IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

record low this morning

FRITO

"A record low temperature of 18 degrees was set this morning at the

Tallahassee Regional Airport at 729 am EST. This breaks the previous

record of 21 set back in 1943. "

my digital weather meter recorded a low of 23.4 I was about 6 ft from the house.( 5ft from the ground) so the middle of my yard probably saw a tad lower.

none of my palms look damaged, no protection on anything was used. queen palms in the ground and in the pots look great. one of my smaller pygmy dates in the ground show minor leaf bronzing.

few of my tropicals got burned, nothing life threating.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Why does Tallahassee seem to get colder than everywhere else in the FL panhandle.  It looks like they are in a cold pocket, and get colder than some areas of south Alabama and Georgia.  Why?

tallahassee is inland from the coast so the gulf water doesnt regulate the temps like most all the other florida panhandle cities.

for being inland, tallahassee is possibly the warmest city in the panhandle, and is the largest. possibly a small heat island effect.

the regional airport seems to be in a low valley spot where cold air drains. most of tallahassee is the "city of seven hills" so there are probably variations on how cold air drains in the city.

And with the thousands of live oaks canopys the blanket the city most people have small microclimates.

Even though I live about 2.5 miles from the airport, my lows are constantly 1-5 degrees warmer each night.

my elevation is approx 75ft above sea level, the airport is 79. most of downtown is 150-210ft.  just north of town elevation seems to rise pretty quick . that may explain someof it.

Luke

63" rain annually

Frito, good explanation.  I think, most of the other main panhandle cities are near the coast.  May explain why you're a little colder.

well... damage took a few days to set in and the in ground pigmy date was damaged at 23.4 and a consecutive night at 27.9.

85% leaf burn but the centerspears are green. it looks like it is gonna make it but will be bare for a few months.

Luke

63" rain annually

Luke,

Isn't Crestview a bit colder than Tallahassee.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

good luck with your plants!doesn't sound like you're panicking like we did here on the left coast.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Feb. 21 2007,23:14)

good luck with your plants!doesn't sound like you're panicking like we did here on the left coast.

thanks,

we normally seen 20+ freezes a year. this year i made out with 9 or 10, and a 9a winter. so I can't complain.

i dont have anything to tendy in the ground, the pygmy is the only thing I was experimenting with since it was a cheap 3 gallon from HD.  It still should make a comeback.

Luke

63" rain annually

You need to move to Florida!

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

Frito,

I heard about you guys getting down to 18F last weekend.  That's pretty crazy.  Our low this year was 17.7F in my yard here in Northeast Atlanta.

I went to weather.com to look up all time records for Tallahassee, and saw that your all time record low was 2F on Feb 13, 1899.  That really amazed me.  Then I noticed that Atlanta, GA also had it's all time record low of -9F on that day.  I wonder what the temps were on that day around the rest of Florida and the Southeast.  I don't think many Southern cities have records that far back because they have much higher record lows listed for Feb 13.  But it's scary to think that can and probably will happen again sometime.  Let's just hope it's after our lifetime.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

I always like to think of the Tallahassee and Crestview hills as  

"The Toenails of the Foothills of the Appalachian Mountains"

Near the Crestview area is home to the highest point in Florida:

The State Bureau of Geology says the highest known surveyed elevation in Florida is located in the northeastern part of Walton County. That elevation has been fixed at 345 feet and is just south of the community of Lakewood.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(Steve @ Feb. 23 2007,11:50)

Frito,

I heard about you guys getting down to 18F last weekend.  That's pretty crazy.  Our low this year was 17.7F in my yard here in Northeast Atlanta.

I went to weather.com to look up all time records for Tallahassee, and saw that your all time record low was 2F on Feb 13, 1899.  That really amazed me.  Then I noticed that Atlanta, GA also had it's all time record low of -9F on that day.  I wonder what the temps were on that day around the rest of Florida and the Southeast.  I don't think many Southern cities have records that far back because they have much higher record lows listed for Feb 13.  But it's scary to think that can and probably will happen again sometime.  Let's just hope it's after our lifetime.

Steve, the forcast for that night last week was 24 degrees, which is basically what my meter read.  the airport where the temps are recorded is in a fairly cold micro climate.  I dont want to think of tallahasee ever getting that cold again...at least not in my lifetime.

Alicehunter2000, if we are the toe nails you are the athletes foot radiating off, lol :P

luke

Luke

63" rain annually

1899 was an awful year!

we have records here back that far and we have consecutive all time lows of 8 and 10 degrees an Feb 12 and 13th

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"