IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter weather

Palm crazy

It's times like this that I realize my hopes and dreams for a more tropical yard may be beyond my grasp.

But hey, while it was hovering around 0F with -20F winchill again this morning the dewpoint was only -9!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

It's times like this that I realize my hopes and dreams for a more tropical yard may be beyond my grasp.

But hey, while it was hovering around 0F with -20F winchill again this morning the dewpoint was only -9!

I though the inside of your home was a tropical paradise… :) there’s lots of tropical looking plants you could grow for a tropical look outside too. Canna, bananas, elephant ears, or high elevation desert plants and cactus. Some of those plants you could grow better than my location.

Today is the last of the big cold spell here and five day of hell, but a good test for some new plants.

My temps this cold week.

34/23F

31/19.7F

32/27.5F

32/24.5F

30/16.3F

33/21.5F

Will take pic later in the week and what made it and any damage.

I’m already seeing some interesting surprises.

Here’s a video of the water feature. So cold even the bubbles are frozen.

th_MOV00006_zps89c148e3.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

How do you deal with this sort of cold psychologically? It just seems brutal to get so much cold and you have such a beautiful garden get hammered.

I’ve been doing this a long time and have gone through a gardening jounery with lots of ups and down depending on how cold or snowy it gets here. Really bad winters only happen about every 5-7 years. I try not to grow anything more than a zone warmer than my location (8a) and I protect plants to made sure they don’t have foliage damage. I don’t get depressed when a plant dies, I look at it as a new opportunity to try a new plant or better variety. I did some experimenting with foliage hardiness this time around. For example its taken me years of trail to finally fine the best gardenia for the PNW and (for the right one to come along). That gardenia is called ‘frost proof’. With just a cardboard box over it I was able to save two flower buds left over from summer. LOL!

I know my limitation but I still like to experiment with plants, keeps it’s interesting and for that matter fun.

There’s still lots of plants l like to grow but its just to cold here most winters so I’m going to start putting those in containers and over winter them.

I hope this answers your question?

This weekend I’m going to get a better look at what damage their might be and report about it then.

“How do you deal with this sort of cold psychologically?” …Layers work for me and my plants.

Edited by Palm crazy

When I left home this morning, overnight low was forecast for 36. Just looked, now looking like 32. Oh well, I didn't prepare for that. Gonna loose a couple little tender things. Probably a good thing.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I just have to accept the fact that my garden will never look as good as fast as people living south of me. I also accept that I have to bring in everything or it will die.

I find the cold rather brisk and sometimes refreshing. I also take it as a personal challenge to thwart the weather by keeping all my tropicals alive in the basement during this season.

I think I finally hit the critical intensity of my grow lights, 6500K fluorescents and full-spectrum bulbs this year, because everything is actually putting out new growth right now instead of being more or less dormant as it has in the past.

I must say I'm still really jealous of most of you guys. I'd rather put the effort into protecting my plants in the ground and having a real year-round garden than have to dig everything up every October. (or earlier)

I don't think they've even poured the foundations yet.

But you can bet I'll be going when it opens!

I already make expeditions into the Lied Jungle and other indoor palms at Henry Doorly Zoo across the way.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/31817-the-tropicsin-omaha-nebraska/

Edited by Funkthulhu

Very nice, looks just like the tropics. The desert dome looks interesting too. Thanks.

Amazon is going to build a three dome office building in Seattle once they get approval… Wish I could built one of these in my backyard…LOL!

Amazon-Seattle-office.png

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/62473

Edited by Palm crazy

Hi,

in Czech, there is currently very hot weather. Last weekend, we had very strong winds and 10 cm of snow. However, temperatures down to -5 ° C (23 ° F). But this week is very warm during the day +2 and +5 ° C and at night +0 .

This is for the Czech Republic very warm. And I'm starting to say, why I wintered palm trees. I winterizing Trachycarpus and while the record heat.
The weather report heat continues!
To Palm crazy- you live in Washington D.C.?
Edited by Ovar

Oh man that's hard to watch.

Well you should have seen it here after a realy nasty cold winter with -18 C a couple of years ago! Just many young Trachycarpus fortunei finished.But -3 C is nothing to worry about...

Well if I wion the lotery I will move to a warmer part of the World. Those long crappy Dutch winter I have enough of them!

Alexander

Palm Crazy, sounds like you live in the same general area as me (I'm about 30 mi SE of Seattle). Got a little scary last week with how cold it was. I think we got down to 16 degrees as the coldest temps as well. I like how you wrapped your Washingtonia in the pic above, looks like you did a lot better job than I did of protecting. Here are some of my pics. I pulled in the potted plants (1 Washingtonia Robusta, 1 Pindo palm, & a small Canary Island Date Palm) to the garage for 1 week, although I think the Jelly Palm would have been fine outside (it just cost a lot, so I didn't feel like chancing it).

My 4 Med. Fan Palms (2 potted and 2 planted in ground) and 2 Trachys (in ground) did just fine through this cold spell. In fact, I think the Med. Fan Palms actually enjoyed the extra sun even though it was cold. A couple of the spears actually appeared to be opening and fanning out during that cold streak. Not sure how that is possible, but they weren't open before.

post-8827-0-46767700-1387048167_thumb.jp

post-8827-0-09805900-1387048169_thumb.jp

post-8827-0-19351700-1387048170_thumb.jp

post-8827-0-16474900-1387048171_thumb.jp

post-8827-0-14967200-1387048172_thumb.jp

Thanks Will, glad your garden made it this cold spell. I live 70 miles south of Seattle in Olympia. Not as warm as Seattle here in winter but nice summers weather than Seattle usually.

Much more humid here also and lots more rain. LOL! It has been very dry fall so far, good for agaves.

Alexander back in the early 80’s we went to −18C once and all the trachy’s defoilated but all grew back in the summer. It was a new record low for use in town. It was even colder by the airport and its still the all time low.

Finally getting some noticeable damage on some plants and other have none. :)

A few pics to illustrate what I’m talking about.

The biggest damage happen to the skinny trunk cordylines that had no damage. I have 5 that look like this. They will grow back come summer.

DSC00013_zps0704041d.jpg

And 5 that look like this, damaged colour socked out of them but still might make it.

DSC00002_zpscd1738d2.jpg

Most of the colourful ones that had protection look like this…alive but where did all the pinky colour go?

DSC00005_zps6b1d0915.jpg

The best cordylines where the green ones, then C. torbay dazzler, C. red star, and C. indivisa. All of these plants have one thing in common, thicker trunks which gets them through cold freezes better.

DSC00014_zps55e073ba.jpg

I gave the new Astelia no protection and they got zapped but are already looking better than this photo.

DSC00008_zps513ced0f.jpg

Most of the cordyline red star don’t look as bad as mine around town, more full sun seem to have helped them.

DSC00026_zpsdea342e4.jpg

Tree fern got leaf damage, but this is actually good, now the little trachy will have more sunlight this spring.

Notice that palms look good.

DSC00017_zps0fc7ec53.jpg

Chamaedorea radicals trunking looks great.

DSC00021_zps4708e4e8.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

livingstonia chinensis looking good, the second one has more canopy protection.

DSC00030_zps28569fab.jpg

DSC00032_zpsbeaa1328.jpg

All the palms had blankets during the cold spell they look great.

DSC00024_zpse9c851dd.jpg

C. radicals took on the cold and won.

DSC00036_zps74039146.jpg

I am pleased that no acacias were damage and the only real damage was all my bananas died to the ground. Still haven’t looked at agave blue glow, looks ok but I want to wait and see come April. 16F is pretty cold for that agave. Cycads look perfect also. Sorry about the grammar!

Edited by Palm crazy

Your radicalis and other palms looks a lot better than the livistona, those don't look so hot. In the Summer when you get your first 80+F day, you're gonna see a lot of brown. A lot of those fronds are greenhouse grown, so I wouldn't sweat it. The new fronds will be more acclimated to your climate.

Your radicalis and other palms looks a lot better than the livistona, those don't look so hot. In the Summer when you get your first 80+F day, you're gonna see a lot of brown. A lot of those fronds are greenhouse grown, so I wouldn't sweat it. The new fronds will be more acclimated to your climate.

You’re probably right Axel, April is when I will now for sure how much damage will show up on Livistona. First winter in the ground I was expecting more damage and Washingtonia robusta may have leaf tip damage also come spring. So far I am pleased and hopefully will not get this cold come Jan/Feb. Has never gotten cold enough in March to worry about plant damage.

Edited by Palm crazy

Really enjoy all those warm pictures :hmm:

You guys have some beautiful plants!

It was -17F at the airport north of here the other night....

its like they say,"dress in layers"...same goes for the palms.

Some of them were actually around 47-57F while it was -10F out.

Not sure all of them were quite that protected though... :unsure:

Thanks !!!

I’ve been inspired by your garden JIm, maybe I’ll try a few cold hardy cactus here. There sure are some pretty hardy ones out there, the other day I saw one cactus that was hardy to zone 2.

I really like the pink and orange flowering ones, maybe I’ll start with those. It’s all about the flowers for me. The biggest obstacle for me is winter rain and high humidity.

Nice to know your plants are warm and safe, those are some pretty cold temps. I have a friend visiting family in Upper MI and the high temps have been around 10F-14F, not sure about the lows.

I’m guessing when its that cold it must be to cold to snow.

The average highs start going up here in early January can’t wait. Stay warm and safe this winter.

PC, you know who has some nice cacti in your area is the Taco Time there in Tuwater off of Trosper. Everytime I go through that drive-thru, I am always amazed at how they are growing those so well. It appears some are slightly protected from the rain by the overhang of the building/roof, but it's actually surprising how good those cacti look there. I have been through there several times in Winter and have never seen any protection whatsoever on those plants. You should check it out sometime when you're down that way if you haven't done so before.

Welcome to Palm talk.

I haven’t been to that taco time before but will check out the landscaping next time I go by.

Cholla and Opuntia cactus are pretty hardy and the Barn Nursery in Tumwater use to sell them 10 years ago. I don’t grow them because they get destroyed by slugs. I did see on google map that the T.T. has some small trachycarpus and yucca so a drive through will be in order next time I’m in that area. Thanks for the heads up.

Roger.

Edited by Palm crazy

Fortunately still a very mild and sunnier December here then normally! No frost nor snow. Well except the odd -2 or so we had a couple of weeks ago. That it will stay mild the rest of winter!

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a month since the big cold spell that happened in December. The damage is really showing up now in the garden and it looks like 90% of my cordylines are toast! They all will grow back this spring but it will take a few years for them to get the size they once were.

Some pics not very pleasant to look at.

Astelia and cordylines.

3cbbafdb-96b0-4c56-8be9-5aca5c7735d2_zps

C. red star not very red anymore, notice that the green ones behind sail right through the 16F.

DSC00042_zpsf9ed4797.jpg

This one did ok. :)

DSC00009_zps64ba7571.jpg

All the colorful ones died to the ground. But they will be back come summer.

DSC00003_zps1fe73299.jpg

Tree fern will start to grow back come April.

DSC00032_zps9b92c390.jpg

This little one did ok with a blanket.

DSC00058_zps2caac181.jpg

Agave blue glow damaged.

DSC00024_zpsdbf443c8.jpg

Brahea edulis.

DSC00017_zps6f126829.jpg

Washingtonia robusta took a hard hit this winter, this is the worst it has look.

DSC00054_zps368574a4.jpg

Center growth is ok and will start opening early spring.

DSC00050_zpsa3469b14.jpg

Same with Livistona chinensis.

DSC00039_zps1be4a5df.jpg

Chamaedorea radicals is ok and will be planting more of these for sure.

DSC00036_zps74039146.jpg

Most of the garden is ok and things will look a little different come spring when I finally do the winter clean up.

Thanks for looking. Very pleased all the other palms did very good. On a good note I was able to score some palm fertilizer for half price this winter.

Sorry about the blurry pics, it has been raining now stop here lately.

DSC00003_zps1fe73299.jpg

Most of the garden is ok and things will look a little different come spring when I finally do the winter clean up.

Thanks for looking. Very pleased all the other palms did very good. On a good note I was able to score some palm fertilizer for half price this winter.

Sorry about the blurry pics, it has been raining now stop here lately.

Thanks for posting an Update. Sorry to see you had so much damage, but as you say, it will grow back!

I am curious as to when you planted the brahea edulis? If it's freshly planted it won't be hardy until it's had a chance to grow some new leaves in full sun.

I am curious as to when you planted the brahea edulis? If it's freshly planted it won't be hardy until it's had a chance to grow some new leaves in full sun.

Planted last year in June. Only receives 4hrs of full sun. Still getting astablish in the ground but it does have a good overhead canopy.

This is my first time growing one so this is all new for me when it comes to B. edulis. I’m interested in seeing just how much it will green up again this spring and how many new leaves come summer. It’s very iffy palm for 8a like mine. Time will tell.

Thanks Funkthulhu, still amaze my butia, jubaea, mule have no damage.

Edited by Palm crazy

Planted last year in June. Only receives 4hrs of full sun. Still getting astablish in the ground but it does have a good overhead canopy.

This is my first time growing one so this is all new for me when it comes to B. edulis. I’m interested in seeing just how much it will green up again this spring and how many new leaves come summer. It’s very iffy palm for 8a like mine. Time will tell.

Be careful with brahea edulis, they're prone to spear rot when acclimating and not fully established. I planted a 15 gallon last August in a shady spot, the plant subsequently developed rot in the crown and several leaves wilted, it did this in our drought. I treated it with lime sulfur and it seems to be recovering. That's going to be the challenge with most brahea. So I would recommend you pour some lime sulfur solution into the spear. It needs to be lime sulfur or some long lasting fungicide, because otherwise you're just adding moisture.

I am also getting sick of getting phytophthora infected specimens from nurseries. It's to the point that after I buy a palm from places I know have disease in their nurseries, I just treat the palm as a preventative measure. Lime sulfur on the spear and insecticide on the leaves.

Thanks for the information, never tried… Lime sulfur I hear it can burn some evergreen leaves? I am trying some Worry Free copper soap fungicide ‘organic’. Controls powdery mildew, black spot and rust! Hopefully thats all it will need and I’m keeping it dry for now.

Edited by Palm crazy

Well it looks like I only will have 10 out of 60 cordylines this winter that make it….here the latest that got knock down by the strong storm we had over the weekend. The wind actually took care of the last of the damage ones I hope.

DSC00012_zps4dcff5fb.jpg

The big wind storm also took this old Eucalyptus snag and toss it into my greenhouse. The snag was twenty feet away and only half of it broke off. Have a guy coming to clean it up and take the rest down. The hits this winter just keep coming…LOL! Luckily the double plain panels just happen to be on sale.

DSC00001_zpsed4d1461.jpg

DSC00004_zps84dad656.jpg

On a positive note the rest of this month is supposed to be above normal temps.

Be careful with brahea edulis, they're prone to spear rot when acclimating and not fully established. I planted a 15 gallon last August in a shady spot, the plant subsequently developed rot in the crown and several leaves wilted, it did this in our drought. I treated it with lime sulfur and it seems to be recovering. That's going to be the challenge with most brahea. So I would recommend you pour some lime sulfur solution into the spear. It needs to be lime sulfur or some long lasting fungicide, because otherwise you're just adding moisture.

I am also getting sick of getting phytophthora infected specimens from nurseries. It's to the point that after I buy a palm from places I know have disease in their nurseries, I just treat the palm as a preventative measure. Lime sulfur on the spear and insecticide on the leaves.

Axel by lime sulfur you mean Bordeaux mixture jelly or something different? How do you apply lime sulfur, dry or as spraying solution (liquid)?

• 3 weeks later...

PNW is headed for another round of winter weather….after a warm and mild January looks like this coming week will be much colder for us early February.

From the weather service website….

The more notable temperature drop will begin on Monday and
continue through Wednesday... with the coldest weather expected
around the middle of next week. By Wednesday... temperatures will
run about 15 degrees below normal for early February. Over The
Lowlands... this means that morning lows around Wednesday and
Thursday should range from the mid teens to lower 20s... while high
temperatures in the upper 30s should be common.

Will have some blankets ready and hopefully this last blast of cold air will be our last. Good news it will be sunny the whole week.

There will be a lot of garden clean up after this is all over…. :crying: :bummed: :)

Edited by Palm crazy

Yes, I don't know if my wa robusta and med. fan palms can take another round of these low temps we're supposed to get. I'm going to do my best to protect, but not sure which will make it through. Where does one get lime sulfur and what form does it come in (powder, spray, etc.)?

Yes, I don't know if my wa robusta and med. fan palms can take another round of these low temps we're supposed to get. I'm going to do my best to protect, but not sure which will make it through. Where does one get lime sulfur and what form does it come in (powder, spray, etc.)?

Use peroxide, lime sulfur is good for other things but for freeze recovery peroxide is proven to be effective.

I don’t think it will go below 20F for most of us so it shouldn’t be to bad. And only for a few days of cold after that it will be above temps again the following week. Cover your plants and they will be fine. Some of my hardy agaves are showing leaf damage but they’ll be ok once spring gets here.

Edited by Palm crazy