IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oct Stock Market Discussion..............

trioderob

Yahoo has been relatively strong over the past couple week's idiocy. Its earnings report is due out Wednesday. Anyone follow Yahoo stock? Its up about 25% from its last ER.

Not me.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Hard for me to buy or follow a stock I don't use or like - unless I'm considering a short.

Tank - I'm guessing you use and like Yahoo - right or wrong???

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I will say this market is pricing in an agreement, if it doesn't happen it going to be hummm as Rob would say, EPIC.

Jupiter FL

Hard for me to buy or follow a stock I don't use or like - unless I'm considering a short.

Tank - I'm guessing you use and like Yahoo - right or wrong???

I would agree with that statement as well. Although in this case I only use the email as a "trash" account and I don't play fantasy football or read yahoo news. It has done well since I picked it up, something like +18%. Might be a good time to exit.

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Rob,

You were all ready to buy in Monday. What happened - another one of your daily strategy changes? Or did you follow through?

Kona, on The Big Island

Tank - good call on Yahoo. There have been rumors about Apple buying them. Not sure what I think about that.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean-

don't worry about me - anything I state you will attempt to spin against me so I aint playing that game no more.

if you want actually want to learn something instead of doing back flips that a few of your stocks went up in the last 2 years then read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2013/10/07/shutdown-will-not-affect-u-s-creditworthiness-moodys-says/

at some point very soon aunt Alethea and uncle Joey will figure this out

"Moody's MCO -1.42% said in a Monday morning report that neither the shutdown nor the impending debt ceiling deadline will affect U.S. creditworthiness."

in other words if all else fails they can just pay the bills anyway - in other words they just do it.

Edited by trioderob

In a memo being circulated on Capitol Hill Wednesday, Moody’s Investors Service offers “answers to frequently asked questions” about the government shutdown, now in its second week, and the federal debt limit. President Obama has said that, unless Congress acts to raise the $16.7 trillion limit by next Thursday, the nation will be at risk of default.

Not so, Moody’s says in the memo dated Oct. 7.

” We believe the government would continue to pay interest and principal on its debt even in the event that the debt limit is not raised, leaving its creditworthiness intact,” the memo says. “The debt limit restricts government expenditures to the amount of its incoming revenues; it does not prohibit the government from servicing its debt. There is no direct connection between the debt limit (actually the exhaustion of the Treasury’s extraordinary measures to raise funds) and a default.

Dean-

don't worry about me

No worry here - just trying to confirm if any of your advice pans out - or if you actually follow any of it.

if you want actually want to learn something instead of doing back flips that a few of your stocks went up in the last 2 years then read:

Don't need to learn things I already know.

What nobody is reporting is that there is a law prohibiting the U.S. from defaulting on bond payments unless and until the payment amount exceeds a certain percentage of the incoming revenue. And we are nowhere close to that. In addition, the Treasury has "tricks" to keep payments up for a couple of weeks past the deadline. And, Obama could also do what he has been so fond of during his term - issue an executive order, taking money from anywhere else to pay our debts.

It's all hype and fear tactics. If the U.S. defaults on any payments it will be by choice, because the money is there.

Kona, on The Big Island

Tank - good call on Yahoo. There have been rumors about Apple buying them. Not sure what I think about that.

I hadn't heard that. Right now Alibaba ipo is kinda what is really pushing it, I forget what amount Yahoo still has in that company, something like 20%? Alibaba IPO is expected to be something like $75 billion or something like that. Plus, they had to sell a portion of Alibaba before its IPO, and I'm not sure if this was factored in on this earnings report. They should have a Q4 report, if I understand things correctly

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

The real good news for YHOO was that the bad news wasn't too bad, setting up a very good day when the Alibaba goes public. At least this is what I think will happen. YHOO really didn't bump up which is fine. Hopefully keep a slow steady climb into the mid 30s before the ipo then a big jump up.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yahoo took a dive and hit my stop of $33 :sick: . Dean, were you being sarcastic? Anyway... still think it will be a decent buy over the next few months.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Tank-

try this

research and buy a stock which is boring and unglamorous.

something which sells a totally unexciting product such as "tire retreads for trucks."

trust me this one time.

I think tank said he was up 18% or so on yahoo, how long will it take to make that on tire treads. Nothing wrong with some unglamorous but jeez Rob, this coming from Mr. never make a stock commitment.

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

Redant-

Dude you crack me up.

this is not even my advice it comes from one of the most famous personal finance books ever written and is based on sound principles where if you are not emotional in love with a company you will view it with a cool and neutral viewpoint.

once again you just talk out your ,,,,,,there was a company that made a fortune on tire retreads - "Bandag"

and it only was an example............. :rolleyes:

Edited by trioderob

Tank-

try this

research and buy a stock which is boring and unglamorous.

something which sells a totally unexciting product such as "tire retreads for trucks."

trust me this one time.

Rob,

I have this image of you as a crazy hermit dude that sits around with news articles on his walls that are connected with red yarn. You stare at the wall for hours on end and scribble notes on it on how everything is linked to a giant global conspiracy all the while mumbling to yourself. You ignore all of the times your theories are wrong but every once in awhile you hit pay dirt and all of your suspicions are confirmed.

How close am I?

Up until this point I have largely ignored most of your babble even though it has bordered on personal. Please keep me out of your bad advice. When you get personal it makes me want to get personal and that really isn't something that I'd like to be a part of :winkie: .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Dude-

very far off.

in fact I date beautiful women all the time

and Tank -think about this

I was the one who talked about how important the tapering was.

now weeks later there are ten thousand articles about it.

it still is the driving force up or down

have fun with Yahoo

and my comment about buying boring stocks came out of this book - i did not just pull it out my...........

its one of the most import books of its type ever written

and he is the one who talked about tire retreads

theonly2010.jpg

Edited by trioderob

Yahoo took a dive and hit my stop of $33 :sick: . Dean, were you being sarcastic? Anyway... still think it will be a decent buy over the next few months.

No - I wasn't. I saw this headline on Market Watch shortly after earnings were released.

"Yahoo shares up 5% after earnings"

But I did see later that it didn't stay there for long, heading down on the open the next day. Sorry. :(

Kona, on The Big Island

No - I wasn't. I saw this headline on Market Watch shortly after earnings were released.

But I did see later that it didn't stay there for long, heading down on the open the next day. Sorry. :(

It hit a stop at 33. Not really too upset as I picked it up at 28. Probably will pick it up again today, although annoyed that I have to pay the commission. Still think that it will move up over the next couple months.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

It hit a stop at 33. Not really too upset as I picked it up at 28. Probably will pick it up again today, although annoyed that I have to pay the commission. Still think that it will move up over the next couple months.

Don't know where you trade but seems pretty easy to get commissions in th $8 - $10 range. I have been around for a while, I remember $200 commissions.

Jupiter FL

Don't know where you trade but seems pretty easy to get commissions in th $8 - $10 range. I have been around for a while, I remember $200 commissions.

On my IRA not an individual trading account. I give myself a certain amount for "playing" and the rest is theoretically in more stable areas.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Dean-

I think your "trading range" is over

just keep buying - there is no top ..................

next stop - 1800

"I have this image of you as a crazy hermit dude that sits around with news articles on his walls that are connected with red yarn. " - Tank

Edited by trioderob

:rolleyes: Goggle is just one of those must have in the portfolio stocks, they have just so much going on, they will own the planet soon.

Jupiter FL

Man,

I totally wish I had held onto FSLR and DDD. Did well on them but bailed during the shutdown expecting to pick both up at a discount. I was very wrong.

:sick:

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Man,

I totally wish I had held onto FSLR and DDD. Did well on them but bailed during the shutdown expecting to pick both up at a discount. I was very wrong.

:sick:

Always hard to get back in on a good trade isn't it. It's like you know it's going turn and bite you in the butt if you step back in.

Jupiter FL

Yep,

No tears from me, just hard to watch it rocket up. Good luck guessing what either of those two will do.

Apple is finally showing green for me. Now I need to decide when to reduce my exposure. Really not sure what to expect from Ipad announcement or upcoming earnings report. Not ready to bail completely but would like to reduce. The dividend definitely helped the waiting process.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

ever trade just on the technicals with no regard to what the headline news is ?

:interesting:

Edited by trioderob

Do you date beautiful women all of the time?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yep,

No tears from me, just hard to watch it rocket up. Good luck guessing what either of those two will do.

Apple is finally showing green for me. Now I need to decide when to reduce my exposure. Really not sure what to expect from Ipad announcement or upcoming earnings report. Not ready to bail completely but would like to reduce. The dividend definitely helped the waiting process.

I see more and more in other forums peoples recent displeasure with apple (products) and the march to android phones, kind off has me thinking. I still own a large chunk of apples and it's green apples for me as well.

Jupiter FL

Ok, markets starting to look a little to easy.

Definitely for AAPL - up for 9 straight days and big today - but a nice worry to have that your stocks are going up too quickly. :)

Getting set up for disappointment - from either the event tomorrow, or earnings on the 28th (I think). But I would still like to be able to hold through 2014 Q1 or Q2.

Kona, on The Big Island

is this a joke ?

of course I do.

the secret is:

1) don't act like their "male girlfriend"

2) don't call to much

3) don't worry too much if they are happy about every single little thing you do

4) don't make your feelings too clear to them (let them guess if you like them or not)

5) make them feel really comfortable around you

6) don't act all hurt and sensitive about every little thing they do that you don't like

7) don't act like a girlie man

8) out wait them if you have to - they will call

9) if they give you the hint they are not interested - they really mean it - move on

10) don't say anything stupid

Edited by trioderob

Dean-

I think your "trading range" is over

Looks like it could be. And to the upside, toward the end of the year. Where did I hear that before?

Kona, on The Big Island

is this a joke ?

of course I do.

the secret is:

1) don't act like their "male girlfriend"

2) don't call to much

3) don't worry too much if they are happy about every single little thing you do

4) don't make your feelings too clear to them (let them guess if you like them or not)

5) make them feel really comfortable around you

Wow - solid stock investing advice and now surefire success with women. All this on a Palm Forum.

Kona, on The Big Island