IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

proper placement of palms in a home landscape.....................

trioderob

Oooopps

Whoah, that front yard view is magnificent!!!! :yay: In some yards the gardens are much more beautiful than any house, and this is one of them!!! I think what is missed by the conventional approach is that a truly magnificent garden uplifts the spirit, it gives you an escape from suburbia. I want to look out all my windows and see views like this, not views of my neighbors stodgy yards. I don't care what the neighbors see, they can go scratch. This is more in line with what I want..... hopefully I will have my little palm heaven like Lens someday.... I've also seen Lens backyard with the pool, I cant imagine any landscape designer matching that...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Jeez, over-analysis of what's supposed to be a relaxing hobby. Plant any palm wherever you please if it makes you happy. I know some gardens where landscape architects have bounties on their heads if they're caught within a mile.

this does not make sense.

do we appreciate the music of a hack the same a Mozart ?

is Rambo 3 a important cinematic masterpiece ?

is your child really as important to the history of modern art as Picasso ?

same with landscaping - there are people who are landscape artists - they just don't throw things into the ground in a hap hazard way. there must be some keys to not only planting palms - but doing it right.

My child is the MOST important priority in my life, in that context, I don't give a crap about the history of modern Art, my kid is immeasurably more important! Anyone who thinks the history of modern art is more important than their child shouldn't have children to begin with.
As for palms, I say function goes before form. Function means growing and observing and enjoying a species of palm. If you like form over function so much, why not just get plastic palms?

"But it's all right now, I've learned my lesson well. You see, you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

"But it's all right now, I've learned my lesson well. You see, you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

Ah, you went to a garden party.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

this thread has nothing to with children.

and not only that............I like kids !

:)

You know this is all in good fun, right? This is a great thread and all opinions are equally valid.

Point of view 1: nice clean estetically pleasing garden

Point of view 2: grow plants because you're interested in the plants

Best point of view: point of view 1 + point of view 2

Even better: best point of view = sum of all points of view

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - someone famous said that

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - someone famous said that

F. Scott Fitzgerald

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks.

BTW, Keith, didn't you recently post this, http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/38001-post-your-ugliest-cool-palm-garden-view/?hl=%2Bhorticulture+%2Bgarden#entry590666, which seems like the exact opposite of this point of view:

IMG_4248_zps07d1157f.jpg

• Upvote 1

I like turtles

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Ah, you went to a garden party.

Too easy :)

Rob, if I had those million dollar fully custom homes you showed, I wouldn't block those either. But I live in a tract house.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

there is nothing wrong with breaking the rules if there is something special about your yard , house or whatever.

or surround the house with palms and say the heck with the outside world.

all I was getting at is that I have seen many houses where they break these basic rules and it ends up looking like dog excrement.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks.

BTW, Keith, didn't you recently post this, http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/38001-post-your-ugliest-cool-palm-garden-view/?hl=%2Bhorticulture+%2Bgarden#entry590666, which seems like the exact opposite of this point of view:

IMG_4248_zps07d1157f.jpg

I did indeed post that, and as you recently posted. "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

And if you have this ability, do not feel fortunate, for most will just think you are wishy-washy at best, insane at the least, and disloyal at the worst. Trust me, I know.

Place palms in the ground . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Thanks.

IMG_4248_zps07d1157f.jpg

I did indeed post that, and as you recently posted. "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

And if you have this ability, do not feel fortunate, for most will just think you are wishy-washy at best, insane at the least, and disloyal at the worst. Trust me, I know.

No comment...

A multitude of sins is covered by good hardscape. Hardscape, in so many gardens is tertiary at best. When it should come first if you are after a well designed garden. At the end of the day, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, I appreciate excellent design. Albeit informal. I like to look for beautiful scenes in nature and try to replicate those elements in my garden. Sadly for me, I'm not all that good at it yet. Neither do I have the patience to put in the hardscape. Guess I just like to talk a lot of s***.

I don't care what people think of my house. My garden blocks my house but has a couple of paths that make people want to peek in to see more. I never wanted a landscape that said,"look at my great house". I want the people that come over to have a great experience and to relax. I am probably into design as much as I am into plants but there are very few rules -as long as there is some sort of design that flows. Paul's place is totally different than Matt's but they both have great design and they both work perfectly.

Where is my "I like turtles" video

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Jim Denz, forgot him name on this forum didn't follow those rules, from the pictures he has posted on the forum the front of his house is OUTSTANDING.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I've planted 300 palms on my small lot and no one's ever complained. My neighbors love it but the important thing is that you love your own garden. I plant for me, not my neighbors and I plan on being here 'til I die so some things that might not be for the best in general for home sale don't matter. For instance, I've turned my swimming pool into a lagoon-like koi pond. Some people would rather have the pool. Doesn't matter. I like the fish, plants, and nature that it attracts much more. Do what makes you happy!

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Is the school open?

Being a landscape designer since 30 years and reading this thread and trying to plant a tropical garden (the first one was behind walls !!!!) I think I have to start to learn as soon as I can in order to avoid making more mistakes...

Is it a nice hotel close to school where I can have nice food and drinks too?

My favorite hotel is Intercontinental in GENEVA, of which I did the landscaping, inspired by G.Bawa's work.

So I have to start to learn the proper placement of palms and trees!

• Upvote 5

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

do not block the view of the front door or the path leading to the door

Yes. do not block the access to the garage!!! :) it can be disturbing for drivers!

• Upvote 1

Philippe

http://www.ptwijaya.com/

heres a cool landscaping site. a little Spartan for my taste as far as the amount of palms,but relaxing to look at.

Paul, with your post, you remind me Made Wijaya who knew and worked with Geoffrey Bawa.

For me two masters in tropical architecture.

Thank you for giving the link to Wijaya's work.

But it seems you have strange rules in California...

Philippe

Is the school open?

Being a landscape designer since 30 years and reading this thread and trying to plant a tropical garden (the first one was behind walls !!!!) I think I have to start to learn as soon as I can in order to avoid making more mistakes...

My favorite hotel is Intercontinental in GENEVA, of which I did the landscaping, inspired by G.Bawa's work.

Philippe

With respect to your trade and experience, please enlighten me with the concept of a balanced

and well pleasing landscape design....at least the basic tenets.

I dont live in a nicely built home like Versaille or Buckingham but at least have a decent landscaping

to make the home a little more presentable and enviting from the exterior.

Thank you.

Ritchy

Well, maybe the homeowner wanted a moonscape design.......

wanting to recreate the look of a lunar landing?

post-126-0-44964100-1379710561_thumb.jpg

Not everyone likes the tropical look.

Ive seen a house where they actually planted PLASTIC plants on the front yard.

There were no other plants, not even grass but just the plastic plants.

Cheers.

Is the school open?

Philippe

With respect to your trade and experience, please enlighten me with the concept of a balanced

I dont live in a nicely built home like Versaille or Buckingham but at least have a decent landscaping

Thank you.

Ritchy

Ritchy

I am sorry I can't "enlighten" you with landscape design.

There is no truth , only experience and personal choices which can change...

Palmtalk is giving us so many inspiring pictures!

I believe that every gardener has his own curiosity, culture, climate and can do a lovely garden in font of any house, trying to match to to surroundings or at the contrary not to match and make a very special garden, the one with Gravel, Pink flamingos and fake coconuts.

Did you already post pics of your garden or ask any question? if not, you can!

Mostly and recently I learnt that palm trees are changing so much from juvenile form to mature size that a plan garden is a scenographic garden which can change the composition within 1 year!

So we, palm-addict would better deal and accept this speedy ability to change because there is no hope to keep a static composition like french classic gardens do with box edging!

Would our friend Pangeaexpress agree to tell what he thinks about that?

Why not a curtain of Dypsis lutescens in front of your house? Intercontinental Geneva is hidden behind a curtain of giant bamboos....Tony Chi, new-yorker designer I worked with loved that!

(http://www.tonychi.com)

Kindest regards

Philippe

• Upvote 1

Philippe

I like Philippe's approach. There is indeed no truth because this is all about personal preferences and the individuality of each property. This can of course vary from very little individuality to a whole lot. I live in a place where the standard lot (=one acre) is 100 x 436 ft (30.5 x 130 m) and many people have their home on more than one acre. It would be impossible to come up with anything remotely resembling a uniform landscaping plan for the 2,000 or so properties in my subdivision for the simple reason that some are flat with few trees while others can have lots of ups and downs with many tall trees and of course everything in between. Some houses are close to the street while others (like mine) are so far in on the property that they can't even be seen from the street. This all provides for many interesting and very unique landscaping opportunities. No cooker cutter scenarios here! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Actually, I have a bunch of rules:

• House should not be visible from the street, grow big fat giant palms in front.
  • Plant as many palms as possible to maximize bio-diversity and to create a micro-climate
  • Plant lots of overhead canopy palms and grow smaller palms underneath
  • Plant bold giants
  • Keep your bismarckia away from other palms
  • have a greenhouse
  • have a nursery area where to keep potted palms
  • Bring in lots and lots of rocks
  • Make sure palms are accessible for urination feeding
  • Grow thorny palms on the fence line with unfriendly neighbors

All this sounds great Axel !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I've got two planter beds in front, with nothing else but pavers. 5 foot setbacks on the sides with a house that touches the setback on both sides. A 20 foot deep x 117 ft. wide back yard...with overhead power lines and a busy street behind and a community fence running the full length.

Trioderob.....how would your basic landscape design package work in my scenario?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I've got two plantertwo planterin front, with nothing else but pavers. 5 foot setbacks on the sides with a house that touches the setback on both sides. A 20 foot deep x 117 ft. wide back yard...with overhead power lines and a busy street behind and a community fence running the full length.

Trioderob.....how would your basic landscape design package work in my scenario?

PLANT HECK OUT OF IT WITH PALMS !

PALMS IN THE FRONT, SIDES AND BACK - AS MANY AS YOU CAN AFFORD.

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

Wow, nice subject. Reading all this on a saturday night too. I'm starting to wonder if I need my head examined!

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

There are three aspects I can think of in palm placement. First architectural, second improving livability of the interior and exterior spaces including heat and brightness protection along with privacy, and third palm placement for being able to generate the most beautiful of a certain species. With livability considerations, I don't want to block southern sun with too much shade, its not hot sun, its the winter sun that warms things up and its not that intense. Winter sun is good for your serotonin levels, as days are shorter and in socal they are even cloudy. The most harsh sun is the northwest sun, late day summer sun, the sun that heats your house to its hottest exterior temp near the end of each summer day. If you live in Arizona, west and northwest sun are the worst. In florida it is the same west and northwest sun are the most desirable to shade the living spaces from.. So the west part of the yard will be the hottest as well, those palms will be better off as heat tolerant ones. this also means that the east side is the best for more tender species. And I agree, a frank Lloyd wright designed house shouldn't be blocked from the street. But smooth column palm trunks don't block all that much if there are just a few and they look like architectural statements.

Well thought out post Gilbert, and I think that may be the point. Thinking it out before planting.

Is the school open?

Philippe

Thank you.

Ritchy

The word I use here is "inviting." Some gardens are not pleasant to look at, they just look unbalanced, they just push you away visually, while other gardens seem to draw you in, they look welcoming, you want to explore them. They can be all kinds of gardens, all styles, all types of homes, all income levels. Some invite you with openness, others with mystery. It is not a rule, it is a feeling you get.

Jim Denz, forgot him name on this forum didn't follow those rules, from the pictures he has posted on the forum the front of his house is OUTSTANDING.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I've planted 300 palms on my small lot and no one's ever complained. My neighbors love it but the important thing is that you love your own garden. I plant for me, not my neighbors and I plan on being here 'til I die so some things that might not be for the best in general for home sale don't matter. For instance, I've turned my swimming pool into a lagoon-like koi pond. Some people would rather have the pool. Doesn't matter. I like the fish, plants, and nature that it attracts much more. Do what makes you happy!

Well Said,I plant my palms where there is space to accommodate it.And i don't have the luxury to do land scape gardening or theme park kind of gardening due to lack of space.And when iam gone who knows that they are going to do to my garden.I meant the the next generation which lives or the new landlord.And in the place where i live only utility dicot trees are planted and grown.Other than coconut trees people do not show any interest in growing ornamental plants especially palms.

So i would say hard & fast rules don't work.But our garden should not become dangerous for kids & elderly.Since my favorite palms are all phoenix palms.So i do take some extra care so that no one gets injured while walking close to it.

Love,

kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

you only live once so do what makes you smile cause opinions are like blah blah everyone has one ralph valez has the best style in my opinion thick exotic jungle :greenthumb:

Adam,

Pictures are better than blah blah blah...

Who is Ralf Valez? can you show us his exotic jungle? I would like to see nice pics!

I am sorry if I ignore a famous palm-addict on Palmtalk but I am quite new here!

Philippe

you cant plant palms in any old way and have it look good any more than you can sing off key and have it sound good

Edited by trioderob

Dear Robert,

Could you be more educational and post pictures of your garden or other gardens you like?

So we can enjoy!... and learn!

BTW : What is old way? Did you see "new way" of planting palms in Singapore?

Many thanks

Philippe

Philippe

Wow, nice subject. Reading all this on a saturday night too. I'm starting to wonder if I need my head examined!

Couldn't get a date huh Jeff?

Most will not agree with me, but...

As much as I love palms - my house is not a research facility. So Yes - there is such a thing as too many palms in my mind. I could probably fit at least 50% more palms on my property than I already have, but I don't.

I do use guidelines, and one of my most important ones is - every palm has to have enough clearance around it, to allow me to admire it. I have not done that in the past and some palms I have now some palms I cannot see without moving other palms' branches out of the way and I have some growing sideways, etc.

.... some palms I cannot see without moving other palms' branches out of the way...

This can be an issue but at Year 0 we don't see how it becomes at Year 3 or 4; all gardener do the same mistake in all countries, then the machete can be useful or when we can, we transplant....

Transplanting palm species can be a new (or a bumped) thread.

regards,

but....who is Ralf Valez?

Philippe