Sign in to follow this  
DoomsDave

"Dwarf" palms for the shade

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

After I took out my Ladies of Doom, there's a nice strip along my front walk that needs some small palms in it.

Cham. adscendens, turckheimii, and?

Reinhardtias . . . .

Dypsis macdonaldii

any others?

I'd like them to stay about 6 feet tall or less, at least for a couple of decades.

Any thoughts?

DoomsDave

No one has any thoughts?

Cindy Adair

I can think of many, but most are probably too tender for you and I didn't want to make you sad unnecessarily. Surely some California growers have some great ideas.

KennyRE317

I haven't even started thinking about understory palms

Dave-Vero

I picked up a bunch of Chamaedoreas at the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society's sale earlier this month. Now to finish off some declining grass and move some bromeliads to make room for them, a Dypsis saintelucei, and the little Lytocaryum that I got to keep the existing one company. Gotta figure out how much sun the Dypsis wants.

rick

Not sure how much width you have but Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana might work. Mine isnt the fastest grower but so far it hasnt been a pretty care free palm in a deep shade spot. There are some of the small dypsis: d. remotiflora, d. lutea, d. caudata

sgvcns

unarmed understorey palms are what my palm passion is.

I really like the geonomas but they have a reputation as fussy. Bring on machrostachys seed and others though..

Dypsis would be most likely in your area but the small ones seem to need humidity etc. Think thiryana for example.

If long term they can grow then paludosa & gracilis(Pink crownshaft) are good for me.

I think cham pinnatifrons would do well also.

I can't wait to try all that were collected on a recent trip to colombia.

Hyospathe elegans is a palm I fell in love with and I have the opportunity to kill lots.

Small palms are rewarding but they can be slow to give a statement because of their size. When something is 1m when mature they take years.to get their. Don't need a mulcher though.for fronds.

Big is not better

Steve

Kim

A little forest of Chamaedorea metallica would look nice.

akamu

kerriodoxa elegans basselinia glabrata variegated rhapis dypsis mirabilis all these are growing low and slow in our garden but doing well in the shade about 2-3 leaves per year you probably have these already but colorful none the less. Of course many chamaedorea to choose from radicalis adscendens mettalica etc. that's my 2cents

DoomsDave

A little forest of Chamaedorea metallica would look nice.

I agree, but I already have that.

joe_OC

You already answered your own question... A planter filled with adscendens...I must picked up 7 of them that are already seeding.

Perito

Chamaedorea oreophila is nice also. They have cute little white spots on the trunk after the leaf bases come off.

DoomsDave

Chamaedorea oreophila is nice also. They have cute little white spots on the trunk after the leaf bases come off.

I have them, too, elsewhere in the garden.

But, thanks for the suggestion!

grant b.

I know you just ripped out your rhaphis, but despite being similar, both species of chuniophoenix would work. nana being the smaller one and hainanensis being the slower one.

akamu

chuniophoenix is a great little palm I like that idea :greenthumb:

DoomsDave

yeah

thanks