IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oct Stock Market Discussion..............

trioderob

Dean-

you are right that was stock Guru "Redants" call with my call below it - sorry bro

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

I think now a shutdown maybe priced in as a given and any progress could have a huge upside as the bears run for cover'

every uncle Joe and aunt Ethel is thinking your way - means it wont happen.

i predict much more down from here.

you should not have liquidated

lets see who is right.

Edited by trioderob

Rob doesn't understand the word MAYBE, Anyway I said that Sept 30th, Rob use you magic to show me just how wrong that guess was? SP at 1681 right now.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

redant-

I am not playing games with you anymore - I am here to give real info -how about teaching me something for once ?

list your favorite 3 web sites to learn about the market.

(arms index still low- this is not a "panic" selloff -very orderly )

Dean-

you are right that was stock Guru "Redants" call with my call below it - sorry bro

No Problem.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

redant-

I am not playing games with you anymore - I am here to give real info -how about teaching me something for once ?

Sorry Redant - I have to jump in here.

Rob - I thought you were a Jesse Livermore devotee. I gave you this website before - listing his trading advice. Take a look at #7. And you may wish to take a refresher course and read the others. You don't seem to trade anything like him.

http://blackswaninsights.blogspot.com/2010/03/lessons-from-legendary-trader-jesse.html

Kona, on The Big Island

a panic "flush" and then it will be time for me to buy

http://tickersense.typepad.com/

good luck you guys - I outta here for good this time ........... :bemused:

So - you got your flush down at the close. Are you in???

Me - I might take a chance if things get to the lower end of my trading range, and sentient is ultra-bearish. That would correspond to a Bullish reading around 15% in that sentiment site you posted. Each time the Bullish reading got that low was an opportunity for an intermittent trade. But it's no where near that now.

Kona, on The Big Island

redant-

I don't use any website for trading other then reading news, Blomberg or gasp CNBC (I like there iphone app), as all I need is the news. I have always found the other opinions only contaminate my thoughts. I read news, I look around and see what's going on, whats popular and probably most important what the fed is doing. I make my own decisions, sometimes I'm right and sometimes not but I know I'm the one who made the decision, not some talking head. I also like to hear the opinions of other real traders not CNBC stars or some guy who is selling subscriptions to his web site. I have mentioned it before but worth mentioning again, one of my best trades (closed out in the spring) for IDK 2 years was buying and holding the telecoms, courtesy of Dean from a talk we had on palmpedia. He had mentioned why it seemed like a good trade, I researched it, and make a lot of money on it. Aways keep your ears open to others and the world around you, then do your homework

Jupiter FL

a panic "flush" and then it will be time for me to buy

http://tickersense.typepad.com/

good luck you guys - I outta here for good this time ........... :bemused:

So - you got your flush down at the close. Are you in???

Me - I might take a chance if things get to the lower end of my trading range, and sentient is ultra-bearish. That would correspond to a Bullish reading around 15% in that sentiment site you posted. Each time the Bullish reading got that low was an opportunity for an intermittent trade. But it's no where near that now.

no Dean -

did not buy yet - the time will come soon

good luck to you and yours

have fun

I AM OUTTA HERE !

Dean-

I was not going to come back to this thread but you have put alot of time trying to help others

Now for the first time I see "panic"

arms index near 2 - this is not an orderly sell off - this is panic

word of the day : Distribution

wont go into any details - but this is the kind of market I like to buy into

high beta stocks like Tesla starting to get crushed

have fun

Edited by trioderob

everything is oversold today

the Rut 2000 was like "1 stock up for every 73 down" at one point

that's epic

the market likes to revert back to the mean - it does not like to be at extremes.

lets say it goes into the abyss at the end of the day - maybe one could pick up some rut 2000 and try for a one day bounce

risky but this situation has worked for me before...........................i am outta here for awhile

need to clear the mind.

-this is for entertainment purposes only - never trade based on what you read on this forum - always consult with a professional financial adviser -

Edited by trioderob

Redant - help me out here. I thought I remember Rob all over me with criticism then I said I liked to buy when everyone was selling and sell when everyone was buying. I thought he was telling me to listen to the market along with some other advice telling me that contrarian trading wasn't the way.

But now he says in the midst of some substantial selling that, "this is the kind of market I like to buy into." Is my memory failing me?

When I grab Apple in the middle of some relentless near panic selling, he says I'm nuts, but now he seems to be advocating that strategy.

I'll make a call - As the futures look like we could have a bounce tomorrow, Rob will be back soon telling us he picked up some long position at the close today.

Kona, on The Big Island

Futures were going up, got me worried. Looking to buy back in to the handful of stocks that hit there stops here in a week or so. Thankfully the NASDAQ is cooperating.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Redant - help me out here. I thought I remember Rob all over me with criticism then I said I liked to buy when everyone was selling and sell when everyone was buying. I thought he was telling me to listen to the market along with some other advice telling me that contrarian trading wasn't the way.

But now he says in the midst of some substantial selling that, "this is the kind of market I like to buy into." Is my memory failing me?

When I grab Apple in the middle of some relentless near panic selling, he says I'm nuts, but now he seems to be advocating that strategy.

I'll make a call - As the futures look like we could have a bounce tomorrow, Rob will be back soon telling us he picked up some long position at the close today.

You may be a bit old but you memory is fine :) Like the day I was buying in a big EPIC sell off, don't be a hero.... Oh and I was really buying not in my mind buying.

And how did you know that model s would burn..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JesNp9DTF4

Certainly helping in play world, how about the real world?

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

Futures were going up, got me worried. Looking to buy back in to the handful of stocks that hit there stops here in a week or so. Thankfully the NASDAQ is cooperating.

It's hard to imagine much more then a short covering rally from here unless positive new from our fine leaders.

Jupiter FL

for the folks at home that want to learn something and not just listen to redants smack talk

google:

"climactic volume indicators"

Unfortunately CUR and XONE are bucking the trend. Here is to the half of me that would like some more bad news :sick: .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Sssshhhhh - I'm trying to lay low - NSA listening, insider trading and all. :)

Kona, on The Big Island

for the folks at home that want to learn something and not just listen to redants smack talk

google:

"climactic volume indicators"

I learn something every day.

What I would like to know is if your "wisdom" ever pans out. And that is only demonstrated by real time info of your trades, not your calls. And BTW - your one day trade suggestion for the Russell was a flop.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean-

my call has been great - while you were bulled up waving yours arms and doing back flips

i was telling folks to watch out - the issue with the budget will drag on and the market will drop for quite a while.

all i stated was that from an extreme oversold condition there is a good chance for a "pop" and many of the indexes were up today in the green after being hammered yesterday.

you think you are always right and i am always wrong ?

that's why you still to this day wont talk about what happened to you 2007-2008

but you will do a lot of boasting about how fantastic your calls have been 2012-2013

by the way - i did not buy in at the close yesterday or today - I am flat - still waiting for the bottom to form

Edited by trioderob

Dean-

my call has been great -

all i stated was that from an extreme oversold condition there is a good chance for a "pop" and many of the indexes were up today in the green after being hammered yesterday.

Russell down, Nasdaq down, S&P up less than one point, Dow up 26 --- In my book that does not classify as a "pop." But I know, you would have caught the top intra-day.

you think you are always right and i am always wrong ?

that's why you still to this day wont talk about what happened to you 2007-2008

Already asked, and already answered, more than once.

Kona, on The Big Island

Sssshhhhh - I'm trying to lay low - NSA listening, insider trading and all. :)

Oh - and keep this between us - a Tesla was also supposed to have caught fire in the underground garage of the main Samsung cell phone factory, late at night, shortly after the fire suppression systems went down mysteriously.

Kona, on The Big Island

it means the path down is easier than the path up right now.

the markets technical indicators show that a "elevator " down move can happen here

if you are Dean this is of no consequence because he will make money no matter what happens

some of the other folks out there may not be so lucky

(of course if the DEM & GOP come up with a wonderful deal and appear on tv "arm in arm" looking like they are in LOVE this all goes out the window and there will be a rally - but even that may not last )

Edited by trioderob

Dean-

i know you like charts

give me your take on this chart

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/McSumNYSE.html

Looks like a confirmation of what I have already told you. That we are in a trading range.

And it looks as if we had another 100-200 pts down hard, it would hit the lower end of my range, and also get your Summation Index and McClellan Oscillator to a level that would suggest a turn around. Do you want advice, or are you just trying to quiz me?

And I don't necessarily "like charts." They show what has happened, and what is happening, but I don't count on them to tell me what will happen. I trade mostly on extremes in sentiment, in companies I think are sound (or in trouble, for a short), while keeping an eye on the overall market climate. Now, how to gauge that sentiment? That is the difficult part.

Kona, on The Big Island

it means the path down is easier than the path up right now.

the markets technical indicators show that a "elevator " down move can happen here

if you are Dean this is of no consequence because he will make money no matter what happens

some of the other folks out there may not be so lucky

(of course if the DEM & GOP come up with a wonderful deal and appear on tv "arm in arm" looking like they are in LOVE this all goes out the window and there will be a rally - but even that may not last )

Oh, so it could go down from here, unless it goes up. OK folks, take that advice and go make some money.

Kona, on The Big Island

here is a Dean type prediction

the market will ultimately go up long term but I see the possibility of a correction of unknown duration at some intermediate point.

ok dean make a call - they came up with a deal today to kick the can down the road - what happens after today -the trend resumes and up we go for the next 3 months ????

just talk to me about the next 3 months - now to years end.

make the folks out there some money

Edited by trioderob

All of this potential cooperation in congress is annoying. We need to get back to bickering so I can pick up some clear bargains.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

here is one viewpoint

the GOP just got crushed

on top of that -at this very moment they have the lowest approval rating in history

add to that a new Dovish cheif

all add up to a large balance sheet which has been bullish for stocks

here is a Dean type prediction

the market will ultimately go up long term but I see the possibility of a correction of unknown duration at some intermediate point.

ok dean make a call - they came up with a deal today to kick the can down the road - what happens after today -the trend resumes and up we go for the next 3 months ????

just talk to me about the next 3 months - now to years end.

make the folks out there some money

Rob - we have been through that more than once. I told you back in summer what my scenario was for the next 6-9 months (through Q1 2014) And a couple of times since. One last time - I said trading range from summer/early fall until a break out to the up side late in the year and/or early 2014. We've had the trading range - tested up and down side - now we see if we get the break out and a Santa Claus rally as all the money managers who are under-performing try and catch up. And then it would be nice to see the up trend continue as the new year kicks in.

And yes Rob - "the market will ultimately go up long term" - that's what you need to remember. Just as the odds favor the house, staying long and "in" as often as you can will favor you.

BTW - how did it feel sitting on the sidelines today? As a reminder - never ever any money to be made there. But if you keep fearing the down side, that is where you will be most of the time.

the path down is easier than the path up right now.

did not buy yet - the time will come soon

Dow up 323 pts

Kona, on The Big Island

BTW - how did it feel sitting on the sidelines today? As a reminder - never ever any money to be made there. But if you keep fearing the down side, that is where you will be most of the time.

Dean-

it feels great - I will be a buyer on Monday

Dean-

it feels great - I will be a buyer on Monday

At the open or close?

Kona, on The Big Island

I had a limit order to buy an index long around what would have been DOW 14,600 - but it ran away from me - just missed it. Still there though - in case we have a major rout from here.

Kona, on The Big Island

Yahoo has been relatively strong over the past couple week's idiocy. Its earnings report is due out Wednesday. Anyone follow Yahoo stock? Its up about 25% from its last ER.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida