IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spell check not working on Firefox + Mac OSX

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Dean, I don't know how much control you have over what goes on with ip.board, and if you can do some HTML/JavaScript tweaking, but the CK editor used by the board is improperly implemented for Firefox on OSX.

The CK Editor plugin that ip.board uses requires a declaration "config.disableNativeSpellChecker = false" otherwise the native editor in Mac OSX that firefox leverages won't work. That needs to be in the config file for the editor.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13336998/how-to-make-spell-checker-work-for-ckeditor-wysiwyg-editor, it spells out how to fix the problem.

Interesting - I did some checking.

Short answer - I don't want to be messing with lines of code in third party plugins based on suggestions from a website - even though what you say appears to be true. I could find no reference to it on the Invision support forum, and I don't want to get mixed up in potential conflicts with other plugins and/or patches that CK, Firefox, or Invision may implement in the future. It just isn't that big a deal to very many people IMO. And someone could patch it at any time through normal upgrade channels.

I will do some more checking though. And if you have any other useful info, please advise. Your link is about a year old. And my spell check using that configuration works, but I can't tell if it is working as well as it should - doesn't appear to be.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean, I don't know how much control you have over what goes on with ip.board, and if you can do some HTML/JavaScript tweaking, but the CK editor used by the board is improperly implemented for Firefox on OSX.

The CK Editor plugin that ip.board uses requires a declaration "config.disableNativeSpellChecker = false" otherwise the native editor in Mac OSX that firefox leverages won't work. That needs to be in the config file for the editor.

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13336998/how-to-make-spell-checker-work-for-ckeditor-wysiwyg-editor, it spells out how to fix the problem.

I'll take botanical Latin anyday over whatever the heck it is you just said!

Gonz, let me translate it for you.

Axels's question

Dean, I don't know how much control you have over the fact that I am a nerd, but being a nerd yourself, would you consider doing something nerdy for me.

The Editor plugin that Palmtalk uses requires a nerd to change it.

See this nerd document, it spells out how to make the change.

Dean's response

I am not messing up another Nerd's stuff

See, it's easy.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Axels's question

Dean, I don't know how much control you have over the fact that I am a nerd, but being a nerd yourself, would you consider doing something nerdy for me.

Dean's response

See, it's easy.

Whew! Thanks Keith, I owe ya one!

Dean got it, that's what matters. Dean, I'll post something on the ip.board site, see if it was logg

Axels's question

Dean's response

See, it's easy.

The nerdy people are the ones putting together all the computers that control pretty much 90% of your life - your bank, your car, your retirement, Wall Street, your online shopping experience. Good to learn a little nerd talk.

Maybe you can watch this: