IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

KEY WEST ADVENTURE

Jeff Searle

Jeff,

Wow, what a place!! Too bad I didn't know about the Palm Society & its members all those years ago in the 80s when we lived in SoFL and drove to Key West for the w/e!! :(

I particularly liked the Copernicias and Coryphas. Great! Thanks!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Thanks! It really is amazing what many people in KW do with their little yards. And most yards are all full of plants. Quite a few of unusual palms!

Jeff

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the pictures Jeff.  I really enjoyed seeing the places and plants.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff, I missed some of the pics you added later on. Fantastic again! People have done a great job with the small lots in Key West. Very nice palm and tropical plant gardens.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Larry and Ray, it got to 32.2F here on the 17th of Feb  :(

I supose that is not too bad considering that I live in a totally rural, nonurbanized area of Hillsborough County. I live about 2 miles south of beautiful, downtown Ruskin - if it could even be classified as 'downtown'. You guys mentioned Tampa Bay. I think it does have a very positive effect on my weather. During the cold fronts this year, it stayed in the 50's here with northwest and north winds through the night until the winds stopped. But, when the winds stopped, watch out! I think that in 10 years if Ruskin becomes more 'suburbanized' as is predicted, then it will become a solid 10A area. Until then, 9B it is.

Now back on topic. I have tried hard to get my wife to move to the Keys on a couple of occaisions  :P . Has been a no go so far. I think that the middle keys around Marathon would be a sweet spot. You are within a good distance to both Key West and the Mainland. No feeling of isolation from the rest of the U.S. or being stuck on an island like in Hawaii (a good thing in some people's minds and a bad thing in others' minds). I might even be able to make a good living in the keys. The only problem is Hurricanes, but people seem to make it down there even with all the hurricanes so it must not be too bad most of the time. But, I have feeling a direct hit from a cat 4 or 5 hurricane would be devastating for the keys. But the thought of a tropical climate is quite appealing. Must be the only place in the U.S. (not including island territories) besides beautiful Hawaii that can grow Sealing Wax palms reliably.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Jeff,

seeing those pictures make my mouth water.. I've stayed in KW many times and just love those small backyard gardens... Even the hotels there feel very homey with their small tropical gardens...  Ok, Is it time to start planning for fantasy-Fest :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Mar. 05 2007,11:10)

Jeff,

seeing those pictures make my mouth water.. I've stayed in KW many times and just love those small backyard gardens... Even the hotels there feel very homey with their small tropical gardens...  Ok, Is it time to start planning for fantasy-Fest :)

Bobby,

The gardens there are no doubt great.But enugh of that.Speaking about Fantasy Fest, I'll be going down this year and staying at good friends of mine. Their house is 19 miles out of KW. I'm trying to figure out, how to post pics. on this forum and try to keep it under PG! I wonder if there are other board members that go down there also. We stay and hang out with Jim and Judy Glock, who don't post any on the board, but are big time palm society members. Were also trying to get Katie( KATHRYN) from New Orleans to come down to join us all. She says she probably will. It would be alot of fun if any other members were planning on coming down too. You'll be living in Fl. by then, right?? :D

Jeff

• Like 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bobby,

The gardens there are no doubt great.But enugh of that.Speaking about Fantasy Fest, I'll be going down this year and staying at good friends of mine. Their house is 19 miles out of KW. I'm trying to figure out, how to post pics. on this forum and try to keep it under PG! I wonder if there are other board members that go down there also. We stay and hang out with Jim and Judy Glock, who don't post any on the board, but are big time palm society members. Were also trying to get Katie( KATHRYN) from New Orleans to come down to join us all. She says she probably will. It would be alot of fun if any other members were planning on coming down too. You'll be living in Fl. by then, right??  

Jeff

Jeff,

we went to Fantasy-Fest 2 years in a row (not this past one), and we have a great time every time. It is SO hard to find accomodations down there so we usually stay around Cudjoe or Big Pine and just drive down for the day. I'm still trying to talk my wife into body-painting....      

As far as living in FL, we will be listing our house in February (next year) and hope to be down there by next spring (houses usually sell within 3 months here at the latest)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

This post reminds me of so many experiences in Key West.

Did Peter get that rigida from me? I sold him one about 10 years ago that was maybe 3 feet tall? I knew another one, much taller, a gardener we know killed it trying to transplant it! They did not want to pay me to do it!

I was helping stand up trees after hurriacane Georges and saw Peters garden laying all over the place. Nice to see it has recovered.

I transplanted from the island a few times (once from another cousin of Peters!). The rock there is oolitic limestone, like South Dade. Much of the rest of the keys (North of Big Pine) is Keysyone. I mention this because it is an interesting geologic fact and it makes a difference when digging!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I love the body paint at Fantasy Fest.  Can anyone post some photos here to really get this thread going?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Mar. 10 2007,21:06)

I love the body paint at Fantasy Fest.  Can anyone post some photos here to really get this thread going?

Ray,

I got the pictures! :D  But do you think we can post them? And YOU know what I mean!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 7 years later...

Pritchardia sp.

And I would have thought you would be able to tell a green Bizzy when you saw it!

(Ray, Tampa @ Mar. 10 2007,21:06)

I love the body paint at Fantasy Fest. Can anyone post some photos here to really get this thread going?

Ray,

I got the pictures! biggrin.gif But do you think we can post them? And YOU know what I mean!!

Jeff