IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. macrocarpa - need to shade this palm out......

Jeff Searle

I just planted a Chambeyronia macrocarpa. It is burning somewhat due to being shade grown and then ruthlessly thrown into filtered sunlight/morning sun behind a giant Ponytail and my other palms on the east side of my house.

Do I need to shade this palm out, or will it acclimate to filtered/morning light?

9b5b7401.jpg

Jeff

Jeff Wilson

SW Florida - 26.97 N 82 W

Port Charlotte, FL, United States

Zone 9b/10a

hot, humid subtropical climate - mild winters

approx. 50" rain annually during growing season

Summer came too early, springtime came too late...

went from freezing cold to bleached out summer days

I have three one to two gallon plants that get half day sun from the afternoon to the evening and one that is pretty much in the shade all day. The one in the shade looks best. I don't have a lot of experience with this but I would think that eventually it will get used to it, kind of like Kentia palms. Good luck  Mike

Mike Hegger

Northwest Clairemont

San Diego, California

4 miles from coast

Jeff,

Since a Chamby was one of the first palms I ever bought, I have made it a point to observe as much as I can from as many places as possible.

What I have noticed is that they are VERY slow to acclimate! I think some of that is here in So Cal they push 2-3 fronds a year MAX. So, while you're waiting for the first spear to open, most of the existing leaves burn, then that emerging spear is kinda 1/3 burnt, then the next one seems ok.

But they seem to be pretty darn durable and take into the mid 30's burnt leaves and all while acclimating.  :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Mike and Bill,

I'm thinking of planting a palm in front of the Chambeyronia to shade it out since it will be slow to acclimate to full sun. Will probably look better. Thanks for the info. :D

Jeff

Jeff Wilson

Zone 9b/10a

Jeff:

I have been trying to snag a decent photograph of a macro here which suffered the same fate last year.  I can't seem to get a good one so far.  But I agree with what's been said.  I have numerous containerized Veitchias of various sizes hanging around, and I clustered a few around the marco to provide more shade.  That plan worked very well, the palm continued growing nicely, and soon I will be snipping the burnt fronds away.

Good luck.

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Seems like this is going to be your call Jeff, I had one about the size you have planted in direct sun. To my amazement no brown and grew to be a nice palm. But in your case looks like its not liking the sun to much, I think if its just morning filtered sun leave it there the morning is not as bad as the afternoon sun. Keep it watered it will be fine :cool:

Jeff,

I have ten macros in the ground and each is in a different exposure. The ones in full all day sun are bright green versus the ones in full shade that are deep green. A couple more observations: The ones in full sun are growing faster than the shaded ones but the shaded ones put out more colorful new fronds. I think partial shade or full morning sun would be ideal and that yours will be fine eventually.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jeff,

I have been growing these palms for years, much like some of the other readers.Chambeyronias will burn a bit when their that small, this time of the year. But to me, I beleive in getting it in the ground and let it grow. You will see , that it will acclimate with each new leaf that emerges.Keep it well watered.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi guys,

I don't know how much more it will burn with all this rain in the past few days and massive cloud cover. The little Chambey has seen at least 6" in the past 48 hours. It's cloudy right now.....still raining at 6:35AM EST. Thanks for all the replies and advice. Perhaps, I'll have to hand water when the rains stop.

Jeff Wilson

Zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

We have installed a ton of C. mac's in various sizes. Keep the soil moist while it is acclimating. If it gets too dry, it will defoliate! The smaller sizes have less room for error when it comes to irrigation but once acclimated will often times grow faster and better than a larger planted specimen. In general, I recommend getting palms into sun at an earlier age. If they stay in the shade or pots for too long, they tend to have skinnier trunks as adults. I would also suggest trying to grow the  watermelon form of the C. mac if you can find them in your area. They grow much faster and look better in a shorter amount of time. Good luck!

John Mendoza

Landscape Designer, Owner

Tropical Vibe Nursery and Landscape

www.tropicalvibe.com

-Full Landscape design and installation

-Wide variety of palms and tropicals, centrally located in Orange County

-Complete line of garden care products available everyday

Alas, that looks all too !@#$%^&*()!! familiar!

Chambeys are tough, but they don't get used to the sun easily, as I have learned and relearned (and re-re-re-re-etc.) the hard way, rest assured.

But they will recover, if you give them plenty of water.  

I have a bunch of them, most in the shade, but a couple in about half a day's sun, doing okay, a little burn here and there, sorta like red-neck (literally) me, to go with the shoes . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...

Doink!

Jeff, how about an update?

Did your baby recover?  It should have.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.