IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tagging feature for photos?

Kim

On certain popular websites, you can "tag" a photo by clicking on a point, and a bar will pop up where a name can be inserted. After tagging is complete, you can mouse over the photo, and the names will appear; remove the mouse and they disappear again. Wouldn't that be a superb tool for "tagging" the various palms in garden photos? :) Is that a possible add-on to this site, Mr. Palm Mod?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Do you want to give me the name of the site? Is it a forum? Is it an Invision forum? If so, that would indicate there is an add-on that I could research and see if it is available for the version of Invision we run. I will check, nonetheless.

Presently you can already do that by renaming your photos with the name of the palm. Then when hovering on the thumbnail, the name appears. I know, not exactly what you want, but close.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Not an Invision forum. The website-who-must-not-be-named. Ask Angela to show you. Imagine a broad view of your garden with each palm tagged as you mouse over it. :) I've never seen this on a forum, but it's such a good idea that someone should create it.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim,

Are you speaking of FaceBook? I don't think you can hover over palms in a garden on FaceBook photos and get palm names, can you?

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Kim,

Are you speaking of FaceBook? I don't think you can hover over palms in a garden on FaceBook photos and get palm names, can you?

Of course not. It's FACEbook, not PALMtalk. I referring to the tagging concept, not the precise identical function. It seems like something that could be used on a lot of web sites. Imagine a car buff site, where you could label every car in a photo of a car show. Imagine an underwater photography site where people could label all the fish in a photo of a reef. Wouldn't that be cool?

Kim Cyr

Of course - but FB has a few billion dollars more than your average website.

In addition, it appears to me as if the tags are pulled from a database of registered user's usernames (not real names), and limited to those names only. So even if the technology was available for purchase, it wouldn't work because cars, fish, or palms don't register on websites using their real names. :)

And besides, faces are fairly easy to single out in a crowd or group shot. Imagine trying to outline the various palms in a typical crowded landscape.

I was only wondering if such a method exists. When you did your panoramas, there were a few labels that appeared when moused over, no? i guess those were "camera viewpoints".

If I knew how to write code, I would develop this idea. Make it so the person posting a photo could click any point on a photo and label their Pelagodoxa henryana, Dictyocarium lamarckianum, and Wettinia hirsuta at will. There would be no need for registered names or plant recognition. Surely someone has already thought of this.

Then when doing a search for, say, Pelagodoxa, threads AND photos would come up. Cool, huh?

I can see how the few billion dollars would come in handy.

Edit: The website Houzz uses little green tags in photos, and when you mouse over them, they tell you, for example, that the countertop is Caesarstone in mocha, or the faucet is Moen.

check this link: http://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic/kitchen/san-diego/

You must click on a photo to see the tags; not all photos have tags. Scroll down to 'Rustic Modern'.

Kim Cyr

There are many ways to do what you wish - all of them very laborious and manual. For the panoramas there was software that was created that would bit map the entire photo, then areas were identified with custom drawing tools, and that area turned into a link that will pop up a tag field on hovering that you can then fill in. Each ID tag I placed on that panorama took about a half hour. So to tag 10 palms in one panorama would take about 5 hours of work - about as long as it took to create the panorama itself.

I understand that unless you understand how some of these things work in the background, simple ideas may seem simple to do. Sometimes they are, and sometimes not so much.

As much as I like and even tout Facebook, this is one feature I do not care for. I have my security settings such that I cannot be tagged in FB. Well, cannot is technically incorrect, you can tag me all you want, but only I can see the tag. I prefer to be in control of my name being associated with photos. Of course on FB as well as PT someone can always mention your name in a caption, but that is a bit different, at least in the way it is distributed on FB. Actually in that case, the privacy settings might be in favor of FB over PT.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages