IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fukushima is just what I feared it would become...

Mandrew968

Which disaster is the worst nuclear disaster?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is Fukushima worse than Chernobyl?

• Yes, it is worse
    • No, it's not as bad.
    • It remains to be seen...
    • I don't care if I glow in the dark.

At first I was pretty alarmed when seeing this article.  Then I started to read it more critically.  I think Fukushima is a horrible tragedy but this article is blaming every malformed fish in the sea on radiation from that reactor.  Without any real proof, only conjecture.  They seem to be conflating different issues into the reactor radiation mess.  

This article comes from a radio station and is not a reliable or credible news source.  Heck, even the author would not leave his identity.

7ce4f682b13e2317a90f687921fe945a?s=100&d

U.S. Reporter

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerry, you should be alarmed--at least for Japan and the Pacific... bet no one can find cumulative readings for total radiation release. Hot particles have been found all the way in Tokyo. Tokyo water is contaminated. I would implore anyone to give me good news about the situation. I also doubt anyone will go back to the beginning of this thread to see all I said was actually spot on! It takes a while plus more time to get the truth leaked out--some has already come out, like the admitting now that there were at least three complete and total meltdowns. Or how this released more radiation than Chernobyl. Or how Japan is lying and placing their own citizens at heavy risk with their policies on this. It's hard keeping up with this thing, but suffice it to say I was right about this. Anyone see anymore seagulls or crustaceans on the sea rocks like before the meltdown? Told my brother about that and he said he noticed a big change in the lack of sealife.

• Upvote 1

Even assuming the situation in japanisnt as bad as screamers may claim there is plenty to be concerned about.

No one has figured out what to do with the waste short of entombing it for 10,000 years.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, anyone, willing to keep watch for 10,000 years?

Over these cans that will only increase in number and get more unpopular than . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The planet is fine, and will be just fine.  We, as humans, are the optional component.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

11 minutes ago, _Keith said:

The planet is fine, and will be just fine.  We, as humans, are the optional component.

Exactly. Planet schmanet, except it's all we have.

We are all we have.

I can do without unwanted mutations, etc.

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Exactly. Planet schmanet, except it's all we have.

We are all we have.

I can do without unwanted mutations, etc.

But what if "we" are the unwanted mutation.   It is possible that we are the virus plaguing the planet.  Does not a virus want to survive too.  If we are the "blink of an eye" in the history of the Earth, why do we get to stay,  Why not the dinosaurs?  Is it just pure luck in the strike of an asteroid?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

8 minutes ago, _Keith said:

But what if "we" are the unwanted mutation.   It is possible that we are the virus plaguing the planet.  Does not a virus want to survive too.  If we are the "blink of an eye" in the history of the Earth, why do we get to stay,  Why not the dinosaurs?  Is it just pure luck in the strike of an asteroid?

Hmm. Nuke power is one more straw against us, I say.

How about that?

7 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm. Nuke power is one more straw against us, I say.

How about that?

Kind of depends on perspective.  To some the end.  To others a bad date on the way to finding Mr/Mrs Right.   And yet to others, not even a spec in time, a non-event.   All in how one sees things.

12 hours ago, _Keith said:

99.9+ percent of all the species that ever existed are extinct. Humans mistakenly believe that they are immune to this almost certain outcome. Traits that were once adaptive can become maladaptive, such as the gift of a mind that is adapt to building tools/technology.

The leaders of the world are largely afflicted with personality traits that will, as soon as technology allows, destroy all of humanity. This is really quite obviously just by a cursory review of the history of humans. These traits are known as the dark triad.

The dark triad is a group of three personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy. Use of the term "dark" implies that people scoring high on these traits have malevolent qualities

Narcissism is characterized by grandiosity, pride, egotism, and a lack of empathy.

Machiavellianism is characterized by manipulation and exploitation of others, a cynical disregard for morality, and a focus on self-interest and deception.

Psychopathy is characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, impulsivity, selfishness, callousness, and remorselessness.

http://www.jaketeeny.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/sheep-and-wolf.jpg

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 1