IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How much do you pay per month for electricity?

DoomsDave

Pain in the meter?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's your average electric bill each month?

• less than $100
    • $101 - 200
    • $201 - 300
    • $301 - 400
    • $401 - 500
    • More than $500

Since some asked about paying more for electricity, what do we pay? I note that the price of power varies very widely all over the place.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think some probably use a lot more electricity than others to run all manner of lights/appliances/AC etc. Perhaps instead of dollar totals you should price by KwHour?

Monthly service charge $9.85

Summer: $0.1134/KwH

Winter: $0.1043/KwH for the first 100KwH, $0.0902/KwH to 900, $0.0631/KwH thereafter.

Usually this ends up being around $140 in winter, and over $200 in the summer.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Ours is pretty low on average. During the hot months it runs about $125. In the cooler months it is around $75. We have a 2100 square feet house and I am home every day. I do keep the AC set at 78 and we installed a more efficient unit. I average about 5 loads of laundry/week, cook and heat water with electricity, and run 2 water pumps. I do have friends here whose bills are over $400 in the summer with about the same size house. Not sure what the differences are but that is a very wide range of expenses.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Mine is extremely high, I'm always on tier 4 ( most expensive one) last month I used 2200 KW/hr, looking into going with solar.

Escondido: the Ideal place to grow palms

Could it be? I'll try.

Ours is pretty low on average. During the hot months it runs about $125.

Dont tell the power company.....but something is up with your meter :-)

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

$125.00??? How do you do it Kitty? My bill is more than that, even if I don't turn ANYTHING on. Do you have a cable running to your neighbors?

A 3,300 square foot house, 3 central A/C units, 2 hot water heaters, 2 refrigerators, pool pump, irrigation pumps & lotsa lights = $400-$500 a month in South Florida! :yay:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

As spock's post points out, the KWH rate is only part of the equation.

Cali has some of the most expensive power, but my bills are quite low, under $100 per month. And that's even in the summer with fans running. I don't have AC, and if I did, I'd hardly ever run it.

$125.00??? How do you do it Kitty? My bill is more than that, even if I don't turn ANYTHING on. Do you have a cable running to your neighbors?

A 3,300 square foot house, 3 central A/C units, 2 hot water heaters, 2 refrigerators, pool pump, irrigation pumps & lotsa lights = $400-$500 a month in South Florida! :yay:

Whoa!

That's a lot of [fecal material]! Can I guess whose so-Flo house runs power at more than $500 a month? :winkie:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Im going to put a wood burning stove in my fireplace and install a fan right above it with ducting going to all the back rooms so we dont have to run the heater in the winter. I dont have A/C, I probably would need it for 2 weeks out of the year. I have all energy saving bulbs, dont have cable, we have energy saving appliances, and a hot water recirculator. We dont leave lights on. all my bulbs are either the curly ones or LED.

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

I hate giving away money to bills when it can be used for other things so we decided to cut way down on everything and found that were saving so much money. The ROI was only a couple months from the supplies we bought to make the improvements

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Oh man! All this power bill talk.....coincides with my highest electric bill ever just arriving today :mrlooney:

Larry 

Im going to put a wood burning stove in my fireplace and install a fan right above it with ducting going to all the back rooms so we dont have to run the heater in the winter. I dont have A/C, I probably would need it for 2 weeks out of the year. I have all energy saving bulbs, dont have cable, we have energy saving appliances, and a hot water recirculator. We dont leave lights on. all my bulbs are either the curly ones or LED.

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

I hate giving away money to bills when it can be used for other things so we decided to cut way down on everything and found that were saving so much money. The ROI was only a couple months from the supplies we bought to make the improvements

Usually I would call BS if someone else in Cali told me this. Impressive. Just the fees and taxes alone should cost $20.

Mine us to be about $500/mo average. I put solar in and now pay $350 for the entire year. ROI at current rates and with projected increases is about 8 years. Warranty for everything is 20. So I figure I will have 12 years of free electric. As long as those scum bags don't get the usage fee passed for solar users. SDGE tried passing a $30/mo grid usage fee for us. Love capitalism but have regulated monopolies.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

LJG-

What size is your array? Im thinking about solar (I have a lot of flat roof area so it would be easy), but wondering about the size vs cost. I don't think we have solar incentives in FL like there might be in CA.

I have solar pool heating (obviously much simpler) and it works great.

Larry 

I'm at about $60 - $90 a month. $90 in the winter months when the hot tub is up and running and I'm using it a lot. $60 in the summer when the hot tub is drained. I don't have AC, or heat. Just a wood burning stove. No natural gas either here in our house. So just an electric bill.

Larry I went with a very efficient system from Sunpower. After doing the research I am glad I paid more. I have a 9 KW system. My neighbor went cheap and put in a 11 KW system and we actually generate almost the same. Here in Cali where I am away from the Marine Layer, I get sunny days most the time. So it is really a no brainer here if you plan on staying in your house long term. Incentives were good almost four years ago when it was put in. Fed and state. $75,000 system had $30,000 in incentives!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

I think my refrigerator uses more then $80 a month. $25 if i never turned a thing on, used candles and cooked on a camp fire and used an ice chest.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

LJG-

What size is your array? Im thinking about solar (I have a lot of flat roof area so it would be easy), but wondering about the size vs cost. I don't think we have solar incentives in FL like there might be in CA.

FPL has incentives from time to time (if you are on them). I just worry that having big ol panels on my roof during a hurricane is going to work out real well. I had solar pool heating on my previous house. I'm still in touch with the new owners, the panels where removed by Wilma and not replaced.

Jupiter FL

Larry I went with a very efficient system from Sunpower. After doing the research I am glad I paid more. I have a 9 KW system. My neighbor went cheap and put in a 11 KW system and we actually generate almost the same. Here in Cali where I am away from the Marine Layer, I get sunny days most the time. So it is really a no brainer here if you plan on staying in your house long term. Incentives were good almost four years ago when it was put in. Fed and state. $75,000 system had $30,000 in incentives!

Based on your monthly savings, how long do you calculate it will be before your system pays for itself?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith I posted that in thread earlier. I figure about 8 years. Which isn't bad at all.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, are you putting the electricity back into the grid or do you have a bank of batteries?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Keith I posted that in thread earlier. I figure about 8 years. Which isn't bad at all.

Thanks. Sometimes I am using my phone to read on here, so don't read back as far as I should. I looked hard at it last year, a 6KW system. Here, in addition to the 30% fed credit, we also have a 50% state credit. But on the other side, we have fairly low electric rates, and I have a very efficient home. So, even with the 80% credit I calculated a pay back around 10 years. And with our recent hurricane history I got worried it might be badly damaged or destroyed prior to payback. For me the risk did not seem to outweigh the rewards, but I will continue to re-evaluate every year. I really want it, but money is really tight right now so every investment has to really give me a big ROI.

And a note on the preceding post - The tax credit here does not allow batteries based systems. They must be net-metered systems that produce no electricity, unless there is electricity on the grid. They consider this a safety concern.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Len, are you putting the electricity back into the grid or do you have a bank of batteries?

Back to grid. Battery bank they penciled out would take up too much space. It was huge.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Back to grid. Battery bank they penciled out would take up too much space. It was huge.

I dont think it has much sence otherwise.

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

Usually I would call BS if someone else in Cali told me this. Impressive. Just the fees and taxes alone should cost $20.

Mine us to be about $500/mo average. I put solar in and now pay $350 for the entire year. ROI at current rates and with projected increases is about 8 years. Warranty for everything is 20. So I figure I will have 12 years of free electric. As long as those scum bags don't get the usage fee passed for solar users. SDGE tried passing a $30/mo grid usage fee for us. Love capitalism but have regulated monopolies.

Why would you have to call BS? He does A/C and I don't have A/C :).

I looked into solar but the monthly fee was way higher than my bill so....Still have a few things to do to save energy though-water heater, insulated pipes, and whole house fan.

Here is my electric bill by month.

post-5836-0-15040500-1381455521_thumb.pn

Finally got my last light bulbs that used a lot of power out so this next month (Oct) should be better. You can see that it has already dropped a couple of dollars even though i did the upgrade mid month (the $26 bill)

Crazy man. My fridge must cost me $25/mo alone.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I wonder why mine is so different Len? Why would it cost you $25 for just your fridge? We basically live in the same area.

Recent

summer bill low is $25
winter high is $80.

I looked into solar but the monthly fee was way higher than my bill so....Still have a few things to do to save energy though-water heater, insulated pipes, and whole house fan.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-10 at 5.18.07 PM.png

Finally got my last light bulbs that used a lot of power out so this next month (Oct) should be better. You can see that it has already dropped a couple of dollars even though i did the upgrade mid month (the $26 bill)

Most recent month, avg day, 87 cents, thats crazy. I think my computer runs more juice then that every day. Congratulations on doing that but even if my house was only 200sf I'm sure I could never get to that level.

Jupiter FL

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

Do you have natural gas in your home as well, for things like your water heater, etc.

Yes I do Keith, I have a old water heater that i set at 120 degrees and is wrapped in a thermo blanket - its good but needs to be replaced. My heater is brand new and is very energy efficient but I still want the stove so I dont have that higher heating bill in the winter. My wife cooks all the time so we use more gas than most people (from what ive heard) but gas is cheaper. My clothes dryer is also eco friendly and is gas. there are so many little things you can do to cut down on electricity. I got into cutting down on everything when I saw how much we could save. It got addicting after I added up what we were paying yearly for excess stuff and how saving just $20 a month turns into $240 a year. Also read the Dave Ramsey book on finances and from there was able to condense our finances to the point where we work 8 months out of the year and take the rest off to travel.

For the gas savings I just had my attic re insulated and we have vinyl double pain windows. Also have my doors weather sealed. Too much to list but you get the idea...Oh yeah, and we have two young children, a great dane and a lab, and 3 cats, so we do at LEAST a load of laundry a day.

Here is a screen shot of my gas bill, which is combined with the electric.

post-5836-0-28728100-1381523565_thumb.pn

OK, that makes sense now. It is all about the A/C down here, so no gas relief at this time. But if I had solar, I could get close to your bill, I think. But even still on the worst months, my bill is sub $200 so solar takes forever to pay off.

OK, that makes sense now. It is all about the A/C down here, so no gas relief at this time. But if I had solar, I could get close to your bill, I think. But even still on the worst months, my bill is sub $200 so solar takes forever to pay off.

Yes...the A/C drives the power bill, no doubt. Even if one has the most efficient system available (which would be silly as the payback would be about the life of the unit or more......), there is no way to get a house with A/C down to what would be considered a small electric bill :rant:

Larry 

Recent

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

Most recent month, avg day, 87 cents, thats crazy. I think my computer runs more juice then that every day. Congratulations on doing that but even if my house was only 200sf I'm sure I could never get to that level.

I am with you rendant.....Im happy if my bill is <$300. I dont have a big huge house, but even so.....A/C, pool/spa pumps, appliances, computers, lights, etc all add up even with the efficiency improvements Ive made (new TPO insulated roof, R30 attic insulation, soloar pool/spa heating, heat pump hot water heater (which is bad @$$ by the way as it gives me free A/C for the garage.)

Larry 

Ive got a little kWh meter that I can plug 120V devices into.....Im going to put one on my freezer in the garage and see what it logs for a month's time.

Larry 

LJG-

FPL has incentives from time to time (if you are on them). I just worry that having big ol panels on my roof during a hurricane is going to work out real well. I had solar pool heating on my previous house. I'm still in touch with the new owners, the panels where removed by Wilma and not replaced.

In Palm Harbor, its now Duke Energy (used to be Progress Energy). From what Ive been able to gather, the payback here is pretty long :crying: Hurricanes ripping them off the roof is another thing as well......I am sure my pool water heating solar panels will at some point be "detached", but thats a much smaller loss than electric solar panels. I also have a flat roof.....so all those roof penetrations needed for solar panels would probably void the roof warranty.

See....I just talked myself right out of solar panels :mrlooney:

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Same reason I talked myself out of them. I figured something, aka hurricane, would damage them before payoff.

Ive got a little kWh meter that I can plug 120V devices into.....Im going to put one on my freezer in the garage and see what it logs for a month's time.

Good idea!

AC coupled with two kids and a wife that has to be in a house that is 72 degrees at night is a killer. We are in the process of installing a whole house fan in the master which will remove any need of AC at night. The good thing about where I live is once the sun is down it is almost always under 72.

Jastin, kids will get ya. :) we use to have one fridge and now have 2 1/2. Lights are always on no matter how much we get on their case.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

AC coupled with two kids and a wife that has to be in a house that is 72 degrees at night is a killer. We are in the process of installing a whole house fan in the master which will remove any need of AC at night. The good thing about where I live is once the sun is down it is almost always under 72.

Jastin, kids will get ya. :) we use to have one fridge and now have 2 1/2. Lights are always on no matter how much we get on their case.

There are times I wake up in the AM and feel really cold....then I realize my daughter or wife turned the ac down at night to 68. During the day, it's always 72-73. So, I am pretty sure I have identified the main contributing cost to my power bill each month :-)

Larry 

Recent

summer bill low is $25

winter high is $80.

I am with you rendant.....Im happy if my bill is <$300. I dont have a big huge house, but even so.....A/C, pool/spa pumps, appliances, computers, lights, etc all add up even with the efficiency improvements Ive made (new TPO insulated roof, R30 attic insulation, soloar pool/spa heating, heat pump hot water heater (which is bad @$$ by the way as it gives me free A/C for the garage.)

In the summer I'm happy with less then $700 a month, and my cooking, hot water and dryer are on gas. Kids and wife a huge problem, anyone want some of each, mix and match if you want. :floor: And yes I have energy effecient everthing other then family members,

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

Larry, my wife gave birth to our first child during a September. She had the house at 66-68 for two straight months prior. It was freezing. Our electric bill for one of those months? $1100!!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin