IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Leonard Goldstein

- The microphone started to give fits. On my left and out of the frame, Claude Roatta (who is a musician) was telling Tim to take the mic apart and blow through it. Claude went up and did it and it helped for a short while. Jeff, who can also auctioneer, went on and auctioned off the plant in his hand while Tim and Claude worked on the mic.

DSC_0275.jpg

- "Sold!"

DSC_0276.jpg

- No vent this time, just shooting faster than my batteries would allow. Tim holds up a large orchid donated by Rosita Stoik, as Jeff finds where she is in the room and has her describe the plant.

DSC_0277.jpg

- Bidding on the orchid was good following the vibrant description.

DSC_0278.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The orchid was delivered to its new owner. The Lactaid was needed after the party.

DSC_0279.jpg

- A Sabal guatemalensis donated by Montgomery came up for bid at the mid point in the evening.

DSC_0280.jpg

- Sold. Record. Sticker. Done.

DSC_0281.jpg

- A Croton came up for auction and was sold to the crowd as understory color. I think this was the 'Piecrust' Croton that was donated by Ron.

DSC_0282.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Spiny climbing palm enthusiasts had their eyes fixed on this large Desmoncus orthacanthos.

DSC_0283.jpg

- It was walked through the crowd carefully.

DSC_0284.jpg

- Canary Island Date Palms, Phoenix canariensis were brought up as another distribution plant.

DSC_0285.jpg

- Paddles went up for each person who wanted one well below wholesale.

DSC_0286.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Distribution of Canary Island Date Palms continued... Bidders were getting a good deal.

DSC_0287.jpg

- "Hold your paddle up, if you want one."

DSC_0288.jpg

- Another one of Jeff's donations, a 3 gal. Mauritiella armata.

DSC_0289.jpg

- The stage thinned out somewhat to allow me to get some overhead shots.

DSC_0290.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The auctioneers moved to the sides of the room and started working on the larger material.

DSC_0291.jpg

- Tim and Rick Johnson lift up the Verschaffeltia splendida so people could see it better.

DSC_0292.jpg

- I aimed the flash straight forward for some of these shots and it might have been a little too bright.

DSC_0293.jpg

- The supply of food had been exhausted so those not interested in the rest of the auction began to head out.

DSC_0294.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A seedling Silver Joey, Johannesteijsmannia magnifica came up for bid. It didn't get the attention it should have, as this palm has become very hard to find lately.

DSC_0295.jpg

- The auction for the Joey continued as I looked over the next two palms in the auction, a Carpoxylon macrospermum

and a 1 gal.

Mauritia flexuosa on the right.

DSC_0296.jpg

- Grower and Tropical Flowering Tree legend Richard Lyons raised his paddle throughout the evening. He said he was looking for a new palm to add to his collection.

DSC_0297.jpg

- This variegated Lady Palm was nice eye candy.

DSC_0298.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Variegation always gets attention.

DSC_0299.jpg

- Crotons were a welcomed treat at the auction as there were many fans in attendance.

DSC_0300.jpg

- Jeff gives a description and care instructions for this specimen of 'Blotched, Wooten's Beauty'. The rarer blotched form of the popular cultivar.

DSC_0301.jpg

- Bidding was good for a non-palm as people sought out color during the auction.

DSC_0302.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Some auctions went fast, others went back and forth for a while.

DSC_0303.jpg

- Veteran grower, collector and vendor Shirley Mayotte really wanted one plant.

DSC_0304.jpg

- The auction came up to another popular palm sought after by the same determined buyer who got the Licuala mapu. Jeff walked the palm over to her to tempt her further...

DSC_0305.jpg

- It worked, she got it.

DSC_0306.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A recently tagged Neoveitchia storckii was next in line.

DSC_0307.jpg

- An Arenga undulatifolia shows off its ruffled, undulating leaflets.

DSC_0308.jpg

- With help from the donor, Tim describes and auctions off an unusual orchid.

DSC_0309.jpg

- A 3 gal. Satakentia liukiuensis was up at one point.

DSC_0311.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Some were waiting for the Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda to make its move to the red table...

DSC_0314.jpg

- At a point, about three-quarters into the auction, they got their wish. Its size was more than a factor than its rarity as it was a large specimen to find donated to an auction. The bidding was back and forth to a point, but it still sold for a mere $150.00.

DSC_0315.jpg

- Immediately after came the robust Old Man Palm, Coccothrinax crinita. Tim and Jeff lift and carry it to a table.

DSC_0316.jpg

- Tim had no problem gathering peoples attention. They were waiting to bid. It was a perfect size and more than ready to be planted. It sold for $220.00, an incredible deal.

DSC_0317.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Paying attention to clearance over the stage, Tim carefully lifted the Chamaedorea tepejilote up onto the table. It was a showy plant and it showed in the bidding.

DSC_0318.jpg

- The area in front of the auction tables was getting a little crowded with plants. Jeff moved the Corypha umbraculifera over so more can see it for its auction.

DSC_0323.jpg

- Linda was busy working the society table but also wanted to bid. She took a second to bid on the Leucothrinax morrisii and won it.

DSC_0324.jpg

- A well grown Licuala peltata var. sumawongii sits next to the right of its new owner, nurseryman and long time palm aficionado Ken St. Germain.

DSC_0326.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The two Bactris mexicana had their turn in the auction, being sold separately.

DSC_0328.jpg

- The large Carpoxylon macrospermum was one palm many were waiting for. It is definitely the size for instant gratification.

DSC_0330.jpg

- A nice round of bidding went back and forth until it was won by Richard I believe.

DSC_0332.jpg

- Jeff and Richard have known each other for a long, long time, since dirt was new. They have this great camaraderie between them and to watch them go back and forth with commentary is an event onto itself.

DSC_0333.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The Carpoxylon macrospermum gets carried to an impromptu holding area near the edge of the room.

DSC_0336.jpg

- The auction was about over, with only one or two plants left. Many of the party goers were making their way out to the parking lot. One of the last palms was the tagless Bailey Palm, Copernicia baileyana.

DSC_0337.jpg

- The noisy table. I didn't see how all those bottles fit in that cooler.

DSC_0339.jpg

- The meeting was coming to a close. People were saying their farewells and reminding each other about when the next palm related event they would share, party, meeting etc.

DSC_0341.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- As the meeting was winding down, people were coming up to pay for their plants at the society table. FM. Andrew Street (Mandrew968) came up to show off his new Princess Palm, Dictyosperma album to the dais where Jeff and FM. Ellis Brown (EllisB) were talking on the left.

DSC_0342.jpg

- "Is that it?" Tim asks Lenny if the auction was over and to ask what was next. The Board of Directors had some society business to attend to at the end of the meeting. They had elections to go over as certain terms were ending as of today.

DSC_0345.jpg

- The Board was going about their nominations and elections as people continued to pay for their plants. We were on our way out to try and beat the construction closure of the Palmetto Expressway.

DSC_0347.jpg

- Its a small palm world. In the last photo from the evening, Jeff spent time talking with the enthusiastic bidder from the auction only to find out she is one of Jeff's neighbors up in Southwest Ranches. She was talking with him about doing some landscaping. Jeff, Ron and I left a few minutes later as fast as we could.

DSC_0348.jpg

The meeting happened as I expected it. No surprises from my point of view, even after three years since my last one. It was not like the incredible SFPS holiday parties of the past, of which I still have riveting memories and great stories. It would be nice to see the event divided into two different activities. The party can stay as it is, with a nighttime gathering with large amounts of food, charge people if they want, but without the large auction. Maybe instead a speaker or short presentation, palm related displays or just leave it as a party.

The other activity would be the large auction, held during a Saturday or Sunday, at Fairchild or some other palm related locale. It would run from the afternoon and into the evening with donated food and be free to everyone. The auction could be stretched out (including a greater selection with more time to gather rarer donations) and done in sections so there would be no hurry to cram it into two and a half hours and to give auctioneers, volunteers and attendees a rest to get more food, tour the location, etc. The weekend-afternoon time frame would allow more people to attend and since the society does not conduct palm sales anymore, this would be the palm-centered event. Details are secondary, but the idea of what I mean is there. Other societies have done similar events in the past with success. I know others can think of even better ideas and details to shape a great auction activity. It would be nice to see some change or addition in the future.

Ryan

--- ---<

South Florida

Great job, Ryan! Again, your pictures tells it all! I agree with the idea ( as others as well ), to consider separating the holiday party from the auction.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ryan, that's not a Princess palm--it's a Burretiokentia sp. I have little use for Princess palms...

Great coverage again Ryan. It's always as if I were there & I will try make the trek next year.

You mentioned there are no more SFPS sales anymore. None in the spring???

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Great coverage again Ryan. It's always as if I were there & I will try make the trek next year.

You mentioned there are no more SFPS sales anymore. None in the spring???

We are working on bringing the palm sale back. Hopefully by January will have more details. And Ryan thanks again. You are appreciated.

Ellis - you better get rested up. I'm bringing the Miss Jauquien orchid to the party tomorrow for Rusty. I saw how sad she was when Tiffany outbid her.

Searle - the wife is cooking up those "things" you love right now. The extra batch, well I'm sure you could find a croton to trade for it. :mrlooney:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B