IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floridian scare #3

SubTropicRay

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,21:49)

There is only one way to find out and I am feeling brazen.

Like living on the edge do you?  :D

Still can't tell where any of us is going to end up with this thing. Everything just seems all over the board and all the weather guru's are hedging their predictions with may not be that bad if, cloud cover, wind, wind direction, etc. More so than normal it seems. Its 48.7F at 10:07pm, so its cold but not dropping quite as fast as earlier this evening.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(ZoneTenNut @ Feb. 16 2007,22:03)

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,21:49)

There is only one way to find out and I am feeling brazen.

Like living on the edge do you?  :D

In the past, I have wasted alot of effort for what amounted to no real gain.

Of course, that effort really didnt matter in the end....no harm done!

But, as time has passed I now feel like these palms can stand on their own a bit more and, short of few palms, its only the really bad events (i.e. something into the 20's) that are going to cause lots of damage.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(ZoneTenNut @ Feb. 16 2007,22:03)

Still can't tell where any of us is going to end up with this thing. Everything just seems all over the board and all the weather guru's are hedging their predictions with may not be that bad if, cloud cover, wind, wind direction, etc. More so than normal it seems. Its 48.7F at 10:07pm, so its cold but not dropping quite as fast as earlier this evening.

Here is a screen shot of my weather station program screen.  Ive made suere the wind speed panel was chosen in the top right corner.  This pretty much tells it all....winds have calmed right down.  Perhaps they will pick up later tonight, but I dont believe this is forecast.

1010PM.jpg

Larry 

I gave in and did a 10 minute job with some sheets partially on 2 beds in the back, my baby mango tree and a baby lime tree. Really, everything I have has been in the ground for less than a year so they are not established plants. Everything near the house and too tall is going unprotected however, this includes bottle, V. arecina, Kings, Foxtails, Dyspis lutescens and my royal. SO there will be plenty of testing tonight anyway! Bananas and papayas are going comando too. On a more positive side note, I have harvested 3 tasty, ripe papayas from trees less than a year in the ground this february. That is a testament of just how warm this winter really has been! I hope they make it through the next few nights as they are loaded with fruit.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Well, its bedtime for this kid!

The bottom is starting to fall out over here as temps are falling at a rate of about 2F/hr.  Obviously, this rate wont hold all night, but the fact that the dewpoint is dropping and the air is dead calm leads me to believe that the upper end forecasts calling for high 30's will probably be off (unless they know something I dont).

Lets all report back in the AM with the results!

Larry 

It's all over Larry.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

All over but the crying that is.

Did you take a before photo of the Pritchardia?

I guess I'll contribute here for SE Winter Haven: As of 11:30 p.m. I'm down to 40.5 in my front yard (facing west) and 47 in the palm sock (and rising  :D ). Gilbert Field (WH airport) about 10 miles NW of me reported 39.9 at 11:00 p.m.

The strange thing is I'm seeing reports of 37 around (Sebring, Lake Placid, Plant City), but we're once again slightly warmer.

NWS says tonight's low will be 35 (for 33884) and this is drastically different than nearby Lakeland's forecast of 29 and 28 in many other cities close by. I've been monitoring the four weather sites for the past few days, and the NWS hasn't budged from 35, but we'll see what really happens. Last year's event on Valentine's day left us at 35 while other areas close by hit 32. I like to think our lakes make a difference, but I can't prove it.

Manuel Montesino

Cypress Gardens - Winter Haven, FL

The Chain of Lakes City

Avg. High: 84F; Avg. Low: 63F; Avg. Precip: 50 in.

Elevation: 150 ft.

It's currently 37 in my part of Jax.  The forecast is as follows:

NWS: 29

WUND: 28

Weather.com: 30

I don't even check accuweather as it never has anything close to the other three.  I think it gives me a forecast near the airport when I put in my Zip 32225 and my climates nothing like that near the airport.  

Thankfully this is up a few degrees from yesterday's predictions.  I went ahead and played it safe and threw some sheets over my more tender stuff this time to protect from possible frost.

still about 37 or so here at 0300.  Some fog looking action from what I can tell without going outside (will soon but not just yet)

Am using mind powers to overcome the power of cold.  Working?  We shall see.

Alan

(sleep is for suckers!)

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Its 0300 hours here in the Faulkner Barracks, and I have been holding onto 41F, with Venice High School checking in at 41.7 on the Intercoastal. Just got home from a friend's house and checked one of my car's rooftops for frost, but all I got was some cold dew. This may not be as bad as the last cold snap to be honest.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

here in st. cloud at nursery #1, we hit 35 at 1:53 a.m. .. since then, we've been holding steady at 37 (it's now 5:45 a.m.)

at nursery #2 in narcoossee (just 4.7 miles northeast of here), it's 29.8. it's been at or just below 30 for about 4 hours now.

hope everyone else is making it thru okay!!

PalmBoy

Same here. No frost on the grass anywhere I can see, but the top of the truck and front window have ice on them. 37.4F right now. Still slowly dropping, but the sun is on the horizon. Shine baby Shine!

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

32.4F here hit around 6:30 AM with rooftop and cartop frost. Nothing on grass, plants or palms except dew. Temps coming up now. Pretty close to freezing though. I will take some pictures of damage if anything major presents itself later today.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

7:26AM and 37.9F now, so temps are climbing finally. 37.4F was my low.

The sun is shining bright, so hoping for some major warming today.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

32.6 in N.W Tampa @ 7:30 am. No frost!

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Currently 28.3 here in Jax.  Temps bottomed out at 28 even last night.  This is officially the coldest day of this very warm winter and still two degrees warmer than the last two years.  There doesn't appear to be any frost on the grass, only car and roof tops.  I'm glad i covered everything this time though.   I will wait until temps get above freezing before I go out in the yard and start uncovering everything.

At 7am my backyard temp was 34.  A very thin layer of frost on the car's windows, none on the grass and palms.  Sun is already shining on some palms!!!

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL zone 9b+

Jeffrey

Apollo Beach, FL

zone 9b/10a

34.3F low at 653AM here in Tarpon Springs this morning.  This is exactly (down to the tenth) the low tempeature I recorded on 2/14/06 (the coldest morning of last winter).

The winds died out at about 1015PM last night, briefly and very lightly came backfrom abouu 130AM to 230AM, then died back out completely after that.  

No frost here either as the dewpoints were ridiculously low.  At the time of the low temperature, the dewpoint was 19.9F.  I am actually surprised that the temp didnt drop lower with the dewpoint being so low.

Its up to a wonderful 37F now at 740AM.

Larry 

(Ray, Tampa @ Feb. 16 2007,23:28)

Did you take a before photo of the Pritchardia?

Ive got plenty......and if I were to take an after photo right now, it would look the same.  

So far so good on this palm....I will watch it closely over the next few days.   At that time I guess Ill be able to conclude whether or not 34F bothered this palm much or not.

Larry 

Also, at 6AM, I measured the temperature right at grass level as 29F.  So, there was a full 5F differential between 0 and 5 ft above the ground.

As such, one can probably assume that the taller palms saw something warmer than the temp measured at the typical 4-5 ft above ground.

Larry 

32F here, just northeast of Orlando.  Some light frost on the roof and a cover sheet by the road.  Lots of dew on my plants leaves;  this would have been bad if temps dropped a couple degrees more.  What a relief.

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

Our coldest was 34.5.  I'm afraid for my potted guys - we didn't bring them in and I don't want to look :(

So much for our microclimate.  Losing the oak meant losing some heat I guess.

Worse than last winter, and maybe more in store......

"IF CURRENT MODEL GUIDANCE PREVAILS THERE ARE GOOD CHANCES OF

EXPERIENCING ANOTHER FREEZING EVENT ON MONDAY MORNING WITH MOST OF

INTERIOR WESTERN AND CENTRAL FLORIDA DROPPING INTO THE UPPER 20S

AND LOWER 30S."

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Oh, and........

No frost anywhere that I know of.

Temp rising very quickly now.

At 7:45, we hit 39 (oh lovely...  :P ); now it's 41.5.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I'm feeling a little ripped off. While I don't think the mercury went below 38, heavy frost on a car out front and some on the lawn. I did not notice any on the palms. I didn't have any real damage from V-day last year so I don't expect much damage. Still did not expect that where I am.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

36F here this AM with no frost

More cold on the way tomorrow night.  Feb has become my least favorite month.  Prior to the last three weeks, this winter was the best I'd ever seen.  Now, you can lump it in with the rest of them.

:(  :(  :(  :(

I was wrong  :(  Can you all ever forgive me?  :(

It froze here last night, probably the worst this year. I assume it got to around 28 or so......the winds didn't switch........I had the plants covered and we did have frost......... :(  

Note to administrator.......we need a crying emoticon :( <----this just doesn't quite get the point across

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

And as another side note. WeatherUnderground personal weather stations are all over the place ......... what's up with this? The station closest to me always seems to be off by 5 degrees or so. Who do you all use to find out weather closest to your location that has some sort of standard.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Fri 57º/34º our time has come! Bet on lows: will they go up or down? My bet (hope?) is for ... 36.

In Orlando it bottomed out at 36ºF with Apopka at 30ºF so that makes my house at roughly 32ºF. Lots of frost in car, roof, and grass. Phoenix roebellenii going for the bronze again, Musa sp. "Royal purple" with boiled leaves but no more damage so far, except at points of contact with sheets.

i Estoy vivo !

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

I see you'all got pretty cold, I hope it drops no further.  

Its interesting to read all the reports of dew. When we had our freeze event, you were hard pressed to find areas that were 25%RH at the 6PM "start".

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, based on what I saw of our last freeze event, I think you'll be suprised how much cold Pritchardias can take!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Whew, we squeeked by at 27-28F here in my neighborhood.  Did have a big frost on the grass, but the variegated ginger is still looking pretty good.   Jax airport set a new record of 23F last night!  I'm glad I settled on the south side!

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Whoops: I hope I got the right guy as I get loadsa problemos down here due to water ingress into cables.

Also Jen: PLEEZE stop posting exotic pics like that - its just too much to bear here in Europe!

Regardez palm amigos everywhere and if Pablo is having a lurk I could do with a palmy calendar and aloha shirt and I am only too happy to pay.

I am a very proud to be a member of this great Society.

Regardez

Juan

Juan

frost frost and more frost in 43786. As of now no damage. My neighbor's bannanas have some browning but mine do not nor my ylang-ylang. covered my A. vestaria, teddy and P.  caesia ( why this is in the ground I don't know). Everyhting else is to large to cover. Hopefully I will not see any damage if so I'll post pictures.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.