IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

algore, why hast thou abandoned me?

John Case

Too dang cold around here... :winkie:

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I woke up last night shivering because I had the windows open and the air coming in the room was too cold.

It was 61 degrees...

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Same here Zeeth.......windows and doors wide open the past 2-3 days.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Ha ha, funny thread title, I've resisted posting a rant about the weather, but now that you've opened the flood gates...

Weather here's been unusually cold for Fall here along the coast, usually we have a nice "Indian Summer" but this year, it's been crap, with much more of a marine influence than usual, and that marine layer is significantly colder than usual, with lows down to 41F overnight with overcast fog. These are the types of temps we get in December and January, not mid October.

This is a sign that we're in for a long rainy Winter. I really wonder how many of my experimental dypsis will still be alive in Spring with this much cold this early. The experimental stuff includes orange crush, prestoniana, utilis, robusta, schottiana and the fake heteromorpha. The real heteromorpha doesn't appear to be in cultivation anywhere that I can tell.

I am loving it. Ready for the fire pit.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am loving it. Ready for the fire pit.

Keith, you got the right attitude. This Morning there was that wonderful smell that shows up just after the rain. And at night it's cold enough to get the fireplace going. I'm also loving it. Crisp and cool out there, it's definitely sweater palm weather around here.

All that matters is that the Aloha spirit lives on in the chill of Winter. If you've got sunshine in your heart Winter can't get you down. As they say down in your neck of the woods, Mo bien, mèsi.

• 1 month later...

I am now ready for the apologies, after being told that I had nothing to worry about....... :winkie:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Gonna be a chilly 47 tonight in Los Angeles. Cold must be following me around.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The cool nights are welcome around here. I love the fresh air in the house. The palms are fine so far too. Though I dragged the real tropical palms inside the greenhouse on Thanksgiving eve. The Cyrtostachys renda is getting too tall!

I am now ready for the apologies, after being told that I had nothing to worry about....... :winkie:

Maybe it's bad karma because you didn't vote for Al. :)

Actually, blame Keith, I think the cold is following him around. 47F as a low is going to be down right balmy come Wed and Thurs.

I am not liking the looks of Wed and Thur AM. At least its now mainly these two days.

Maybe it's bad karma because you didn't vote for Al. :)

Actually, blame Keith, I think the cold is following him around. 47F as a low is going to be down right balmy come Wed and Thurs.

I am not liking the looks of Wed and Thur AM. At least its now mainly these two days.

L.A. lows over the weekend predicted at 39, but you can't blame it on me. I am now off the hook, tomorrow I will be landing back in Louisiana to a balmy 80 degrees.

We're having another of those fun "yesterday's low at 11:59pm is today high" kinda days. . .

down to 21F so far.

I will be turning up the space heater and reading a book under the banana trees in my basement tonight.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Kind of hard to have much sympathy for people compaining about 47F when it was 19F at my house this morning, and is only up to 21F now supposedly on it's way to a balmy 23F for a high...

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.