IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Share your hibiscus!

putu enjula

A couple from the garden, shot on the last day of March.

Smaller orange is "Carolina Breeze" Larger one is "Cajun ( or "Creole") Lady"

post-7081-0-20434500-1401683882_thumb.jp

post-7081-0-82481400-1401683900_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Rob, that looks like Cosmic Dancer. :)

This is my first bloom of June's Dragon... You can see that it is related to Black Dragon.

post-1234-0-00108500-1402229095_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-21649700-1402229126_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-69938000-1402229147_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-77381700-1402229173_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-62316600-1402229194_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Great blooms Angela! Tahitian Sophistication and Rockets Red Glare are stunning!. Both are on my to acquire list for the Hibiscus collection.

-Nathan-

Found this hibiscus in Mexico. Both pictures from the same bush. 1% of the flowers showed white and pink, the remaining flowers were all white or all pink.

That is a really cool flower. Nature is awesome, isn't it

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks everyone!

Here's Black Dragon, Arabian Nights, & Wizard of Oz.

post-1234-0-83749000-1402306880_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-64719700-1402306907_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-75366300-1402306996_thumb.jp

post-1234-0-31452600-1402307018_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Great blooms Angela! Tahitian Sophistication and Rockets Red Glare are stunning!. Both are on my to acquire list for the Hibiscus collection.

-Nathan-

You might be able to get Tahitian Sophistication at Hibiscus Place http://www.hibiscusplace.com/index.html

And Rocket's Red Glare at HVH http://www.exotic-hibiscus.com/

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Thanks for the links Angela, Good to know that HVH is still in business, had heard rumors he shut the doors awhile back. Curious what you are fertilizing your plants with. As always, great pictures!..

-Nathan-

Thanks for the links Angela, Good to know that HVH is still in business, had heard rumors he shut the doors awhile back. Curious what you are fertilizing your plants with. As always, great pictures!..

-Nathan-

Charles never shut down he simply moved his greenhouses and no longer has open houses. All mail order now.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len, That's what I figured had happened. Id see HVH's site still up and good despite hearing that he had retired from selling all together. The confusion came about when some co workers of mine at the time were looking for specific cultivars to purchase.

-Nathan-

Len, That's what I figured had happened. Id see HVH's site still up and good despite hearing that he had retired from selling all together. The confusion came about when some co workers of mine at the time were looking for specific cultivars to purchase.

-Nathan-

He is still cranking away. While he doesn't generally make the most beautiful crosses (look to Dick, Chen, Lee, etc, for those) he does make much stronger plants with better structure that grow great outside in California. I have a grown a few of the others and they always turn out leggy, many die in winter or are so weak I can't keep the bugs off no matter what I try. I do like to hear online which of the other hybridizers plants actually do well in SoCal and then buy them *if* available because some are so crazy gorgeous they look fake from photos.

Not sure if you are on FB, but if you are or if other like Hibiscus, you should going their page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/264254086998088/?fref=nf

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

-Nathan-

I'm still experimenting with the fertilizer. I usually use Apex palm special time release which is 13-4-12. I supplement with Kmag, Epsom salt & fish emulsion. Now sometimes I use regular miracle grow liquid and superthrive.

What is VERY important is that the middle number is very LOW compared to the N & K. Hibiscus store phosphorous and if you feed them with a lot of phosphorous (like superbloom) they will store it until it reaches toxic levels.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Len,

Cool, will have to add them on my FB page. Agree that some hybrids are much stronger than others. "Electric Blue" is one of those, found it to be wimpy, biting the dust in less than 2 years, despite providing it optimal conditions. Could be where id picked it up from but, compared to my other Hibiscus, it barely grew and always looked weak. Despite being smaller flowering, "Carolina Breeze" has endured pretty much everything you can throw at a Hibiscus including crossing the country twice. It is also the brightest true Orange I have seen.

Of all the crazy colored hybrids out there, the brown ones are a sight to see first hand.

Angela,

That is exactly the formula I use on mine. Differences were very clear this year. The same Medium N, low (or no) P, and Higher K fert formula is also recommended for Plumeria for the same reason. Also use Fish, Kelp and Epsom salt on all of them. High P levels can also sterilize the soil as well.

-Nathan-

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Len,

Cool, will have to add them on my FB page. Agree that some hybrids are much stronger than others. "Electric Blue" is one of those, found it to be wimpy, biting the dust in less than 2 years, despite providing it optimal conditions. Could be where id picked it up from but, compared to my other Hibiscus, it barely grew and always looked weak. Despite being smaller flowering, "Carolina Breeze" has endured pretty much everything you can throw at a Hibiscus including crossing the country twice. It is also the brightest true Orange I have seen.

Of all the crazy colored hybrids out there, the brown ones are a sight to see first hand.

Angela,

That is exactly the formula I use on mine. Differences were very clear this year. The same Medium N, low (or no) P, and Higher K fert formula is also recommended for Plumeria for the same reason. Also use Fish, Kelp and Epsom salt on all of them. High P levels can also sterilize the soil as well.

-Nathan-

I need to get that plant. I saw the photo of yours and it is a nice variety for sure.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Unfortunately, most of my tropical hibiscus got "whacked" by a couple of record cold winters here in 2010 -- but this one has done the best and is my personal fav re: it's colors (I had a very beloved Shiloh Shepherd named Stormy, so it's extremely cool that this particular variety has done so well...)

Stormy Rainbow

post-1263-0-62524500-1402436190_thumb.jp

post-1263-0-29142900-1402436208_thumb.jp

And, although this one isn't tropical, I really like the "fluffy" look and especially the way each flower changes from pink to white (Hibiscus mutabilis aka 'Confederate Rose')

post-1263-0-01960000-1402436312_thumb.jp

post-1263-0-56004900-1402436365_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Here's an interesting variety I saw down in Cuba.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-89782900-1402701801_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I saw and photographed this one on the post trip to Cuba, too. It almost seems variegated (virused?)

post-4111-0-92478400-1402702519_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Aztropic, Cindy,

Looks like Hibiscus schizopetalus, aka Japanese Lanterns.

See these alot here in FL. Large sized specimens full of flowers are quite a sight up close.

-Nathan-

Edited by Silas_Sancona

Aztropic, Cindy,

Looks like Hibiscus schizopetalus, aka Japanese Lanterns.

See these alot here in FL. Large sized specimens full of flowers are quite a sight up close.

-Nathan-

I agree. However the large bushes I've seen have made me hesitate, because of their overall form. Perhaps with some pruning to keep them more compact I'd like them better?

Cindy Adair

Cindy,

I've seen Hibiscus pruned to maintain a more compact stature that looked great, and others pruned the same way that always looked sparse or sickly. With the species you got pictures of, the nicest ones I see around town seem to be the ones that get a yearly hair cut, but still maintain their somewhat natural form. Turk's Cap, a Hibiscus relative, also looks best, imo, when pruned a little. Too much and all you end up with is a lot of sticks and not much foliage.

-Nathan-

• 2 weeks later...

They only one I have a Hibiscus kokioula, clayi endemic to Kauai. Been in the ground about 12yrs.

post-4990-0-65600200-1403566429_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Don't have much to contribute compared to some of the crazy colors posted here, but here is one of the Florida natives I'm growing in my yard.

Hibiscus coccineus

post-526-0-96095500-1403622981_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 3 years later...

Here's a bloom off my Hibiscus cultivar 'All A Flutter." I got it a couple of years ago from the garden area of a big box store here in NorCal. It's definitely one I'll be grafting onto my Hibiscus 'Brilliant" standard once the weather cools off a bit. This line of cultivars is promoted here: http://hibiskissinfo.com/varieties/

Hibiscus-AllAFlutter.png

• Upvote 1

Here is one in my garden, no idea of the cultivar but I like it!

20170716_152851.jpg

• Upvote 3

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

My tropicals:IMG_4357.thumb.JPG.57b6e9fda8442be418438IMG_3978.thumb.JPG.5694fcf703133e848bff5IMG_4414.thumb.JPG.e04574579d02bfa52be5eIMG_3992.thumb.JPG.6a944ca3066be9d113d6eIMG_4429.thumb.JPG.bb8ee0c9b2a189354770a

IMG_3708.thumb.JPG.aaba229675c5e88a574f3IMG_3758.thumb.JPG.2b0c89a5b2d017ba0fc9aIMG_2487.thumb.JPG.66b3488a5401c160341e3IMG_2297.thumb.JPG.89be7fe299d9b2a3e1248My purple and red grafted standard I created:IMG_4011.thumb.JPG.bb2daa0cfc14e34281d91I also have Fiji island but its not blooming right now. 

Hardies:

IMG_4272.thumb.JPG.97786df1547a88fa342d9IMG_4227.thumb.JPG.ae31fb5e148983d6cff3dIMG_4306.thumb.JPG.bb1ca012c85d7e33e1b01IMG_4398.thumb.JPG.67608f2d9b6a74f654e41IMG_4396.thumb.JPG.5a8a9434cc3958e558a3b

I successfully crossed this pink 'perfect storm' with coccineus and the seeds are developing. This will be my first successful hybrid! I'm trying to create a more tropical looking hardy hybrid. All syriacus pods abort that are crossed with rosa sinensis but I still keep trying. 

Turks cap hibiscus: IMG_2621.thumb.JPG.846334eaf91e2905d330f

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

• Upvote 4

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I subjected my Hibiscus standard 'Brilliant' to 12 grafts this year, and amazingly all of them were successful. :)

Now I no longer have to overwinter a dozen separate varieties in my sunroom each year. This standard will likely end up looking like a Frankenstein monster plant with different leaves and growth rates, but it's worth it for the savings on room and maintenance. I'll post an image when a few different blooms appear later this year.

I've done this before in other locations, whenever space saving was a priority.

HibiscusGraft.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3