Chambeyronia hookeri

Notable because: It grows a single, bright yellow leaf."

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Congrats Dave.

"Yellow flame palm

Wish I knew . . .

mq3agh-b781139220z.120130717093714000gi7

• Upvote 1

Congrats Dave.

"Yellow flame palm

And, they got my time on the board wrong, and well, how it goes, Joe.

Now I know why they hand out cheat-sheets.

Congrats Dave.

"Yellow flame palm

Wish I knew . . .

I know that at one point Dwight in Carlsbad had some, but doesn't the leaf come out red on this species as well?

Yabba Dabba Doo......more landscape pics.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

"He walks around his mini-jungle talking about trees as if they have personalities."

And they have indeed, but non-palmy people just dont get it...

I am proud of you Dave!

What a great history! Somehow familiar, you know.... :)

Aw, thanks all!

I'm touched!

Dave, I hope you are getting what you deserve: Good things to happen to you! Hope you are planning on making the next Biennial--sure would like to meet you; you seem like a super nice guy!

Congrats on the garden, Dave. I know how much work your putting into it.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I LOVE this atmosphere! Congratulations and Thank You!

Some more pics?

Many thanks

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Phillippe, that looks a bit like Sri Lanka, no?

David,

You escaped Ohio !!!!? too cold?

It's nice to read the reportage, we can learn from there too !

Kindest regards

Philippe

(I try to stay modest but last week all the ministers had their meeting in the Hotel Intercontinental in Geneva for which I did the landscaping, funny to see pics of John Kerry in my garden...but no palm there!)

post-6735-0-88314500-1385576649_thumb.jp

Philippe

Phillippe, that looks a bit like Sri Lanka, no?

YES!

I am sure you have leeches too!

Sadly I can't identify the species on your picture; I think I should check all your topics in order to virtually visit your garden (I hope you posted many pictures in the previous years)

Philippe

Well, you manage to get around, Phillipe!

Hope you gave Mr. K a nice salute for us . . .

Congratulations on the article, Dave. I see you got all dressed up for the occasion. :greenthumb:

'Yellow flame palm', well, just remember ALL news reporting has it's little inaccuracies... :rolleyes:

Again, congratulations!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

'Yellow flame palm', should be the next new cultivar! His name could be 'Dave's Pride'

Which nursery man will start the work?

Philippe

Yes, Kim, more like numerous inaccuracies.

At least he got my gender right . . . . :winkie:

Dave,

Congratulations! :) Publicity is always good, even with a few little humorous inaccuracies! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Everyone's invited to visit . . . for some accurate commentary.

Good for you Dave, get the message out there, even if one new person begins growing palms courtesy of the article then that is achievement plus.

Yes, love the shirt, but love the respect bestowed upon more.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Congrats, Dave. That was a great article.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Well done Dave great article

I fondly remember getting up at 5am for my morning run while staying at your place pushing my way through the jungle to get onto the street ! :greenthumb:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Congratulations Dave! Your garden is certainly coming along nicely!

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Recognition well deserved. :greenthumb:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Very cool. I've seen your garden mature on Palmtalk over the years.

As the saying goes, people trust "the news" until they read something they personally have expertise in.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Everyone's invited to visit . . . for some accurate commentary.

you know i'll be taking up that offer soon, can't wait to see your garden

Very col Dave!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!