IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Manambe Lavaka 2013

MattyB

Enjoyed the tour, looks like its grown a lot since you last posted a tour. What is the palm to the right (leaves poking into the picture) of the Sabal yapa in post #13?

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Of coarse you don't want to leave your most prized palm to the wolves, but when you have those spares that you don't know what to do with then yeah. My first thought would be Pseudophoenix. I bet a 7 galloner or bigger would make it and still look good.

I have a 3' tall Beccariophoenix alfredii in a 5gal, actual gallons so closer to a 7gal, in a super quick draining mix that doesn't hold a lot of moisture and I didn't water it for 2 weeks in the middle of summer and it looked perfectly fine

The work you put in always shows. Nothing out of place. Your pathways are very inviting. Thanks for the tour.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Of coarse you don't want to leave your most prized palm to the wolves, but when you have those spares that you don't know what to do with then yeah. My first thought would be Pseudophoenix. I bet a 7 galloner or bigger would make it and still look good.

I have a 3' tall Beccariophoenix alfredii in a 5gal, actual gallons so closer to a 7gal, in a super quick draining mix that doesn't hold a lot of moisture and I didn't water it for 2 weeks in the middle of summer and it looked perfectly fine

B. alfredii def would be a palm on the list to try for that area or also Ravenea glauca or Trithrinax campestris. I think any more less than 10 inches a year of rainfall and you are getting close to a Death Valley climate. Really a perfect spot to test "drought hardy palms" or for palms that might be tougher than suspected like Beccariophoenix alfredii.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

What is the palm to the right (leaves poking into the picture) of the Sabal yapa in post #13?

That's the Pritchardia martii. If you go up a couple pics you can see the S. yapa behind the P. martii.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

do not show my wife that

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I've said it before and I will say it again. Matt's garden is very inspiring. The amount and quality if the hardscape work is more impressive than even the plants. The planning and layout that compliment all the rock work are beyond amazing. I can't wait to see how this garden continues to mature and amaze over the decades to come.

B. alfredii def would be a palm on the list to try for that area or also Ravenea glauca or Trithrinax campestris. I think any more less than 10 inches a year of rainfall and you are getting close to a Death Valley climate. Really a perfect spot to test "drought hardy palms" or for palms that might be tougher than suspected like Beccariophoenix alfredii.

I got a freebie R.glauca that my friend dug out and put in a 5gal, plant is probably about 2' tall and it had almost no roots when I got it. even though there was little to no roots (old roots rotted out) all the leaves on the R.glauca looked perfect, no brown tipping or dead fronds. I've always been amazed by super tough palms and R.glauca is up there

Incredible trasnformation of the land. Great garden of a great man. Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. All my respect!

Had to share last night's sunset. B)

post-126-0-92671900-1383927951_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-77721300-1383927956_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-39397400-1383927962_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-30059300-1383927967_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

More pics! My wife asked me to do some before and afters.

post-126-0-06867900-1383942071_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-17968400-1383942073_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-26192200-1383942076_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-28026700-1383942079_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-75308500-1383942083_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-21552600-1383942090_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That's it Matt. I give up. I'll be planting tumbleweed this weekend. That should grow.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Matt was there any stuff that was there when you moved in that you kept? I know you have kept some native chaparel but what about any that was planted. I love the way you incorporated the natives with the palms on the hillside.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Nick, I kept two apple trees, that's it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looks amazing, Matty! It's time for another visit.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Hey Matt......just got in from an all day garden cleanup and what does the wife bring in? A little piece of YOUR garden! post-97-0-32245200-1384041764_thumb.jpg

I'll probably be the only guy in N. Fl. with an ice cream bean tree! I will keep you I nformed of the progress.....thanks my friend.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Garden looks fantastic as always. Your running a one man botanical garden over there.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hey Matt......just got in from an all day garden cleanup and what does the wife bring in? A little piece of YOUR garden! 20131109_175234.jpg

I'll probably be the only guy in N. Fl. with an ice cream bean tree! I will keep you I nformed of the progress.....thanks my friend.

Haha, sweet!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Believe it or not, Death Valley spans multiple climate zones ranging between many thousands of feet in elevation. The hottest parts average about 20 degrees warmer in the summer than Matt's climate. I didn't know this before visiting, it's simply amazing!

Some wildlife shots from Manambe Lavaka.

Roadrunner

post-126-0-51615300-1384277395_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-14328300-1384277405_thumb.jpg

Video below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfvNbIcJALg&feature=youtu.be

Darnit! How do you guys get the youtube player embeded into the post?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Cool fog settled in the valley below. I used a night time setting and set my camera on the banister and it took like a 6 second exposure. It worked.

post-126-0-61428600-1384278592_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'd say they're 30-40 Lbs, equivalent to a skinny medium sized dog. We've seen some real skinny ones, but these 4 all looked pretty good.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

A few days ago I saw a Bobcat for the first time ever. The neighbors have spotted him, but I've never seen him. Native scrub holds a lot of different species.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

i wish we got more variety of wildlife other than gophers, possums, raccoons, and skunks

We used to have a lot of critters in our backyard. Since I got my two Jindo's, no more skunks / opposums / squirrels / raccoons to worry about. :mrlooney:

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

MattyB, Jen, and Dogs, your gardens are astonishing! All that in six years? JuSt WoW!! :greenthumb::wub:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

I can't really say because the R. borinquena were planted very small and the larger R. regia was dug up and transplanted a few years ago. I suspect that R. borinquena grows faster but I'll have to see what my small R. regia does over the next couple of years to have an accurate comparison.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link, it was worth it indeed.

I already noticed how incredible the development of your garden was a few years ago on this forum, but these recent updates are again very impressive.

And what a start: Satakentia, bottle, and Carpoxylon, exactly the species I was most interested in seeing.

Well done Matty, you really give San Diego a true subtropical name. :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

And Pinanga cæsia... congratulations!

I really enjoyed (among many others) your Pritchardia beccariana, one of my favourite Hawaiian, it seems it has the geometrical look of the ultra-tropical species (the non-hawaiian): P. pacifica, P. thurstonii, etc.

Superb plant!

And the rain forest, hey... Nice plantings! That's scenic and with a such nice atmosphere. This is not dry low scrubland any more!!! It looks so good, just want to sit there and enjoy the lush vibes!

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Thanks Sebastian!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"