IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

proper placement of palms in a home landscape.....................

trioderob

Did the subprime crisis start because of american owners planted too many palms in front of their house?

Frankly I must say that this thread and these rules have interest only for very local suburbs whereas Palmtalk is having a worldwide scale.

We can't care these rules in Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, south tropical America and many parts of USA.
I am sorry but all that sounds like afternoon tea talk with Desperate housewives.

Please, post urgently a big lovely palm fronds picture in this thread! otherwise....

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Desperate pros!

I noticed that I am not the only landscape-designer on Palmtalk and posting on this thread.

But It seems useless to write more from our experience and even to read this thread.

Better to run away and read "Iguanura new leaves" or discovering new pics of Areca vestiaria!

BTW: did most of you notice that palms disappeared from this thread, which is still in DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE?

I would say: never plant such a thread in front of your forum!

Philippe

keep-calm-this-thread-is-closed.png

Sorry, Majesty!

Nope!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

But some people on this board my prefer this: (you may want to read about the anti-lawn crusade: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/underused-unifo-150531)

front+yard+before.jpg

Photo_Video_67733145552364189432964_medi

although i'm not a fan of xeriscape I really like how clean the 2nd one is ... the problem with xeriscape is that it usually ends up looking like the first picture.

Gravel mulch looks great when you first put it in, but it's a magnet for leaf litter. Also, in our light, sandy soil, large gravel is heavier and sinks down into the sand.

I am enjoying reading this thread. My yard (it's not a garden...it's a yard with some nice plants here and there--Jim in Los Altos, for example, has a garden and some of the nice entryways shown in this thread qualify as well) is probably halfway in between the "Principles of Landscape Design 101" pictures shown and the rambling plant collector's jungle. I've been guilty many times of buying a palm or other plant on a whim and planting it somewhere ill-advised.

An important consideration for me is ease of maintenance. I mentioned picking leaf litter out of gravel. Another thing I try to avoid is a tree out in the middle of an area of lawn. All my beds have gentle curves and almost no trees or plants are outside of a mulched, edged bed. Then there are the areas in a bed that are just plain hard to access physically and so don't get weeded or attended to very often.

A landscape architecture rule of thumb is to make your landscape fit in with its surroundings, and I bet many of ours here on Palmtalk don't, but of course rules are made to be broken. Mine does somewhat because the large oaks and pines in my yard are common to everyone else's, it's just that jammed in underneath them are a bunch of weird spiky plants. I try to compensate by keeping my yard well kept, tidy, with well-pruned trees, etc.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Great examples Axel. Where is that amazing picture of the pool from?

It was featured in Sunset magazine long, long time ago, Phil has a picture of it on his Junglemusic website, it's in Encinitas.

Sunset's Western Design book a couple years ago also had some shots of it. I believe it indexed to the designer who designed it. I could tell you for sure but I loaned that book out. You can guess how that worked out for me.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/33745-pssc-tours-asbaghouer-gardens/?hl=asbagh

I've spent way too much time just drooling over those pictures for many years. That garden is a master piece.

The nice thing about this thread is it makes people think about different gardens/yards types. I have been to a lot of what we call garden “rambles” as part of my local palm and cycad society, bromeliads society and the orchid society and no two are the same. It’s all what you like for your dwelling, formal, informal or what I call shotgun. In my opinion too many people don’t give their plantings enough thought, they (collectors) get excited about the new plant(s) and just start putting them in the ground. I on the other hand may over think my plantings. I try to think about how the tree or cycad will look as an adult and how it will interact with the nearby trees. And what are the requirements for sun, soil, temperature and how the plant will do with wind. I have held off on getting palms that are on my must have list because I have been working on developing the canopy to best accommodate those plants. I currently have a very large Kerriodoxa elegans that is on my covered screened porch for the last 6 months and will stay there until the plants that I have planted for wind blocks are large enough to block the wind. In my opinion the more thought that is put into the planting the happier you’re going to be with the results, no mater what type of garden/yard that you have or want to create. This is an example of thinking what your going to plant and making preparations to make sure the plants are happy.http://palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32498-laying-the-groundwork

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

I believe that nature has its own balance harmony reflecting natural disturbances corresponding to a biological needs, and that leads us to visual design. Each design options meets a personal need to work through the coordination of ideas, harmony, creativity, selection of plants, according to the climatic conditions of the environment. Our personal goal is to achieve a satisfactory visual effect design. What is different to ours, inspires us to all. Perhaps this is what motivates us to live, interact, and is one reason to be happy. The nature (although it seems repetitive) is infinite in its balance sheet. So we are all different in ideas, styles and thoughts .... having a balance in our lives. Best wishes! :D

Stark minimalism is NOT my style.

This is a view of my place, looking roughly south westerly from the northern end of my driveway.

There IS a house back there.

That big feather palm just left of center, behind the small Pritchardtia is a "mule" I got from Tampa Scott, who sent it to me through the mail. (It was MUCH smaller then :))

post-208-0-59254600-1380779267_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is that same view from roughly the other side (about 15 feet further south) looking about due east. There is a driveway and a wall on the other side.

The big "mule" on the far left of the previous picture is barely visible on the far left of this one as well.

post-208-0-56316900-1380779444_thumb.jpg

This is a view of my place, looking roughly south westerly from the northern end of my driveway.

attachicon.gif024.JPG

Wait, that big pritchardia, isn't that the one that headed North?

attachicon.gif024.JPG

Wait, that big pritchardia, isn't that the one that headed North?

Nope.

You got the smaller one. The big one has like 15 feet of trunk.

This is due south along the "allee" on the east side of my place.

The house is out of the picture off to the right, and just barely visible way in the back.

I mean, I care about the house, since I live there. I'm typing from there now.

Oddly, crowding like this seems to make the yard look even bigger, as your eye (brain) tries to take it all in and loses track of the distance. As time goes by, the trunks will get taller, and there will be room for more under the canopy.

Exemprify, Japanese garden principar: PRANT MORE PARM!

post-208-0-05625200-1380780277_thumb.jpg

Here's a great example of how NOT to place a palm. Had I placed it just 10-15 feet further south (to the right), there'd be no problem.

That big C. obtusa is going to get removed. :(

To paraphrase that old song: "That's what chainsaws are for . . . ."

post-208-0-88980600-1380780734_thumb.jpg

BUT! That removal will leave room for SOMETHING ELSE. At Dave's place, there's always another palm. And another. And another. etc.

What else will go there?

You tell me!

I feel a thread coming on. . . .

Sometimes, it's not so much about looking at your house, as looking out from it.

Here's the view from my front door, looking about north-north-west. That big palm is an Archontophoenix tuckeri, planted on the very eve of the Great Freeze of 2007 (X-mas, 2006) as a dinky, ugly 7-galloner in sand of doom. It's now about 20 feet tall and people mistake it for a royal.

That's an R. borenquenia on the extreme left. Not as big as tuckeri, but gaining fast.

I like the view! I like it so much it's hard sometimes to get into my car and go to work.

Oh, the sufferings we endure! :indifferent:

post-208-0-94478900-1380781171_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like the view! I like it so much it's hard sometimes to get into my car and go to work.

I like the idea!

and the wonderful A. tuckeri !

Philippe

Nice Dave! When is the PSSC tour at your place? :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

post-6735-0-50238600-1380967053.jpg

I would buy this property if it were for sale, very high price!

But it's not for sale and it's the lovely home of a PRO!

Philippe

attachicon.gifth_IMG_5132.jpg

I would buy this property if it were for sale, very high price!

But it's not for sale and it's the lovely home of a PRO!

Thank you, Phillipe but I couldn't even afford my house if I were buying it today. My lovely parents left it to me after their deaths and with an average one story ranch style here going for just under 2 million big ones, the neighborhood is full of Silcon Valley execs now. My parents bought the house in '68 for $42,000.00! The new demographic is great for my business though.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Here's a picture of my front yard, taken a couple of days ago.

Yard needs a bit of tidying, but the arrangement's looking pretty good.

post-208-0-68156700-1381201049_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

attachicon.gif001.JPG

for the few months I've been here i think this is the first time I've seen a zoomed out shot of a part of your yard .... looks great! .... i need to find sometime to head out there!

attachicon.gif001.JPG

David,

You should never leave the hosepipe on the floor in front of your entrance, it reduces the value of your property!

But lovely front yard!

Thanks

Philippe

Philippe

attachicon.gif001.JPG

attachicon.gif001.JPG

wow,its really been "Velezed" since last i saw it! the PRA team is overdue for a visit!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

attachicon.gif001.JPG

Dave, That photo looks like it was taken somewhere in the tropics. Love it!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 6 months later...

I was just reading the thread title again, "proper placement of palms in a home landscape." And after giving it careful thought, I agree, it is proper to place palms in the home landscape.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

attachicon.gif001.JPG

David,

You should never leave the hosepipe on the floor in front of your entrance, it reduces the value of your property!

But lovely front yard!

Thanks

Philippe

"Hosepipe"............Philippe are you sure your not actually from Alabama?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

attachicon.gif001.JPG

David,

But lovely front yard!

Thanks

Philippe

"Hosepipe"............Philippe are you sure your not actually from Alabama?

Or from Louisiana, lol. That was the only term I knew growing up.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

"hosepipe" sounds like a slang term, for well, you know?

It's not about proper placement of palms relative to the home, it's the proper placement of the home relative to the palms that matters in some circumstances.

cq5dam.resized.570.325.png