IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

White Clivia

Tyrone

Has anyone heard of a white clivia? Just wondering.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I've only seen yellow and orange. Anyone out there with any growing advice? Mine look like crap.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

There is a local grower here who has been growing clivias for like 30 years. He has them from bright lemon yellow to brillent red. He also has variagated ones where the leaves are almost all white! Expensive plants.

Anyway... he does not have white. I am sure he would if he could. I will ask him if he has heard of white and let you know.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

(Tyrone @ Feb. 17 2007,08:50)

regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

I have bought many yellow clivia seeds from this company in South Africa.

http://capeseedandbulb.com/clivia1.html#Snowball

They do white/near white.

I have yet to see the yellow ones I grew from seed. I expect some will be yellow...... some ????

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

(chris.oz @ Feb. 18 2007,05:31)

regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

I have yet to see the yellow ones I grew from seed. I expect some will be yellow...... some ????

What were they like to deal with? Are there prices in pound sterling or is that the symbol for there local currency?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Here is a photo I took of Monterey Bay Nursery's booth at a trade show last month. Notice the creamish white clivia flowers near the center. They are very striking indeed. Monterey Bay Nursery is a wholesale nursery based in Watsonville, CA (near the Bay Area). One of the owners is the son-in-law of famous Clivia hybridizer Joe Solomone, who still operates a clivia nursery that probably supplied this particular one.

The North American Clivia Society also has a very good gallery page: Clivia Society Gallery

One interesting clivia to try for California gardens is the newly discovered Clivia mirabilis, which came from the Mediterranean climate region in South Africa. It is still very rare in the U.S., but I am sure many more hybrids will be developed from this species to give us super-easy landscape clivias.

p1250031rf5.jpg

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

(Tyrone @ Feb. 18 2007,06:11)

(chris.oz @ Feb. 18 2007,05:31)

regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

What were they like to deal with? Are there prices in pound sterling or is that the symbol for there local currency?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Best regards

Tyrone

Funnily enough a South African company that quotes prices in pounds sterling.  Gardening is  big in the UK.   I guess thats where the major market is !

You should only buy them when the seed is fresh.  Thats about May to September.  I think they will let you know when to order, and you may need to order ahead .

They supply  a little one page guide on how to germinate them [ its on the web site].   IMO it might be better to buy a white plant from an Australian source and propagate from divisions.  Then you are guaranteed to get the same white..... this would also cut the cycle time from 3-4 years to flowering down to about 2 years to get a division.

chris.oz

This is a first-flowering white I raised from from a crossing I made a few years ago.  The buds are a waxy greenish white, opening pale ivory with green centre, ageing to white with a lime-yellow centre.  I'm quite pleased with it in terms of flower shape and texture and it has a light, lemon fragrance.  Many 'whites' that I've seen up to now  tend to have open, 'starry' flowers so I'm especially glad to get this colour in the cupped or tulip shape.  However, I'm still trying for a pure white (probably not possible) or a similar white with a pale green centre.  Flower quantity and quality tends to improve as seed-raised Clivias mature, so I'm eager to see how this fares over the next few years.  

efc13029.jpg

Coastal South Devon,  England

Well done Dave Poole !

It must be extremely rewarding to wait the 3-4 years for flowering and get that result,  or do you fertilise these regularly and get them to flower faster ?

My yellow seedlings are yet to flower and are lost in amongst  several hundred seedlings.   Do you notice the yellow / white  seedlings  seem to be a lighter green ?

chris.oz

Cheers Chris, this one flowered in July last year just over 3 years from sowing.  It is fertilised throughout the year (half strength in winter due to our low light levels) and I keep seedlings growing at 16C or above, repotting as necessary.  

This seedling was totally green without any hint of colouration at the base and I half suspected it might turn out to be another yellow.  The original hope was for a really well-shaped yellow - one where the petals overlap for at least 2/3 their length.

Coastal South Devon,  England

Dave,

Even though they are just orange-red,  IMO its hard to beat the so called Belgian Hybrid Clivia which are now becoming available at a competitive price.... the leaf form is superb,  so much better than the garden variety clivia of which I have so many.    I shall probably root most of  the standard ones out of the ground as soon as I see the flowers for the first time.  If they are no good they will be replaced by the Belgian ones !

chris.oz

Mmmm, that white one is niiiiiice.

I have the standard orangy one - but it's special as it's an heirloom with a lot of "history."  Anyone having any special growing tips - I'd sure be interested.

Have seen pics of the variegated - wow, they were expensive!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Feb. 22 2007,07:00)

I have the standard orangy one - but it's special as it's an heirloom with a lot of "history."  Anyone having any special growing tips - I'd sure be interested.

Growing tips:   Clivia respond well to foliar fertilisation for the first 3 years.....make it  a high nitrogen and potassium fert.

They grow in deep shade through to part sun,  but dont like the midday or late afternoon sun.   Filtered sun is best.

Use a nice open mix with good moisture holding properties, and repot when the mix turns to muck.

To make them flower well,  a 4 week cold spell is needed during winter. In Florida beware:  Not below  freezing,  however !

Out of over 1000 plants I have germinated I have only found 2 with any sport that is remotely "variegated" .  Its no wonder they are expensive.

chris.oz

(chris.oz @ Feb. 22 2007,14:46)

(SunnyFl @ Feb. 22 2007,07:00)

Growing tips:   Clivia respond well to foliar fertilisation for the first 3 years.....make it  a high nitrogen and potassium fert.

They grow in deep shade through to part sun,  but dont like the midday or late afternoon sun.   Filtered sun is best.

Use a nice open mix with good moisture holding properties, and repot when the mix turns to muck.

To make them flower well,  a 4 week cold spell is needed during winter. In Florida beware:  Not below  freezing,  however !

Out of over 1000 plants I have germinated I have only found 2 with any sport that is remotely "variegated" .  Its no wonder they are expensive.

I didn't really know about the cold spell bit. What sort of temps are we talking about. Less than 20C???

Some good info here. Thanks for all the input.  :)

regards

Tyrone

Here's one of mine...not white, but I think this is one of the Belgian ones.

Daryl

post-42-1172322479_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just found this forum, and it looks great, I was particulary glad to find a thread on Clivias (my favourites)

I grow quite a number of different colours including Red, Pink, Yellow, Apricot, Peach etc, I also am very fond of Variegateds

I have been fortunate enough to have flowered a few Near white and Cream Clivias, this is probably my lightest one, notice the light coloured umbel

TRC_near-white_3.jpg