IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

St. Valentine's Day Massacre..

BobbyinNY

(steve 9atx @ Feb. 15 2007,20:20)

Lord, Bobby, $2400 would keep me in juice for a year and a half!  Whatever you do, don't listen to the Home Depot types that will tell you you can buy a 50 amp generator and backfeed your service through a 220v range outlet or something like that.  I know you're smart enough not to mess around with the possiblity of burning your house down!

You're gonna sing "cry me a river", but we're going to break the record of 29F tonight set for this date in 1951 by a degree or two.  The worst part is that it's supposed to stay below freezing for the better part of nine hours which seldom happens in Houston.  Usually when we get a freeze it's for a 2-3 hours overnight and warms up considerably the next morning.  So, I actually had to get off my a$$ and dolly all the cirtus into the garage and a 7' spindle into the dining room.  The way houses are built here, I'll have to leave the water dripping all night to keep the pipes from freezing.

Here's to Spring,

Steve

Yep, supposed to be the coldest of the year over here in the SA area - mid 20s forecasted.  At least they are forecasting a pretty good warmup over the next few days.  That at least makes it tolerable.  Tired of cold, time for the heat.

Bobby,

By virtue of the Winter Elimination Proclamation (W.E.P.), I'm arranging that this cold snap be the last down here forever.  By the time you get to Tampa, it will be like Panama all year long.  Sound Ok to you?

Ray

Ray,

I would take 95-105f and sunny all year long... I second W.E.P.  all in favor say "I" ......

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Yep, supposed to be the coldest of the year over here in the SA area - mid 20s forecasted.  At least they are forecasting a pretty good warmup over the next few days.  That at least makes it tolerable.  Tired of cold, time for the heat.

Jim,

whether it's mid 20's or mid teens like it's been here..  It's all the same... too damn cold... If it's less that 70f, it might as well be 0....  the way I look at it is if I have to put a jacket on, it's too cold.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 15 2007,22:12)

If it's less that 70f, it might as well be 0....  the way I look at it is if I have to put a jacket on, it's too cold.

I think you better set your sights lower than FL!

Perhaps Kris in Madras could use a ranch hand?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

^^ Even in the keys, they have to throw a jacket on a couple times a winter, right.

Bobby, by Sat we're supposed to be back up to 70F, so hopefully the warmth isn't too far away.  The funny thing is, is that it's going to feel so warm, and all we are is getting back to normal (normal high is around 67-68F).

(syersj @ Feb. 15 2007,22:20)

^^ Even in the keys, they have to throw a jacket on a couple times a winter, right.

I guess it depends on ones tolerance.  My wife would have the heat on probably 2 months a year down there!  Ill bet its on 3 months a year up here.  

It does get into the 50's down there in the Keys quite a few times a year though, so in a poorly insulated house, it would certainly be rather cool inside.  

But, its the closest thing weve got to the tropics here on mainland USA.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I think you better set your sights lower than FL!

Perhaps Kris in Madras could use a ranch hand?

Ok, Ok guys...whew... I know I'm exaggerating a bit.... Obviously I can take lower than 70..... I'm so damn tired of feeling cold.... And it's partly my own fault because I live in a town called: "Denial"... I REFUSE to bundle up like an alaskan eskimo just to be warm, so I just keep wearing my short sleeve (palm themed) shirt and acting like it's 85 out.... People think I'm nuts... but I just can't wear those ugly winter clothes and feel like a neanderthal.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Larry,

I love the Keys.... It's my favorite place in the USA.... I could live in Islamorada with no problem. Just give me my conch fritters and I'm happy

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 15 2007,22:34)

I REFUSE to bundle up like an alaskan eskimo just to be warm, so I just keep wearing my short sleeve (palm themed) shirt and acting like it's 85 out.... People think I'm nuts... but I just can't wear those ugly winter clothes and feel like a neanderthal.

I grew up in Michigan (so glad I escaped).  When it hit 35 degrees, you break out the shorts and t-shirts, after being cooped up inside from 10 degree weather for 3 months.

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 15 2007,22:35)

Larry,

I love the Keys.... It's my favorite place in the USA.... I could live in Islamorada with no problem. Just give me my conch fritters and I'm happy

I'm with you, though it's my second favorite place in the US, with Hawaii coming in first.  

Islamorada is where I often stay when I'm in the Keys, being both beautiful and a great central location.  Almost moved to the Keys!  So many great memories, and yes, the conch fritters, and key lime pie, and sunsets, and diving, and kayaking, and palms --

So how are the temps this a.m.?

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

I'm with you, though it's my second favorite place in the US, with Hawaii coming in first.  

Islamorada is where I often stay when I'm in the Keys, being both beautiful and a great central location.  Almost moved to the Keys!  So many great memories, and yes, the conch fritters, and key lime pie, and sunsets, and diving, and kayaking, and palms

Kathy,

don't forget the famous Holiday Isle Tiki-Bar, Woody's, & Papa Joe's (Great Sunsets)..... Oh... I really need to get down there soon...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Me too!  Making myself miss it too much right now.....

Let's all plan a trip  :) .... Yeahy, party time !!!

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 16 2007,09:00)

Me too!  Making myself miss it too much right now.....

Let's all plan a trip  :) .... Yeahy, party time !!!

Man you not kidding, i just booked a trip to Playa Del Carmen. FOR 7 DAYS in May. all inclusive ,i can taste coronas now.

Man you not kidding, i just booked a trip to Playa Del Carmen. FOR 7 DAYS in May. all inclusive ,i can taste coronas now

Mike,

I LOVE Playa Del-Carmen.... been there like 10x....  Do you take the ferry across to Cozumel?  I usually do and rent the Scooters - drive the perimeter of the island.. On the Southeastern side there's a bar there called: "Rasta's".... He's a mexican guy dressed up like a jamaican in this little fort-type bar playing reggae music... it's a pisser.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 16 2007,09:48)

Man you not kidding, i just booked a trip to Playa Del Carmen. FOR 7 DAYS in May. all inclusive ,i can taste coronas now

Mike,

I LOVE Playa Del-Carmen.... been there like 10x....  Do you take the ferry across to Cozumel?  I usually do and rent the Scooters - drive the perimeter of the island.. On the Southeastern side there's a bar there called: "Rasta's".... He's a mexican guy dressed up like a jamaican in this little fort-type bar playing reggae music... it's a pisser.

I want to do the scotter thing before (9 coronas).also i want go on a jetski exscersion that i read about. i have only been there once and it was on a cruise so we did not get to stay long.