IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Inland Central Florida coconut palm - in ground almost 6 years

royalpaulm

I planted this Green Malayan Dwarf palm with only 1 feet of wood in March 2008. Since then, we have seen many cold nights in inland central Florida (west Orange County) but this palm has not only survived but thrived. My trick is to use simple store bought heat lamps (Lowes, HD, etc) and point at the crown. I use up to three of them on the nights below 35 degrees.

For frost, I use only a 30" industrial size fan pointed directly at the fronds from a distance of about 12 feet. I find the gentle movement of the fronds prevents frost from settling on the palm itself and no damage has been caused.

This green Malayan dwarf palm flowers every single year but does not always fruit (last fruit was 2009).

Paul

post-4505-0-64281600-1383539330_thumb.jp

Paul, holey moley, it's beautiful :drool: ….how do you place the lamps?

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

i have always wondered if strategically placed infrared heaters could work .

Good work .

Thanks .

Has anyone tried the tape style water pipe heaters with built in thermostats ?

i have always wondered if strategically placed infrared heaters could work .

Good work .

Thanks .

Has anyone tried the tape style water pipe heaters with built in thermostats ?

If Walt from Lake Placid finds this thread, hell give you the full scoop!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I planted this Green Malayan Dwarf palm with only 1 feet of wood in March 2008. Since then, we have seen many cold nights in inland central Florida (west Orange County) but this palm has not only survived but thrived. My trick is to use simple store bought heat lamps (Lowes, HD, etc) and point at the crown. I use up to three of them on the nights below 35 degrees.

For frost, I use only a 30" industrial size fan pointed directly at the fronds from a distance of about 12 feet. I find the gentle movement of the fronds prevents frost from settling on the palm itself and no damage has been caused.

This green Malayan dwarf palm flowers every single year but does not always fruit (last fruit was 2009).

Paul

Great work Paul! I remember you posting about this palm a number of years ago when it was first planted....glad to see its still there.

I think that you made a wise selection on Coconuet variety in going with one of the dwarf variety (as it should go vertical more slowly than some of the other varieties, which will allow you to provide protection for a longer period of time). I have a bunch of Maypans in Bokeelia that have added ~8 ft of trunk in ~2 years, which would make protective efforts very difficult.

Larry 

I remember your posts on gardenweb, nice to see you on PT! You tried out a Jamaican tall as well if I remember correctly, is that still alive? You should consider growing a Beccariophoenix alfredii also.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

You should consider growing a Beccariophoenix alfredii also.

Yes yes yes. IMO this should be used all over Central FL as a Coconut replacement. 99% of the "look" without the hassle.

Larry