IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTalk Forum is at Risk of Closing! Help!

Ken Johnson

Most members already have these emails but thought I would post them here:

Leland Lai: lelandlai@aquafauna.com

Jeff Brusseau: jbrusseau@newportnational.biz

Ray Hernandez: subtropicofcancer@hotmail.com

Susan Hubbell: sushubbell@aol.com

Larry Noblick: Inob@montgomerybotanical.org

Michael Merritt: merritt4154@gmail.com

Jim Cain: jim.cain@cain-barnes.com

Other directors not above do not have emails listed but can be emailed through IPS site with membership

Bad bad bad. No Palmtalk no membership from me. This is the only part of the ips that I use. HUGE mistake

:rant: HUGE mistake

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

It seems like we've entered some alternate universe. From what I've read if the BOD gets it's way here it will make Palmtalk and in turn the IPS less inclusive. From comments so far, the IPS will lose a big chunk of the membership, all to alter a very popular website that I think most members feel was working splendidly.

• Upvote 2

Perry Glenn

SLO Palms

(805) 550-2708

http://www.slopalms.com

Without the PM feature, plants for sale threads will not stop. For example: hey guys check out this E. longifolius with 2" of caudex. I paid $50 for it. Hit me up If you wanna keep in touch. Mattbradford@cox.net

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I will never pay to use any aspects of this forum that are currently available for free. truthfully, I never agreed wirh needing to have an ips membership for the plants offered section.

I encourage eveyone to post their email in protest.

Steve_sikorski@yahoo.com

• Upvote 1

This could end up being the the best thing too happen for palmtalk as many of us really don't have any idea what goes on in the board of directors minds and meetings. The same old people just seem to stay rootbound in the round table by way of self perpetuation as no new people seem to have interest to get involved(me). Seems a great way to take advantage of a stagnant rotting ship and casting off with a new crew on a shiny new vessel into a more progressive forum of palmtalk instead of wasting money on boring IPS print! I too will drop my membership as well.

• Upvote 2

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I wouldn't have half my palm collection without seed organised through PM's and the generosity of members of this forum, legal or not

I made the choice that when I send seeds to Palmtalk friends who PM me, its for free and will always be so, is it illegal? It's my personal decision.

How can a personal agreement be illegal, and who can decide what is illegal on Palmtalk? do IPS belong to FBI or CIA?

Do you notice that otherwise we all (on the world) depend on RPS which banner is far more visible than any IPS mark?

Which interest are the IPS directors protecting? Their exclusivity ?

Philippe

Like soooo many of my friends here on PalmTalk. If it goes away, so does my membership to the IPS.

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Being a non-member forum user I was always under the illusion that palm talk was the nucleus of IPS. Considering our main form of communication is via email/internet now days, I would have thought that most IPS members use this forum. Is that not the case? Are there loads of members who do not use this forum? And many directors? How do they communicate? Aren't societies all about discussing and sharing of ideas and information of common interest? Seems bizarre that many of the directors aren't involved in the forum. :bemused:

• Upvote 1

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Some people just dont get it. As a non IPS member I dont have a right to discuss BOD politics but U guys can vote them out.

Living in area where many enthusiasts cant afford any internet memberships I would like to add that IPS would loose international touch making PT a PPV forum. This is a free World and with all this contacts we all have here somewhere will be new "PT" forum made in no time and no meter where.

THANK YOU PALMTALK for introducing all this WONDERFUL and HELPFUL people ALL OVER THE WORLD

Ante Grbavac

dalmatiansoap@gmail.com

• Upvote 1

In the grand scheme of things I personally believe the IPS needs Palm Talk more than Palm Talk needs the IPS. Membership, broad levels of palm education, timely information, palm contacts, palm friendships, etc. are all generated through Palm Talk. The IPS and its journal do none of that. Possibly the trail dust from the wheels of the Board’s covered wagons has obscured the reality that the rest of us have entered the electronic age.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to say I agree with the concensus that the Board needs to become directly involved with Palm Talk as its primary outreach. It is pathetic that some board members are clueless about PT.

Mike

• Upvote 1

I’ve been away from PT for a few days and was stunned when I got on about an hour ago - I hope the board members read this thread, although it sounds like very few of them are ever here.

No one has questioned how the Board has been keeping track of the number of PMs that involve the purchase, trade or sale of palms. I thought they were PERSONAL messages. I’d like to know how the Board acquired its statistics and if there is an independent agency that verifies them.

The only way to insure that Palm Talk not only stays the way it is but continues to grow by encouraging and educating palm lovers is for more of us to be on the Board. I have decided to run for a board seat and hope that many of you will do the same.

Lee

• Upvote 1

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Does IPS alone have so much information and photographs as Palmtalk content?

Searching palm species names on google, it happened so many times that I came to a Palmtalk thread, it's how I sign in on PT and soon after went to IPS...

Do we need IPS for enjoying Palmtalk?

Philippe

I am a Director. I have been a member for almost 30 years. I know the history of the IPS.

The BOD meeting was in the rain forest of deep Eastern Peru. It was in such a ridiculous location that I could not afford to go. I'm sure that members had their minds on touring more than IPS business but a few of them must of had their agendas all set so they could take yet another shot a ending PalmTalk. Lawyers were used to develop a contract (after all these years!) to offer the person that currently runs PalmTalk who BTW has his signature on everything from the passwords to the checks to pay for it. I don't think the contract worked.

We will be able to see who voted and how when the minutes come out. Since our organization is based in Florida we fall under the sunshine law which says that all non-profits must keep all their records public. I have no problem posting the minutes and any associated emails or recordings here on PalmTalk. Yes, most of the meeting have recorders present. Just ask and you shall receive.

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I am sure that most of us here on Palmtalk are used to living in democratic societies where our vote is our most effective way to have our say!

With this in mind the timing of this shocking news probably could not be better, it seems nominations and elections of the BOD are almost upon us. After reading Lee's post above I remembered reading Kim's thread a short while ago in another section of Palmtalk. I have just re-read that thread and have found some very wise comments from our beloved Mod.

I hope you don't mind me posting this here Mr Mod, if you do please feel free to modify this post as you see fit!! The following is a quote from our Moderator from another thread.....

"I don't think it improper if I make my thoughts known regarding the pending IPS elections. Of course, the more candidates and member voters that become involved the better.

My primary concern is to assure that the IPS Board of Directors realize the value of PalmTalk and continue their support. Toward that end, I would like to offer my endorsement to those candidates who have some familiarity with PalmTalk. Kim is very involved with PT, and there are others. I would welcome any IPS Member here who would consider serving on the Board as a candidate. And I think most PT users would as well.

It is no secret that I would like to see more IPS Directors use and participate on PalmTalk. That is what will assure their continued support. So, either existing Directors begin using PalmTalk, or we elect existing PalmTalk users as Directors. So feel free to use this venue to campaign for votes should you chose to throw your hat in the ring."

End quote...

I for one will be very happy to make sure that my vote goes to a Palmtalk regular!!

In future I can be found at beenjamin0@hotmail.com

• Upvote 1

I too,only joined IPS out of gratitude for providing and letting me use this wonderful forum which has helped me immensely in multiple ways,from learning how to grow palms successfully,how to create microclimates and how palm growing works out with them even in less than ideal climates,as well as in acquiring palms and other plants that are normally difficult to get and find. I have very high respect for PalmTalk and its moderators and out of gratitude,joined IPS years ago. But i dont benefit anywhere near as much from any other aspect of IPS as i do from PalmTalk. The Palms magazine is nice and a pleasant read but rarely do i get any practical info out of it or contains species i really like and want to carefully read about their scientific descriptions. Nice magazine but not enough to pay the membership! My renewal month is near so this came just in time...If something happens to PalmTalk,i doubt i will consider renewing...It was all for PalmTalk and its members,for all the friendships i have formed and knowledge i have gained...

With respect,

-Konstantinos Giannopoulos

giannopouloskonstantinos@gmail.com

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

The Board of Directors must CHANGE! Please vote! Leave Palmtalk as is, or LOSE MY MEMBERSHIP! Ed

• Upvote 2

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Kill the Golden Goose! Just how far out of touch with reality are these pencil necked geeks?

You get my vote Bubba!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Before joining PalmTalk, I was a lurker. PalmTalk is vast and thoroughly packed with info---it took me a while to actually join PalmTalk because I lacked confidence and was pretty overwhelmed. After joining PalmTalk, I made a donation because of the education PalmTalk provides and promotes is world wide first class. I didn't become a member of IPS only because I am still an amateur to palms and thought it'd be smarter to join the local chapter first: learn local then learn global.

But now......I'm rethinking my stance. I think it'd be smarter to join IPS and so then to gain the right to vote for PalmTalk people for BoD. This seems a smarter way to go, right.....btw....I hope to not lose any IM...or is it called PM...anyway.....you do not want me to go on and on about menopause in public, do you???? lol!!

Edited by ThreepointtwoWhites
  • Upvote 1

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Just saw this today. What a hair-brained idea in today's world!

I am not a member of IPS because I think the journal is for scientists and not everyday palm enthusiasts. I get much more value from PalmTalk than the journal. For you members, vote these old stuck in last century people off the BOD and get some new blood from the current century!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I am still in Peru and do not have the time to read all the posts here, nor the time to respond properly so just a quick couple of comments:

Transparency is important. What happened during the BOD meeting WILL be made known here.

Five Directors voted against shutting down the PM system (myself, Kim, Toby, Jack/elHoagie and Tim/realarch). Everybody else voted in favor of shutting it down.

An election is coming up soon, with Directors for the 2014-2018 period to be voted in. Deadline for nominations is Nov. 20th, so still time. Having more Directors on the Board who understand the value of PalmTalk will be of great help. There WILL be dedicated threads here on PT about who is running, and we hope all who are active here will participate in the election. Every IPS member will have a voice and this is the perfect time to make use of it.

More when I get home.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Will the vote be held at the biennial in Florida or in some remote location the the Congo?

I ask because that's a great way to make sure some people (palmtalkers) don't go.

Very,very interesting Bo. There seems to be two issues here, the main one being that PM's be continued or taken away altogether. And the second, and maybe not so serious would be the issue of taking away PalmTalk for good. And IMO, that would hurt the IPS in more ways than one. And it's good to know that transparency comes with no filters.

Elections are coming up, so everyone that can, PLEASE vote, and vote for who you know would be the best possible canidate and do the best for the IPS. I have often thought of running myself, but after doing so in the mid 90's, and getting beat by two unknowns and that they are now looooooong gone, I still have a sour taste in my mouth. Also the BOD meetings in between the Biennials are costly and at this moment , it would be very hard to justify going to some exotic place on earth, instead of buying more potting soil, fertilizer, employee wages, etc. You get the picture. And I sincerely apologize for this.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

If PT stays but PM's are removed I can be reached at the following email

kzimmerman@mail.usf.edu

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I am looking forward to voting for Len, BGL, Kim, Toby, Jack/el Hoagie and Tim/realarch next election. Any one running that post on Palm talk regularly will get my vote as well!

The other existing BOD's will see my boot...

If we fail to save Palm Talk I am out!

Randy

• Upvote 1

test

Not an IPS member but wanted to share a little bit about the Founder. I am lucky to live near Melbourne, Florida which is the location of the FIT Botanical Gardens. Dent Smith has great history with this garden, even the main trail is named after him. I wonder what Dent Smith would think about this? In 1955, he conceived the idea of founding a palm society, to be "a loose grouping of people with a common interest" but "not another garden club".

If the internet was around in 1955 I believe Smith would have used the internet as his main vehicle to distribute his research and newsletter. Maybe these old timers don't realize that for those that can't make the big yearly trips, logging onto PT is like attending a biennial everyday!

He founded the IPS as, "an organization devoted to the study of palms, their propagation, culture, conservation, and care and development." I bet everyone of those topics could be found on the first two pages of the main discussion board.

Maybe these BODs that voted for the changes do not realize that their are several very well known sites dedicated to palms that would welcome PTer's with open arms. Most of us are already on these sites.

From a post by Kim:

Duties and expectations of the IPS Directors:

The Board of 34 Directors has general charge of the affairs and business of the Society including the management of the Society’s funds. Directors are expected to take an active role in Board activities by serving on appropriate committees set up for specific tasks and concerns. The Board meets once a year, at the Biennial meeting or at an Interim Meeting.

An ability and willingness to travel to all (or most) of the annual Board Meetings at the Director’s own expense is, by necessity, a strong consideration used by the Nominating Committee when selecting candidates. Directors are also expected to be accessible by e mail.

34 Directors? :bemused: and only 5 voted in favor of PT keeping IM/PM's? :hmm: Is something else going on here? That is just bizarre that 29 people would be that out of touch with the online activities of PT. The odds of electing enough PT friendly folks to seem to be insurmountable.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I am looking forward to voting for Len, BGL, Kim, Toby, Jack/el Hoagie and Tim/realarch next election. Any one running that post on Palm talk regularly will get my vote as well!

The other existing BOD's will see my boot...

If we fail to save Palm Talk I am out!

Randy

Reading between the lines on some other posts, I get the idea that Peru was an expensive trip to make and several Directors could not afford it, and therefore did not vote. Was it planned that way to weed out certain votes?

We know through Bo's post who is WITH PalmTalk. We need to know who voted against it.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Palmtalk = International palm hobbyists

IPS BODs = (For the most Part) Elitist palm society members

As long as they get their endowments, memberships don't mean a thing to them. They want to make the IPS a MORE exclusive society. Even if you want to be on the IPS BOD, they make the cost of entry so high, that many are turned off by it.

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

So we have to come up with an additional 15 PT friendly people?

An excerpt from a recent posting........

Wal,

Thanks for your thoughts. Contrary to popular belief (apparently), one's knowledge about palms is pretty much a non issue. A general interest is obviously to be expected of anyone who wants to become a Director, but what's important really has nothing to do with growing palms. The BOD meets once a year to make decisions that are related to the finances and the future of the IPS. Common sense and enthusiasm and ideally a certain business knowledge is what's important in order to participate in these discussions and decisions. "Growing palms" is not something that's discussed at BOD meetings.

Bo-Göran

Geez........why even have the "business meeting" in a remote palm location at all? This whole thing smacks me as ridiculous.

How much of the financial information of the IPS is available to IPS members........I would like to look at the books.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

For sure Dooms Dave and I did not go and that both of us would have voted not to stop PM's. I am not sure who the votes came from but I hope that some of them may change their minds.

Like many non profit groups we are relatively new to the use of the internet and since we don't have high paid advisers we have done what we can "on our own" to stay current. We will make mistakes from time to time and I hope this one is easily corrected and that IPS benefits greatly from it.

If any of you are interested in the history, mission, fundraising, accounting, or chairmanship of the IPS we always need Board members. There are often spaces left unfilled!

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I got this when I looked into it:

"Key Financials are not available as THE INTERNATIONAL PALM SOCIETY, INCORPORATED has not filed accounts. Accounts are required to be filed on or before 20/09/2013."

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

It would be nice to have a list of those who voted against Palmtalk.

And their contact information please.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I've joined IPS officially just a little while ago. Now I can vote for PalmTalk people. Not sure how it works, but you've got my vote!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink: