IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Green versus silver bismarckia

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I've gotten really curious about the green bismarckia. Unfortunately, I've never gotten consistent answers on the whole green versus silver debate.

Version 1 of the story says they are just as hardy and grow under the same conditions as the silver form, see http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/BisGre.shtml. Ed Brown in Jacksonville Florida reports that the green ones have far outperform the blue one in terms of hardiness (See post #9 here:) The green one is much, much more common in Antanarivo where temps are quite cool compared to the silver bismarckia habitat, and there are many quite tall and large green bismarckia all over Antanarivo. Some have suggested that because of the lack of wax, the green one is much more efficient at photosynthesis and happens to grow faster and better in cooler climates. Even Jeff Marcus reports that the green one is far easier to grow on the humid Hilo side of the big Island because the seedlings have much more fungal resistance.

Version 2 of the story says the green ones are much, much more tender than the blue ones and happen to be slower and more tropical in their requirements. Some sort of green form made the rounds in Southern California and failed, so people here have pretty much given up on them.

I realize that the blue one is far more desirable from an aesthetic point of view, but if I can find the green type that fits under version 1, it would actually be a better choice for a more heat deprived USDA 10a for someone who would like a ginormous palm. I am never gonna find out unless I play around a bit. I ordered a bunch of bismarckia seeds, the green form and the blue form. I have the green and blue ones in exactly the same conditions, at around 27C. Lo and behold, the green ones took 2 weeks to germinate, and the blue ones are still sitting there doing nothing. So far the only other germinators are livistona muelleri and archont. purpurea.

Anyone else played around with the green ones?

• Upvote 1

Your mistake is comparing what someone says in HI or FL to what happens in CA. You can grow coconuts in some zone 9 FL areas. Also Toby is hazarding guesses of cultivation requirements on many descriptions. He is a seed bank, not a guy growing all this stuff in Germany.

Trust me, these are much harder to grow in CA then their blue counter parts.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Your mistake is comparing what someone says in HI or FL to what happens in CA. You can grow coconuts in some zone 9 FL areas. Also Toby is hazarding guesses of cultivation requirements on many descriptions. He is a seed bank, not a guy growing all this stuff in Germany.

Cool tolerance versus cold tolerance perhaps... Certainly the preponderance of evidence for cold tolerance is that the silver bizzies are better. If you want to grow under heavy canopy, perhaps the green grow better with less light and that makes sense.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

nice visual,and updates please.since I want to revive my old germination thread which is almost dead.

thanks and love,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Len, all I am putting forward is the thesis that a lot of anectotal information suggests there may be a strain of green bismarckia that would do well in foggy coastal zone 10a locations in Central and Northern California. I mention Tobias only because he has seeds of the green ones, I am not basing my theory on his website. In fact, I suspect what he says is wrong, because the strain I am theorizing exists should be quite different in cultural requirements. Putting Ed Brown's result aside for a moment (even though I don't see what his results have to do with coconuts or Fl vs CA), there is still plenty of evidence such a strain exists. I may be full of shit thinking there's a bismarckia strain that would thrive in ceroxylon country, but that's the whole joy of experimentation. Let's find out. For right now, I have no evidence stating that the seeds Toby is selling right now are the same green ones that failed in Southern California, nor do I know they are the cool tolerant ones either.

I've scoured through the old Journals of the SCPS, and actually found an account of a really fast growing healthy green one in Beachside Huntington Beach that had a good 30 feet of trunk and ended up succumbing to scorching hot Santa Ana winds. This once again supports my theory, it's tolerant to cool and wet, and dislikes hot and dry. That's just what I need up here in my neck of the woods.

There's no harm in germinating a few to see what they'll do. If they don't grow in diurnal mid-40's to mid 70's, nothing is lost other than I will know Toby's seeds aren't the green cooler growing faster version. I do know the blue strain is native to areas where the diurnal swing is 90/120F, that's never going to thrive here in Ceroxylon country. Someday I'll go to Madagascar and collect my own seeds in Antanarivo to find the cooler growing strain.

Maybe try Satranala

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Maybe try Satranala

That actually sounds like a great idea, if only I knew where to find one or find seeds.

I was gifted two Green Bizzies that are supposedly very cold hardy. They will face their first winter in the ground this year. But then again, they sure look like Sabals at this early age. :hmm:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Great side-by-side of green vs. blue! same age and everything. Thanks

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Might be humidity is the issue. The Silver blue can take both the green one not having the waxy protective coating might require more humidity. They both gow fine for me.

Not sure why the green one should be more cold tolerant for the same reason.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Near my place of work.....

attachicon.gifb2.jpg

Green one is WAY better looking!! I was offered free silver seedlings once and turned them down. Not everyone finds them ugly, but I do.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

attachicon.gifb2.jpg

great photo, Nick. you don't see them side by side to compare very often.

• Upvote 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

attachicon.gifb2.jpg

Green one is WAY better looking!! I was offered free silver seedlings once and turned them down. Not everyone finds them ugly, but I do.

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. When I see the green and blue one side by side, I most definitely prefer the blue one. But the green one would be neat to have just for the sheer size and if it's a better grower for cooler areas.

I love Bismarckia, but personally I prefer the green. To me they look like a Borassus when well grown.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I am on the blue side as well.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages