IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

B. afredii Zone 9a Hardy?

_Keith

Ditto, I lost one of my alfies when moving them. The other 4 I gave to Keith. Ditto on very long lateral roots. I guess they send those out toward that stream that they grow along.

Ditto, I lost one of my alfies when moving them. The other 4 I gave to Keith. Ditto on very long lateral roots. I guess they send those out toward that stream that they grow along.

Those alfies aren't too happy right now Chad, but unless we get a last minute sucker freeze, I think they'll make it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have a small seedling that is not the happiest that I have seen, but no spear pull and a good solid root system still in tack with green remaining on two leaves. It might not be a landscape palm for the masses but it might survive in the coastal areas of the south around the Gulf and the Atlantic. Still undecided on it however.

• 1 year later...

Hi Keith,

What happened?

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

It was a tough summer with a long drought, but again, they have grown slightly past what they lost over the winter.   At this rate, I'll have 4 respectable palms in 20 years or so.  Unless of course we have a really bad winter in which case I'll have 4 respectable planting holes, lol. 

Edited by _Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hey guys, I noticed your comments about moving Alfies. In which case I don't feel quite as bad for hijacking this thread.   My brother lives in Phoenix and plans to move.  To another place in Phoenix.  But he is dead set on digging and taking his young Alfie with him.  Given your experience, any advice on digging and moving?

Hey guys, I noticed your comments about moving Alfies. In which case I don't feel quite as bad for hijacking this thread.   My brother lives in Phoenix and plans to move.  To another place in Phoenix.  But he is dead set on digging and taking his young Alfie with him.  Given your experience, any advice on digging and moving?

How long has it been in the ground, and how big is it?  I've successfully moved small Alfies with no issues.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I moved a bunch of alfredii in 2014 with no issues. I dug a pretty big root ball on the biggest one and it never slowed down. The other ones were taken with no soil in the roots with a lot of cut roots. Those survived but took about a year to start growing again. I'd say either way he should be fine with moving it. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

How long has it been in the ground, and how big is it?  I've successfully moved small Alfies with no issues.

About 3 to 4 feet tall.  In the ground 2 summers or about a year and a half.

Get a nice 15g size rootball and I'd say it will be fine.

Thanks.  Very helpful rule of thumb.

NP.  I am thinking about moving one myself, and will probably do so before it gets too big.  It's similar size.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Tough as nails; one of the easiest transplants to make....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Wow.  Been trying to reply all day.  Some weird crap between my phone and this site. ...anyway....

Thanks Zeeth and John.  Good info.

My major concern his more to do with the location being Phoenix.  I moved one 2 years ago only 2 weeks after planting it out.  Broke a major root off in the process.  But that is a SoCal palm 6 miles from the coast.  My brother and his are, again, in Phoenix. 

The move and root damage, really stunted the palm.  It is only now just coming out of it 2 years later. It's twin is now 3x the size at the base.  

Hopefully my concern makes sense.  Which is, how to do impact it least so it recovers enough to survive a Phoenix summer.