IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

CATASTROPHIC TYPHOON ............

trioderob

this one is just as bad - top winds 230 MPH will a tidal surge like a massive tsunami. headed into the highly populated and poor central PI

but I understand what you are talking about -maybe some of the folks here lived thru Andrew and can give some first hand feedback as to what it is like.

this storm is borderline CAT 6 and about to hit millions

here is one of the cities about to get hit

cebu-city-1.jpg

Edited by trioderob

Ah, another superstorm, why am I not surprised? Meanwhile California is still in a drought, we're 25% of normal already when it comes to rainfall. But nah, no such thing as global climate change, don't worry, everyone, keep driving those gas guzzlers, there's nothing to worry about. :winkie:

I wonder what that type of typhoon would do to Florida if it where to slam into the middle? Would Miami turn into an island?

There is potentially a silver lining: at least all the moisture generated by the typhoon will eventually get entrained into the jet stream and head East, and hopefully it will help break the California drought. Last time this happened, a storm followed on the West Coast with 12 inches of rain in a couple of days.

Typhoon Tip was the strongest, followed by TC Monica. Typhoon Haiyan is crossing the coast with sustained winds of 235 kph, gusting to 275 kph. A lot of people were evacuated beforehand, but there'll be a huge mess to clean up when they get back. Imaging putting your head out of a car window at 100 kph. Extrapolating that to 275 kph is a bit scary.

Ah, another superstorm, why am I not surprised? Meanwhile California is still in a drought, we're 25% of normal already when it comes to rainfall. But nah, no such thing as global climate change, don't worry, everyone, keep driving those gas guzzlers, there's nothing to worry about. :winkie:

I wonder what that type of typhoon would do to Florida if it where to slam into the middle? Would Miami turn into an island?

There is potentially a silver lining: at least all the moisture generated by the typhoon will eventually get entrained into the jet stream and head East, and hopefully it will help break the California drought. Last time this happened, a storm followed on the West Coast with 12 inches of rain in a couple of days.

Why am I not surprised that the east coast didn't even have a hurricane season this year? One super storm and your going to throw out the global warming card?! Way to cherry pick your weather events.

• Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

You must not complain Axel about the drought. Here we have had on the day before yesterday the only serious rainfall since last May.

Did someone say that the global climate doesn't change? Oh that's right it's global climate change now, not global warming. Seems the terminology changes faster than the climate. :hmm:

In other news......how bout that Tesla Model S.......climate changed real fast for that guy. lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Why am I not surprised that the east coast didn't even have a hurricane season this year? One super storm and your going to throw out the global warming card?! Way to cherry pick your weather events.

Axel may not be correct but I will say this.

the CO2 level now is the highest in millions of years - might just be a coincident............. :bemused: .

You don't cherry pick superstorms, they cherry pick themselves. It only takes one, and no one ever said the East Coast was supposed to have an active hurricane season every year. Hurricane seasons are cyclical. As for global climate change, as I suggest, suit yourself, millions of Americans continue to happily drive their gas guzzler blissfully ignoring even the remote possibility that there might be an issue. After all, maybe all that fossil fuel converted back into CO2 is probably just warding off the next ice age. Never mind that the last two mass extinctions were linked to greenhouse effects from meteor impacts and mass volcanic eruptions.

We went from this in the 1970's (mileage = 10 mpg city/14 mpg highway at 55mph )

DSC_2415b.jpg

To this in 2010: Mileage = 13 mpg city/16 mpg highway

D6E685348A4F45A4A343A1A682917392.jpg

And add to that all the wonderful tax breaks for large SUV's during the Bush era, now that's what I call progress... Those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

So three teslas burn even though over 6,000 cars burn in accidents annually, hmmmm, and the guy in the latest accident involving a burn said the tesla saved his life and the fire couldn't penetrate into the cockpit.

I am just glad my house is at 500 feet elevation and that I don't live in Florida. And I am glad I pay zero for electricity thanks to our solar cells on the roof and I no longer have to pump gas thanks to the Leaf I drive. But folks are totally welcome to lead 1950's lifestyles, after all, this is a free country.

Axel, electric automobiles are only as clean as the electric power source. Is your Leaf charged by your rooftop panels? Nationwide I believe that approximately 40% of electricity generation is from coal. (Not so much here in California)

I would insert the smiley face icon here, but I can't get them to work lately! LOL

San Francisco, California

Axel, electric automobiles are only as clean as the electric power source. Is your Leaf charged by your rooftop panels? Nationwide I believe that approximately 40% of electricity generation is from coal. (Not so much here in California)

I would insert the smiley face icon here, but I can't get them to work lately! LOL

My leaf is charged from the rooftop panels. The nice thing about electric is that now there is an opportunity to charge them up from cleaner sources. Obviously coal is still part of the picture, and so is petroleum, but it is a step in the right direction. I don't think electric cars will provide enough of an economic alternative to gas burning cars until the battery energy density at least quadruples to bring the range up to 350 miles at a price point most Americans can afford. That, along with solar charging paint efficiencies going to 30% may well make them more economical in the future. It would be nice if gas powered engines became a relic purely out of economic drivers, meaning an electric car is so much better and cheaper to run that no one except collectors would even care to drive gas powered engines. We're not there yet but we're heading that way as long as we don't get another oil industry president that puts tax incentives in place to promote gas guzzlers and higher petroleum demand.

I can tell you one of the nice features of the electric engine is the torque. I have a lot of fun at red lights leaving BMW's and porches like sitting ducks. That leaf takes off so fast no gas powered engine can compete. If I had the money for a Tesla, that power would extend even to higher speeds on the freeway. And the best part is the free access to car pool lanes.

for any of the nay sayers about global warming - try to guess without looking it up on the internet:

how many lbs of co2 does the average car produce in a year ?

don't google it !

just guess

Axel "and no one ever said the East Coast was supposed to have an active hurricane season every year. "

Really?! After hurricane Katrina every alarmist was saying exactly that every year would be progressively worse " with stronger more deadly storms along the eastern seaboard"

If you can get the masses to fear the weather and you can get them to do anything.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

for any of the nay sayers about global warming - try to guess without looking it up on the internet:

how many lbs of co2 does the average car produce in a year ?

don't google it !

just guess

You should be more afraid of clouds.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Axel, I live in Florida, 12 miles inland & 17 ft above sea level. How soon will my house be beach front property? :rolleyes:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

....Never mind that the last two mass extinctions were linked to greenhouse effects from meteor impacts and mass volcanic eruptions....

Aw heck, I thought it was due to dinosaur farts. :sick:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hmm.

I know of at least one Floridian who went through Andrew.

That was nasty enough. Not as big as this one today, thank heaven.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hmm.

Ask Ken about Andrew in Florida. And when it got through there it marched right up the Gulf of Mexico and put another hit on Louisiana. 3 weeks before power was restored here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

this one is just as bad - top winds 230 MPH will a tidal surge like a massive tsunami. headed into the highly populated and poor central PI

but I understand what you are talking about -maybe some of the folks here lived thru Andrew and can give some first hand feedback as to what it is like.

cebu-city-1.jpg

the city in this photo I posted earlier was conpletely desimated - it took the hardest hit mother nature has ever dished out in a tropical storm

• Upvote 1

Axel "and no one ever said the East Coast was supposed to have an active hurricane season every year. "

Really?! After hurricane Katrina every alarmist was saying exactly that every year would be progressively worse " with stronger more deadly storms along the eastern seaboard"

If you can get the masses to fear the weather and you can get them to do anything.

I won't make any comment about my opinion on global warming, but most climatologists will tell you that warming temperatures aren't the only thing that determine how our hurricane season will be. One of the big factors is those Sahara dust storms that tend to dry the air out and lead to unfavorable storm forming conditions.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks Keith. Truly humbling to see what havoc such a storm creates. I certainly appreciate being warm, dry and safe and wish those involved a speedy recovery.

Cindy Adair

At least 10,000 dead in Philippines from super typhoon, official says

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/10/us-philippines-typhoon-idUSBRE9A603Q20131110

Nature's destructive power is truly mind-blowing...I hope that not too many suffered throughout that Typhoon as it was a monster.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

What happened in the Philippines is a tragedy beyond words. There are videos throughout U tube portraying the intensity of this typhoon at its height and the heartbreaking aftermath. Unbelievable :(

Hmm.

Ask Ken about Andrew in Florida. And when it got through there it marched right up the Gulf of Mexico and put another hit on Louisiana. 3 weeks before power was restored here.

When I visited back in 2007/2008 Ken showed me pictures of his place, before and after. I hadn't seen any YouTube videos of the damage at that time. It was startling. Just total destruction. Pretty much not a stick standing anywhere.

There was an orchid greenhouse in the "back bay" section of Miami, Jones & Scully ("the Orchid People") who used to put out the most magnificent printed catalogues. The richness of those color pictures! The slightly loopy pomposity of their prose . . . (Amazon sells bound volumes today. Jones and Scully catalogues. http://www.amazon.com/Jones-Scully-Catalogs-bound-volumes/product-reviews/B0056ZUHFM )

Their greenhouses were designed to be "impervious to any hurricane." As the Titanic was to ships, J & S's greenhouses were to greenhouses in hurricanes. The whole place was utterly destroyed. I read somewhere that people found labels from plants floating in the Gulf of Mexico, hundreds of miles away.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

check this out

when a tropical storm gets to a crazy intensity the eye is no longer clear and round.

it forms a hex shape from the insane inner eye vortexes

this may have been what happend last week

here is an example from another storm

isabel_eye_lg1002.gif

Edited by trioderob

That's not completely reliable--Hurricane Andrew remains one of the strongest storms in recorded history--not to say it's not a tragedy to all those effected by this new typhoon.

It reminds me so what I experienced with the tsunami in Mirissa, South coast of Sri Lanka where I stayed 2 weeks after the tsunami... I am still shocked.

Such a deep sadness.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

cebu-city-1.jpg

the city in this photo I posted earlier was conpletely desimated - it took the hardest hit mother nature has ever dished out in a tropical storm

post-6735-0-75897900-1384287794_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I don't listen to "alarmists", I listen to scientists (and I am one). It's nice that we live in a country in which I will proudly defend your right to speak your mind. But as far as the facts go, you're basically yelling at all of us that the sky is pink. . .

Whatever helps you sleep at night, but so long as you don't hurt anybody you're welcome to your opinion.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/11/12/supertyphoon_haiyan_a_glimpse_of_the_future_now.html

This and the following article go a long way to simplify the reasons why we think global warming is strengthening storms (on average).

Keep in mind, "cherry-picking" is saying:

I don't cherry-pick a single season, I look at the multi-decadal trend of climate and storms.

When you look at the big, long picture, the argument for no anthropogenic global warming falls short every way you look at it.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

This link shows satellite pictures of the areas devastated by Typhoon (Haiyan) Yolanda before and after the storm passed.

Just drag the cursor across the picture.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/typhoon-haiyan-photos-before-after/

I can only imagine how it actually is on the ground

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Or perhaps you'd feel more comfortable helping through these organizations:

http://news.yahoo.com/how-to-help-donate-to-victims-of-super-typhoon-haiyan-195111618.html

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Really impressive Gene. Your before and after link is quite compelling and your follow up posts make it harder for us to look the other way while we're safe and secure.

No excuses so I am making a donation now.

Cindy Adair

I just learned that some are having problems donating through the Philippines Red Cross website but I guess it is also possible to give a donation for the Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) Victims through the American Red Cross Website:

http://www.redcross.org/

Thank you so much

Gene

Manila, Philippines