IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floridian scare #3

SubTropicRay

fireants will survive a freeze, they live in the ground.  to get them would require glaciation, which I do not see as a fair trade.  Anna Maria - saw frost with my own peepers in 89. (cleaned offices there with my mom, actually a real estate trailer thing and some models.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Panama City low last night was 36.5 F. I didn't cover anything. Things feel cold outside right now at 11:30 it is 41 F. The cloud cover may save us again tonight, they are now calling for 32 F tonight and 34 F tommorow night. Come on March!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

They are forecasting low 40's for my area Saturday morning. I hope it stays a bit warmer than that. It is almost March, you would think we could skim on by with no more cold. A few more weeks, just a few more.

Ryan

South Florida

Panama City low last night was 36.5 F. I didn't cover anything. Things feel cold outside right now at 11:30 it is 41 F. The cloud cover may save us again tonight, they are now calling for 32 F tonight and 34 F tommorow night. Come on March

David,

if it makes you feel any better, it's gonna be 13f here tonight.....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 15 2007,12:38)

Panama City low last night was 36.5 F. I didn't cover anything. Things feel cold outside right now at 11:30 it is 41 F. The cloud cover may save us again tonight, they are now calling for 32 F tonight and 34 F tommorow night. Come on March!

you may want to double check that David. It seems kind of high when you consider the mid 30s as far south as Tampa.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

According to NWS, Friday is looking worse for Central Florida.  I think I will be taking maximum precautions this time. Each forecast temps are trending lower. My forecast is now 30F.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

Turn out the lights...the party is over.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Latest news up here is that we might be spared freezing temps by the cloud cover here. If the clouds clear out by morning ........... all bets are off... then temps are expected to sink down to 28 F. My wife is out putting the sheets on everything just in case.

And Bobby.......yikes.......I've been thinking about you up there in that snow....when are you making your big move, and have you thought about moving further down toward or beyond the Cape?

My forcast has actually gone up, NWS went from 30 to 32 and weather.com went from 35 to 36, Accuweather.com from 33 to 40 ( :D ), and Weatherunderground.com from 30 to 31.

Brevard County, Fl

As of now for 34689----

NWS - 36F

Weather.com - 36F

Weatherunderground.com - 31F

Accuweather -  39F

I finally figured out why weatherunderground always seems to forecast lower than the other outlets for my zipcode.  It dawned on me tongiht when I carefully read the detailed forecast for Pinellas.

It states---

"Friday Night

Clear...colder. Lows around 40...except in the lower 30s in the northeast portion of the County. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph becoming north 5 to 10 mph after midnight."

I wondered....why would they forecast 31F and then state lows around 40F?  It turns out that they lump the 34689 numerical forecast into the same group as used for the areas of Pasco county to the north.  If I look for the forecast at a location a mile south of me, it jumps up to what the other outlets forecast (35F).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

No matter what happens, it sure looks like inland areas north of Tampa are going to see a very hard freeze at around 20F.

Larry 

Larry are you kidding me??? inland areas near Tampa near 20F???  I thought we were going to be cold tonight, but we're not getting near 20, supposedly.  Supposed to get to mid 20s here (coldest of the year by far).  If I remember correctly from my days in FL, Brooksville seemed to be the icebox of the TB area, much colder than the rest of the bay area.

Dead serious Jim!

About an hour north of Tampa....this area is always an icebox on cold events.

brooksville.jpg

Larry 

Brooksville to you guys is like Kerrville TX to us.  The ice box of the greater San Antonio (and Hill country) area.  5-10 degrees colder than everywhere else.

Larry, is there any chance for frozen precip in the brooksville area? 34F with precip forcast could be tricky.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 15 2007,22:28)

Larry, is there any chance for frozen precip in the brooksville area? 34F with precip forcast could be tricky.

Bill-

I was wondering the same thing.  

It has actually been raining lightly here for a little while as well.  Its not enough to measure, but the ground is wet.

Larry 

Interesting graphic on the NOAA site for central FL.  Wish I could post it - I can't do the copy thing as well as Larry can.

There was a freeze warning for Bradenton and Sarasota and inland.  Wind chill advisory for Tampa and the surrounding area.  Pinellas had...... nothing.  If only it will stay that way!

Our Friday low is now forecast to be 41.  Sure hope we can keep it at that - hanging on to my "zone 11 winter" by a thread  :P

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Feb. 15 2007,22:45)

Interesting graphic on the NOAA site for central FL.  Wish I could post it -

Perhaps this one?

warnings.jpg

These maps are usually a little misleading IMO.  Due to the county by county coloring, they can show that Anna Maria Island is under a freeze warning, while Odessa in extreme NE Pinellas is not!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 15 2007,22:10)

(Ray @ Tampa,Feb. 15 2007,18:46)

Turn out the lights...the party is over.

Or it might be just getting started!

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums....ers.flv

Larry,

Not to pour SALT on any fresh wounds,but are you sure you should be playing with those THINGS?

I mean if  rope lights are deadly,then these..... :laugh:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Well 24 hours later ,we have actually been revised UP

As of 11:30 PM  for 32780 Titusville

NWS  -   33  up 2 degrees

Wund -  31   up 1 degree

TWC  -   34   same

ACCU -   34   same

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Well, looking really cold tonight down here as well.

Weather.com 39F

NWS 38F

Weather Underground 37F

Everyone seems to be hedging their predictions though, with alot of uncertainty on whether there will be wind or cloud cover, which would up the temps a few degrees. Definitely going to be watching this closely today, but at this point, no plans to do anything like covering stuff up or dragging into the garage.

I'm picking up some firewood today though and cranking up the fireplace tonight. Only been able to use it a couple times this winter and this will likely be winters last Hoorah. By Tues. we're supposed to back up to 77F and by Wed. 80F.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(gsn @ Feb. 15 2007,23:42)

Larry,

Not to pour SALT on any fresh wounds,but are you sure you should be playing with those THINGS?

I mean if  rope lights are deadly,then these..... :laugh:

Scott-

I can handle these....I promise!

I have no plans to use them tonight unless it gets alot worse than expected.  I can also run out in the wee hours and fire these up for a short period if need be.

Larry 

This is from Weather.com for Tampa......

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.

A SECOND IN A SERIES OF COLD FRONTS WILL MOVE ACROSS THE PENINSULA LATE TONIGHT. COLD AIR WILL RUSH IN BEHIND THIS FRONT ON BREEZY NORTHWEST WINDS DURING THE DAY FRIDAY. THESE WINDS WILL DIMINISH IN THE EVENING AS A COLD HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM SETTLES OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO. AFTER SUNSET FRIDAY EVENING... TEMPERATURES WILL QUICKLY DROP WITH READINGS IN THE NORMALLY COLDER INLAND LOCATIONS FALLING BELOW FREEZING AFTER 3 AM SATURDAY. MINIMUM TEMPERATURES ARE CURRENTLY FORECAST TO BE IN THE UPPER 20S IN THESE COLDER LOCATIONS. TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE ABOVE FREEZING BY MID MORNING.

This is obviously very scary..... I'll keep my fingers crossed for all you guys down there.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

As of 9AM for 34689----

NWS  -   36  

Wund -  32  

TWC  -   35  

ACCU -   39

Go accuweather go! :D

Larry 

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 16 2007,09:14)

This is from Weather.com for Tampa......

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.

A SECOND IN A SERIES OF COLD FRONTS WILL MOVE ACROSS THE PENINSULA LATE TONIGHT. COLD AIR WILL RUSH IN BEHIND THIS FRONT ON BREEZY NORTHWEST WINDS DURING THE DAY FRIDAY. THESE WINDS WILL DIMINISH IN THE EVENING AS A COLD HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM SETTLES OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO. AFTER SUNSET FRIDAY EVENING... TEMPERATURES WILL QUICKLY DROP WITH READINGS IN THE NORMALLY COLDER INLAND LOCATIONS FALLING BELOW FREEZING AFTER 3 AM SATURDAY. MINIMUM TEMPERATURES ARE CURRENTLY FORECAST TO BE IN THE UPPER 20S IN THESE COLDER LOCATIONS. TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE ABOVE FREEZING BY MID MORNING.

This is obviously very scary..... I'll keep my fingers crossed for all you guys down there.

Bobby-

That actually sounds like a good forecast!

Upper 20's in the "normally colder" locations is not bad an probably means the warmer areas that comprise th bulk of the area will be middle to upper 30's and the absolute warmest areas like St. Petersburg will stay in the 40's.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,09:14)

As of 9AM for 34689----

NWS  -   36  

Wund -  32  

TWC  -   35  

ACCU -   39

I'm with you. Every one has me at 30 to 32 except accu has me at hello wait I mean 35. They all have me with patchy frost :(  :angry: . Two of these a year keep us all down a zone and in check. I'm crying in my frost cloth.

Hopefully we are all adding instead of replacing at the south Florida palm sale.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,09:14)

As of 9AM for 34689----

NWS  -   36  

Wund -  32  

TWC  -   35  

ACCU -   39

What's wrong with this picture?

The DOOM and GLOOM  weather site, ACCUWEATHER has you the highest?  And tiki tiki  it's his highest forecast also? I call computer GLITCH!! :D

Either that or they might have fired  the BASTARD(I)! :P

They are still fairly close in aggreement over here as of 11:20 AM,with the exception of the NWS going back down to freezing! :(

NWS    - 32

Wund  -  31

TWC    -  34

ACCU   - 34

Latest NWS disscussion as of 10:12 AM

CURRENT PLAN IS TO UPGRADE FREEZE WATCH AREA TO FREEZE WARNING

PENDING QUICK LOOK AT 12Z GUID. WILL ALSO BE TAKING A LOOK AT NEW

MODEL GUID TO ASSESS NEED TO ALSO EXPAND WARNING INTO INLAND

SECTIONS OF THE SRN COASTAL COUNTIES...WHERE NEAR FREEZING TEMPS ARE

ALSO EXPECTED.

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Yeah BUT the freeze/date probability MAP say we should be okay! :;):  Is to late to join W.E.P.?

I'm finding some SAND and sticking my head DEEP in it!!!

Okay it's now OFFICAL, Febuary is definately my least favorite month of the year,after last year and this year!  :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,13:25)

GO COVER YOUR GOODS!  IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES!

A few minutes when the "goods" are 4 ft tall :D

Larry 

It's 55º outside currently...  :ghostface:  BRRRR!!!  

Struggling into the 50's here as well...currently 54.5F at 130PM and the temperature, at least for the past half hour or so, is pretty much flatlining.

The fun should begin in a few more hours ???

Larry 

Well it is really odd you folks to the south are getting that low. I had cloud cover till about 3 am and then it was clear skies. My temps only got to 33.5 F. it is possible that my yard might have gotten to the freezing point.........but I don't think so. No Frost either. Tonight I am hearing from the local forcast to be about the same. Are you all sure it's going to be that cold down there? I am still holding on to a Zone 10a winter up here :)

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:28)

Are you all sure it's going to be that cold down there?

If I was sure, Id be selling my wares to Accuweather

<insert Dr. Evil voice with pinky in mouth>

.....for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Larry 

(Alicehunter2000 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:28)

I am still holding on to a Zone 10a winter up here :)

If you hold 10a all winter, will it be a record?  I would suspect it has to be close.

If tonight doesnt hammer us, many areas around Tampa may stay Zone 11.  Unbelievable!

Trying to think positive here......

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 16 2007,13:26)

(PiousPalms @ Feb. 16 2007,13:25)

GO COVER YOUR GOODS!  IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES!

A few minutes when the "goods" are 4 ft tall :D

HAHAHA, No one will make fun of the 4' shade house today!  :cool: