IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

x jubutyagrus

sonoranfans

x jubutyagrus from tim hopper almost 3 years(feb2014) from strap leaf 4" pot. This palm was planted in a dry area, an area where irrigation is not very good. For the first 2 years it grew moderately, but his summers rains have set it in motion. Its now 9' overall. this one sees full florida wesern sun and plenty of it. It is and has always been an upright looking cocoid hybrid. My understanding is that it is

(JxB)xB)xQ. It has not had much of the brown spotting noticed on other jubutyagruses, and now that spotting is virtually gone. Its a fine leaflet palm and starting to take off. I have several cocoid hybrids and this one will be an interesting comparison with some of the others.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Wow, I am doing something very wrong with mine. Please share details, watering, fertilization, soil conditions - ph especially. What is your secret?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Mine looks about the same as yours does Tom. Im wondering if the canopy will become more spreading as the palm gets older, similar to how xButyagrus does. A nice palm for sure!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Wow, I am doing something very wrong with mine. Please share details, watering, fertilization, soil conditions - ph especially. What is your secret?

Keith,

the base soil is pure grey sand to about 3' then some mixed clay/sand. I have amended 1 bag of palm/cactus soil to the soil when planting. After this, I fertilize 3 times a year with florikan palm special(4-5 handfuls each time) and I also add Alaska fish fertilizer and humic adic("bioactivate" from"natureslawn") and top mulch 2x a year to enrich the soil. Other than that, I just recently(1 month ago) added some dolomite garden lime. my soil is slightly acid pH , and I expect it has a very low cation exchange capacity, but terrific drainage. Just this past year the palm has really "woken up". Im sure it has added 2'+, perhaps 3' of height between memorial day and now. My yard has pop up spinklers that came with the house, and they run 2x a week in the event of no rain. I was wondering about this palm for a while, but now it is looking like a nice canopy palm for me in the future. the leaflets are notably more fine bladed than my mules and it is more upright. Part of this could be the greater sun, it gets full bore unimpeded florida sun from 10 am to sunset.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Here is mine, 2 years in the ground. Full sun. Daily overhead irrigation from March to october. No brown spotting.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

gorgeous Rafael! I love the color, very arresting green leaflets! Is this a Hopper or Shaffer hybrid? Or perhaps another source?

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

here is the before picture from memorial day 2013, 3 months before... Note its a different angle but the palm was not taller than me(6'1") at that time. I was away for a while so it was bit of a stunner to see it when I came back. this summer has had consistent rains, almost like clockwork, easily the most since we moved in march 2010. Before this year, my area seemed to be a dry node in west coast florida, with rain to the north and south seeming to be more than here.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Here is mine, 2 years in the ground. Full sun. Daily overhead irrigation from March to october. No brown spotting.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

gorgeous Rafael! I love the color, very arresting green leaflets! Is this a Hopper or Shaffer hybrid? Or perhaps another source?

Thanks Tom!

This one is from Tim Hooper. Have 4 in pots. And another one in the ground, this one from Patrick Schaffer. :)

woooow Tom!!

...is growing like a beast!!..., only three months??

...i do not have rainy season along the summer., i think it is an important factor

...stunning upright form those jubutiagrus from Tim, mine do also...

Patrick jubutiagrus in my hands grows slower...