IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTalk Forum is at Risk of Closing! Help!

Ken Johnson

I do too!

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Ken,

Thanks for the clarification about compensation.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

I am going to be unable to respond to all the comments. I have my hands full dealing with this issue at the moment. But that doesn't mean to stop commenting. In fact, keep it up.

It is a complicated situation, and I am doing my best to save PT - believe me. It is not solely a money issue. Although if PT was bringing in gobs of money, I think the attitude would be different. It is partially a legal issue. And I can not take the time to go into it. I have been on conference calls between a PT Director of risk management and a New York attorney several times now. In short - simple disclaimers do not absolve people of liability. And web law is still being litigated and precedents being made. But to clarify what Ken said, the operative word is not trading plants "improperly" it has to do with trading plants "illegally."

It is very difficult dealing and communicating with the BOD the way things are set up. And things are further exasperated given the fact that so few Directors have a clue what PT is all about.

For now keep your interest focused here - especially IPS Members. IPS Members can make their thoughts known to the Directors. Feel free to bombard them with your feelings. And also, remember that elections are almost upon us. Having Directors voted in that understand and appreciate the value of PT would solve the whole problem. It will ultimately be the Directors that make any decisions.

Also - stay tuned for more info on how we may be able to use the coming elections to our advantage. If there was a majority of PT supporters on the BOD - problem solved.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I wouldn't have half my palm collection without seed organised through PM's and the generosity of members of this forum, legal or not - it's no-ones business except mine.

Can someone put up here a list of board nominees we can vote for who are less senile than the people responsible for this direction?

My IPS membership is over if this goes through.

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Upvote 2

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I really can't imagine why the closure of PalmTalk would be up for discussion. As has been said in previous comments on this thread, any concerns about liability could surely be addressed by a disclaimer.

It really makes no sense to close the forum and it would be a massive loss to palm-lovers worldwide.

Anyone have a copy of the IPS Bylaws?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Also - in order to be clear and not accused of drumming up a riot.....

The BOD had not directed that PT be closed. But without going into details - what they have proposed would be so damaging that IMO activity would be cut in half or possibly considerably more - and that I would reconsider whether I would wish to remain the Captain of a sinking ship.

But I have some fight in me. And if I can get enough support, I don't see how the BOD could ignore us. If they do, let's change the BOD.

Can someone put up here a list of board nominees we can vote for who are less senile than the people responsible for this direction?

My IPS membership is over if this goes through.

Cheers,

Jonathan

As mentioned - we already had a plan in action to get more PT representation on the BOD. It was to go into effect when everyone returns from Peru.

So if you care, stay tuned.

• Upvote 1

A weeks worth of shifts in a row right now, but I will try and post the emails of the Board of Directors in a list when I get a chance. Or maybe someone will beat me to it. This would be a great resource to use to fill up their inboxes with support for Palmtalk. Also, like Dean said, lets use our voting power to change the culture of the BOD, so that Palmtalk and IPS are considered one and the same

Dean - how about getting together a petition of IPS members on palmtalk to present to the board with our point of view and an ultimatum regarding future membership.

If we could get an idea of numbers, we could present them with an actual $ figure that would be lost to the IPS in dues recieved - extrapolated out for say five years for maximum impact.

Unfortunately money talks...

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Upvote 2

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I think we should mail the BOD a palm leaflet from everyone supporting palmtalk everyday until they back off. Maybe having a few hundred envelopes show up at there house everyday would help them get a clue.

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

My membership in IPS is up for renewal right now.......think I might hang on to my money until the fossils on the BOD get a reality check or die, either option is suitable. I have sent and received plants and seeds from all over the world which would have been impossible without palm talk. One day they will realise that PT is an asset not a liability that they seem to see it as.

PO'd Peachy

• Upvote 2

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I have been a member of the IPS for more than thirty years. Palmtalk is a very resourceful tool.It is probably the only source of recruiting new members. Wake up people! No Palmtalk, No more IPS for me and others!

• Upvote 2

I sincerely hope the IPS board does not follow through and close the Palmtalk forum

. If it wasn't for PT i would not have joined the IPS and still would only have 5 species of palm own my property instead of 65 species @ 43 Deg south ! Not to mention that in this online instant media society where members can and expect to be exposed to online advice and information related to all aspects of palm cultivation /habitat photos etc would be in my opinion a backward step for sure .

Also i have made a lot of great friends through this forum in Australia and in the USA !

Goes without saying that if there is no more PT i won't be rejoining the IPS !

Troy

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Although I do not post often, I spend my IPS member dues primarily for supporting this Palmtalk service, which I use regularly, including the PM function. I just got my IPS renewal notice and will hold off for now....

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Hmm, let me see, with IPS membership much lower than it used to be from years past, dropping PalmTalk now would be brilliant! I would certainly love to hear from any of the BOD's that are in favor of getting rid of PalmTalk. I seriously doubt that we will. Shame on you!

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

There's not an inkling in hell that I would remain a member of the IPS without PalmTalk. It is the only reason I'm a member. PERIOD. What value is the IPS without the community. Get the messenger working pronto. This is like the U.S. government discontinuing collecting taxes for fear of related liabilities. Palmtalk is the only, I repeat, only reason, you are relevant in any way, shape or form. You absolutely seal the demise of your organization.

• Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Just talked to a BOD, this person assured me that PalmTalk is reasonably safe, it's private messaging that could be jeopardy. Especially in the trade/selling of certain plants. The radar is tuned in....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I am not a member of IPS... PT is the only window to the outside world of palms that I have... Would support any initiative that could keep the ship sailing...!

I will not renew my membership if PT goes away.

This year I did $15k worth of business with IPS members through Palmtalk. Now I would normally not post my financial dealings publicly, but as many of you know this year was pretty special for me. Palmtalk was critical in all of my palm buying decisions. It provided a primary source of information and subsequent communication. It allowed me to interact with knowledgeable experts in the field quickly and efficiently. This economic activity would probably have never occurred without my associations gained by frequent Palmtalk use.

I spoke with a local nurseryman today about the acquisition of mule palm seedlings for his retail business. I directed him towards Palmtalk members who have these plants available. More possible legitimate business activity made possible by PT. It would be a shame to lose this resource.

Again.....I will not renew my membership if PT goes away

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I just the other day received an email notification that my IPS membership dues were due in January 2014. If Palmtalk goes away, I go away with it. No more IPS dues from me. So Board of Directors -- take heed!

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

Apologies in advance for being so outspoken about this however, any decision taken to radically change or remove PT would be disastrous!

PalmTalk is without a doubt, THE definitive source of information and knowledge for palm lovers and collectors worldwide. Not only that, but

it is a place where fellow enthusiast can come and share their pictures, their thoughts and even a joke or two.

For me, living here in Vietnam, PT is about the only place where I can come and share my enthusiasm with others, as people with the same

potty obsession as myself are a rare as hen's teeth in this neck of the woods.

However, the fact remains that if the BoDs wish to alienate a large percentage of IPS members, then they are going the right way about it. For me

PalmTalk is the IPS and without this board, I too will walk away.....

• Upvote 1

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

I was an IPS member last year but haven't renewed yet because of financial hardship. I planned to as soon as the funds were available, but not if Palmtalk is shut down. Even removing the PM function seems ridiculous. I won't be allowed to contact someone asking how their garden is doing, or ask for pictures of a palm that I know they have but don't want to spam the entire board because of one request? I've grown my fair share of palms from seeds mailed to me by incredibly generous palmtalk members that I talked to via PM. If it weren't for this, my garden would be only stuff that I can get at local botanical gardens (Kopsick) because I'm on a very tight budget as far as palms go. The other option is just emailing people, which seems like a work around that nets the same result as allowing PM's to continue.

If IPS discontinues Palmtalk I won't renew my membership even when I do get the funds. If they discontinue PM's, I'll post an email my signature if people want to contact me. I hope others do the same.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Anyone have a copy of the IPS Bylaws?

Wait, aren't you a Board Member. You signed on without seeing the Bylaws?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just talked to a BOD, this person assured me that PalmTalk is reasonably safe, it's private messaging that could be jeopardy. Especially in the trade/selling of certain plants. The radar is tuned in....

Jeff - don't know who you talked to but this was also in the email about turning the PM system off. And that would include the Chat Room as well.

"I also want the PT committee to look into a trial period of free use (w/out PM provision) for anyone and after such period, they join the IPS or get locked out."

When a door closes another opens. In IPS closing PT, if might be realized that they were holding it back more than they were facilitating it. Not saying that is the case, but if it is, it would not be a unique occurrence.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kill the Golden Goose! Just how far out of touch with reality are these pencil necked geeks?

What you look for is what is looking

Please don't close Palm Talk. I still have a lot to learn & certainly would not renew my IPS Membership.

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Am I the only one that primarily joins the IPS so that I can advertise my extra plants on PalmTalk? I really think membership would suffer without PalmTalk.

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I have not read one complete IPS magazine yet I have been a member for a few years. I actually just paid my 3year renewal because I use Palmtalk. If Palmtalk goes, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

• Upvote 2

"this has to be some sort of pre- Halloween trick" was my first thought when I saw this topic when I got home earlier.. Really frustrating that altering a forum like this would even be considered. As stated by many fellow members here, PalmTalk is and has been one of the greatest places to acquire and share knowledge of palms, let alone a plethora of other plant goodies. The forum is also a great collection of passionate personalities from every walk of life who share a common interest.

While it took a couple years, as well as some encouragement from people id had crossed paths with to join PT, I always look forward to checking in and seeing what the latest topic is, or just for a few laughs after a long day, even if I don't have much to add to a particular subject.

Beyond that, whenever I have had customers/co-workers/friends, etc approach me regarding info on growing a, b, or c palm specimens they may be considering to add to their garden, I always add in, "feel free to check out PalmTalk. It is probably the best site dedicated to palms on the web". I have no doubt that some of these people have gained additional info here. To loose a resource of this magnitude would be a disgrace. Whether it be palms, or roses, the world needs places like this to learn from.

Ironic as it is, I was contemplating whether or not to wait until I am back in Florida to sign on with the IPS. That decision is now on hold. Loose this incredible resource, and I will place any contributions elsewhere.

-Nathan- Silas_Sancona

I have not read one complete IPS magazine yet I have been a member for a few years. I actually just paid my 3year renewal because I use Palmtalk. If Palmtalk goes, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

I would second that only because I have paid as well however I want to stick around to see how this train wreck goes down. Like mentinoned before there is a elephant in the room and this problem is easily taken care of. This to me seems like a linching.

The main reason I joined the IPS was Palm Talk.

Just guessing but I'd say 50% or more of new members come directly from palmtalk.

Jeff

So did I,

If Palmtalk change, it'll be a strong sadness and no use anymore, Palm magazine is far not enough for staying in IPS, so I'll leave.

Sad regards

Philippe

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka