Sign in to follow this  
ghar41

Palm Book

ghar41

I've been very impressed with the book Cold Hardy Palms by Alan W Meerow. I have found the information very helpful with lots of examples of cold hardy palms. Much better than the coffee table type palm books you see floating around this one has specific information about nutritional needs, propagating seed, disease problems and much much more. It is obviously well researched and I recommend it to my cold hardy friends out there.

post-376-0-43364500-1380581877_thumb.jpg

Sabal Steve

No replies? Really?

Bump!

Brahea Axel

I agree, this book deserves some comments. The problem goes back to what I've mentioned before about the poor and vague definition of what "Cold Hardy" means. In the past, I've always looked at "cold hardy" as referring to those people trying to grow palms outside of the usual palm belt, usually the 8b to barely 9a hardiness rating. But Steve's comment prompted me to want to check out the book.

Turns out the book covers palms below USDA 10a, it covers 82 species, although I know there are more than 82 species that survive in 9b and colder. I tried to find a table of content and wasn't able to find one. I did find this web site that is associated with the book: http://www.coldhardypalms.com/availability/ColdHardy.asp, which lists the classic 50 or so hardy palms that grow in USDA 9a, but it doesn't even list parajubaea. But it has howea fosteriana. Unfortunately, unless the author enables the "preview" mode on Amazon or at least makes the table of contents available, I will pass on ordering the book.

I am pretty sure this book won't cover our climate, as pretty much zero palm books ever cover cool Summer mild Winter climates around the world.

monkeyranch

Great book to loan to people first becoming curious about cold hardy palms. It's a thorough, and concise summary of hardy palms which is well organized as to not be too overwhelming for a beginner. Enough info for more advance palmophiles to reference regularly. I find it particularly useful for pointing out palms when presenting the "Intro to Cold Hardy Palms 101" talk to people. Nice array of photos with a overall shots of entire mature palm and detail images for each species and often a pic of juvenile examples. While written primarily from a southeastern US perspective there are comments about west coast differences. Most of the hardiness zones/temperatures seem well stated; not too conservative as to limit possibilities and not too unrealistic as to set people up for disappointment. pH and other soil requirements are indicated. Plenty of comments about special conditions or hazards for determining placement in the landscape. A few lists of palms grouped by characteristics and a summary of palm diseases and problems are in the back. Well worth the money. Plus the snow covered Trachys on the covers really help sell the concept.

Axel, the library at Strybing might have a copy you can look over. Initially, I thought it looked a little thin by the cover but it is really dense with info.

The Riffle/Craft book is the "bible" but if I had to pick out only one book for a public library to promote hardy palms it would be this one.

ghar41

Hi everyone,

Monkey ranch, nice synopsis in my opinion. It could easily be picked apart, not perfect but If there is a better cold hardy book please share.

I have a copy of the first edition from 2005. I've referred to it a number of times- the nutritional deficiency and flower specs info for example. Axel, Parajubaea is included pgs. 68-69.

Kathryn

That was my first palm book and was very helpful since PalmTalk wasn't around and the internet was in its infancy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• MonkeDonkezz
      By MonkeDonkezz
      Hello PalmTalk!
      There is going to be a short introduction first.
      My name is Yahor though I prefer you call me by my username and I am from Staten Island, a borough of NYC.
      I don't feel comfy telling people my age, but I am 12-16 years old.
      I first got my interest in palms when visiting Jacksonville Florida last year.
      I want to start growing them.
      So the reason I am making this post is something that has caught my eye for a while.  According to Wikipedia, on the page about NYC's climate, the climate data graphs and classifications section show that  areas of NYC might be in zone 8a.
      LaGuardia has 11 F (-12 C) as the minimum for January.
      Belvedere Castle in Central Park  has 9.8 F (-12.3 C) as the minimum.
      JFK has 10 F (-12) as the minimum.
      Sorry if the pictures look bad
      I find the emotes on the forum funny 

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Looks like that “dip in the jet stream” is coming our way...so far I see two days/nights sub-freezing with most nights into low 20’s F and some upper teens. I’m off tomorrow so I think I’ll do a little prep but not like past winters. As I said earlier, I want to grow cold hardy palms in normal NOVA winters without overdoing it on the protection. Anyway, the new Trachy F. will get well protected, as it should for a winter or two with an umbrella and a nice layer of burlap and frost cloth on its cage with lights on the ground around the trunk and up to the crown, just a matter of inches...but everything else is going to get protection lite. The established Trachy will get some lights up the trunk (for looks) and on the crown. Same for the Brazoria. However, the Brazoria will get an umbrella over the crown, anchored with a shepherd’s hook and a blanket of lights on the ground, though a heavy rain will turn into a river around the Brazoria so I may have to improvise a bit. The Medi gets minimal as well. Sounds like a lot but compared to past winters, it’s definitely a pullback.
      Will send after pictures tomorrow...
      New little Trachy will get babied but that’s necessary:

Established Trachy and Brazoria get some lights and the Blue B gets an umbrella...

The Medi is ready...it has a blanket of lights on the ground but I may use cover if I have to...will wait for a forecast in the mid teens...this is the palm that is going to be most tested...

These guys laugh every time I do this...no protection here...

Honestly, the Needles, McCurtain and Sabal minors give real meaning to the term cold hardy...they truly are great palms for this NOVA climate.

• teddytn
      By teddytn
      I love PalmTalk! But not gonna lie, I sometimes have trouble finding a space to post certain things I have going on. Probably need to start a blog, but eh nah lol, we’ll go with this! 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Pretty sure this is squirrel damage...

I noticed several fronds drooping and thought it a natural shed and this was part of the process, but the “ shed” was painfully asymmetrical. Upon closer inspection, I found this! It gnawed the underside of the petiole, thus causing the collapse.

Tell you what, squirrel pot pie sounds great about now. The symmetry of my palm is being ruined. It hasn’t hit the upper third...yet but I’m sending out a dinner alert for all those red tailed hawks that are visiting for the winter. Honestly, of all the things that could happen...mulling splint supports...maybe a baffle (which should really add to the beauty of my palm) any other suggestions?
    • Zoltan
      By Zoltan
      I see some people say Dypsis Lucentes usda zone 10 and up.I disasagree with that at least here in Florida.
      In St Augustine by Aligator farm entrance you can see many of them.I talked to the zoo and they told me they planted them maybe 15 yrs ago as 5-7 gallons by now they are tall maybe 12 feet or more.You can see them from A1A. But also you see some in downtown around the belive or not.This is usda zone 9a .But if this is not enough,I live in Jacksonville at oceanway which is east of 95 ,we have on Pulaski rd zip code 32218 by church for minimum 10 yrs  about 10 -12 feet tall. planted right by entrance the wall.  And if this is still not enough at Jacksonville Airport at Hilton has at pool backside of the building w/o any protection beside it planted right by the building.So I think if you place it on sunny side and close to building it can tolarete all the way to Jacksonville. I don’t have any idea about 8b zone like west of Nort Florida or Ga …Also I know a person listed close to Jacksonville airport she planted a Dypsis decaying “ triangle palm “ back in 1990 right by her house.It’s made it eversince and it’s way taller than her house.She protected at beginning heat pad etc .She has some photo at palmtalk . I have 2 of them I never heated them ,but covered however I can’t cover anymore they are out of reach .Over 12 feet or so.I got them from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago.Even leaves get touched they come back nicely.Mine not planted by house but by fence and it get early sun till late afternoon sun…