IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Come on Winter

_Keith

Maybe it is because I don't zone push any more. Maybe because it has been such a rainy warm humid summer. Maybe because I am getting older. Maybe because it doesn't get "that" cold here. Whatever, I can't wait for cool air, it can even be cold air, I don't care. I am ready for a change, for the invigoration that comes with a cold front. It's been a long summer and I am ready for it to end.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am about 100 miles due west of New Orleans. Today, we finally got a real break from the heat, humidity, and rain. Today is clear blue skies, high 78, breezy, and drier air. Will wake up in the morning to a low of 54. Finally, I will again be able to start enjoying my coffee out on the front porch again. I am loving it already.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith, for me the cure to fussing about Winter was to plant chill hungry apple trees. Thst way, when it gets cold, I know at least some of my fruit trees are happy and getting what they need.

Winter means I can spend some time indoors writing software. Oh, and let's not forget about skiing.

Too far and not enough time! I will be in New Orleans on the 19th and 20th.

Sorry to hear that, it is a 2-hour drive. But, I would have loved for you to visit.

Maybe it is because I don't zone push any more. Maybe because it has been such a rainy warm humid summer. Maybe because I am getting older. Maybe because it doesn't get "that" cold here. Whatever, I can't wait for cool air, it can even be cold air, I don't care. I am ready for a change, for the invigoration that comes with a cold front. It's been a long summer and I am ready for it to end.

I thought you just brought 4 B. alfredii? Is that not too much of a zone push for you?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

It’s already cooling down here for the last 6 weeks. Been 5-10 degrees below normal with all the rain we’ve received. The normal high for today is 64F, and today will be the last 70F we will see till April. This coming week the highs are only going to be 55F-60F with lots of rain showers or mist. Dang! Can’t wait for spring again.

I thought you just brought 4 B. alfredii? Is that not too much of a zone push for you?

Yes, in answer to your question it would indeed be too much of a Zone push for me, even though some say those palms are Zone 9a, However, I did not and would not have purchased them. They were a gift, as were 15 other palms from Kathryn which included 3 C. alba. In this case, I do not have anything to lose to find out if they are indeed Zone 9a palms. They will be cared for, but will receive no additional protection other than planting them in the best micro-climate I have. We shall see.

Yes, in answer to your question it would indeed be too much of a Zone push for me, even though some say those palms are Zone 9a, However, I did not and would not have purchased them. They were a gift, as were 15 other palms from Kathryn which included 3 C. alba. In this case, I do not have anything to lose to find out if they are indeed Zone 9a palms. They will be cared for, but will receive no additional protection other than planting them in the best micro-climate I have. We shall see.

Makes sense

Keith 

It’s already cooling down here for the last 6 weeks. Been 5-10 degrees below normal with all the rain we’ve received. The normal high for today is 64F, and today will be the last 70F we will see till April. This coming week the highs are only going to be 55F-60F with lots of rain showers or mist. Dang! Can’t wait for spring again.

Ouch, your comment prompted me to look up the forecast. NWS forecast for California says:

IF THE GFS VERIFIES...SNOW LEVELS COULD DROP AS LOW AS 4500 FEET ON WEDNESDAY...LOW ENOUGH TO PRODUCE LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS ON SOME OF OUR HIGHEST PEAKS.

Looks like snow levels are dropping to 5,000-6,000 feet even in Southern California with the bulk of the rain in Southern California.

For us it means the stretch of mid 80's temps are going to give way to upper 60's to low 70's with cold nights.

Too far and not enough time! I will be in New Orleans on the 19th and 20th.

Sorry to hear that, it is a 2-hour drive. But, I would have loved for you to visit.

Unfortunately, this ia a work trip. So my time is not my own.

Give me 10 more days, I have to put up a greenhouse. Then it can get cold. Im trying to be ready for a bad winter. just in case.

Zeeth, I gave Keith the Becces. I think he can pull it off under canopy. At least for a while. I wanted palms for open sun around a pool. I found out Alfredii wont work here for that, so I gave them to Keith. Come On! We gotta push our zone a little! Who knows? We may not see low 20s here for another 10 years.

Keith, I have mixed feelings about this cool, dry air. It is very invigorating, nice for a trip to baton rouge for an LSU football game. But I think I can see my heliconias shivering. About time to pop up the greenhouses!

Zeeth, I gave Keith the Becces. I think he can pull it off under canopy. At least for a while. I wanted palms for open sun around a pool. I found out Alfredii wont work here for that, so I gave them to Keith. Come On! We gotta push our zone a little! Who knows? We may not see low 20s here for another 10 years.

Yes for sure it's a good plant for him to try out. Hopefully they make it up there! A few average to warm winters and they should get established enough to take a decent amount of cold.

Keith 

Thanks for the encouragement, Zeeth! That's your monster becce in your avatar right? Seems they take forever to trunk.

Yes for sure it's a good plant for him to try out. Hopefully they make it up there! A few average to warm winters and they should get established enough to take a decent amount of cold.

Doc, they seem to loving their new home. All 4 are pushing new fronds and looking great.

• 4 weeks later...

Here in coastal Japan, the intense summer heat has definitely come off. At 10:00 am, it's a comfortable 22C, and about 70%RH. Yes, Keith, the deck and coffee mornings are much more enjoyable now.

JT

post-7712-0-37206900-1383441442_thumb.jp

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)