IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

September Stock Market Discussion

tank

Apple looks weak.

How can you say that? Where were you yesterday when "Apple looked strong." Up one day and down the next does not make a stock weak. That is how stocks move. It is essentially where it spent most of last week/month.

The proper evaluation would be that Apple is continuing its month long consolidation after a massive 100 point move. And now the focus will move to where it should - on sales - here and in China. The next two/three quarters will tell the tale.

But if you look at the market hour by hour you can say that Apple was weak after the event. But then you could say that Apple was strong before the event. So what? Longer term perspective needed Rob. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean-

So I take it you are very bullish on Apple stock from this day moving forward ???

:interesting:

also:

what do you make of this ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^SOX

No - I'm not "very bullish" now. I was "very bullish" at $400, with a stock buy back, increased dividend, and excessive pessimism. But I'm happy with what it should be doing now - it should be taking a rest, or drop back a bit after a run like that. But there should be a lot happening the next six months as far as news, new products, and earning reports - so I am cautiously optimistic.

I'll read your link when I get some more time.

Kona, on The Big Island

also:

what do you make of this ?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^SOX

If your asking about the SOX - to me it it is almost a proxy for the NASDAQ as a whole. If you bought it a year ago, you would have done almost exactly what the NASDAQ did. So what's the point? For me, I don't really understand the semiconductor market, so I stay clear.

post-11-0-61907900-1378870986_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island

Apple looks weak.

How can you say that? Where were you yesterday when "Apple looked strong." Up one day and down the next does not make a stock weak. That is how stocks move. It is essentially where it spent most of last week/month.

The proper evaluation would be that Apple is continuing its month long consolidation after a massive 100 point move. And now the focus will move to where it should - on sales - here and in China. The next two/three quarters will tell the tale.

But if you look at the market hour by hour you can say that Apple was weak after the event. But then you could say that Apple was strong before the event. So what? Longer term perspective needed Rob. :)

what say ye now oh great stock guru - its down 6% today !

I am getting the feeling that you are obsessing and delighting every time Apple downticks. But some people find it easier to relish another's pain/failure instead of finding your own successes satisfying. Even if it is for a day or two.

But - yep, not a good day for Apple. A 25% gain just turned into a 12% gain (which I wish I could pocket every three or four months). However, as mentioned countless times with this trade - check back in June, if I'm not stopped out sooner.

Kona, on The Big Island

I said it was weak - you immediately poo-poo 'ed me.

your always right and i am always wrong ?

no way.

Edited by trioderob

I said it was weak - you immediately poo-poo 'ed me.

your always right and i am always wrong ?

no way.

I have to agree with you - I am not always right.

Dean-

come clean.

your just taking wild guesses at this stuff - right ?

Yep - me and Carl, just taking wild guesses. He really doesn't know much about stock pricing.

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Apple Inc. AAPL fell 5.4% Wednesday, but that hasn't deterred Carl Icahn. The billionaire activist investor said on CNBC that he is still bullish on Apple, and bought shares in recent days because it's cheap right now. He called investing in the company a "no-brainer." With Wednesday's slide, shares of Apple are below where they were trading before Icahn disclosed his stake.

Kona, on The Big Island

Exiting some of my stocks and ETFs that are currently up and stalled (DDD) ahead of the fed announcement and potential debt ceiling issues.

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Exiting some of my stocks and ETFs that are currently up and stalled (DDD) ahead of the fed announcement and potential debt ceiling issues.

Certainly never lead anyone on about anything with real cash. Just stating the obvious that the market has been amazingly resilient in light of all the known issues ahead. The debt ceiling issues seem to be the next thing and I'm sure there will be no shortage of playing chicken with the worlds largest economy. I have hedged some of my exposure with SDS which so far is a loss but lets me sleep at night, net I'm still long.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Just taking what profits I have and looking for a new entry point on some of these. DDD, VUG, and a couple others. Looks like I escaped a DDD dip! Probably will shoot up to over $60 tomorrow.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Certainly never lead anyone on about anything with real cash.

I hope that what I was stating didn't come off as that. I am just guessing that this will be the meeting where the fed actually drops some dates. Also, the debt ceiling crap always causes problems.

Also, Rob said buy so I'm selling.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

SOLD, still holding onto the dog that is AAPL :) . Tim Cook showed Ichan some Minority Report mind blowing future tech stuff, I know it.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Probably 10' tall interactive hologram that emits from your belt buckle. I'm gonna hold out on getting a new phone until the IBuckle comes out.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I sold a few things. Never quite sure what you mean you you say you "Bought" or "Sold" or "Hold". Is this your entire portfolio or only couple of stocks, etfs, etc? Give us some insight into what you're talking about.

Edited by tank

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I will do a "Dean" type prediction:

the market will ultimately go up but along the way I see the possibility of a correction which may or may not be short lived

he does have the right ideas - the problem is pulling off the implantation

in other words -because the market crashes faster than it goes up - how do you bail out before the crash while the news is still good ?

if not - you take a 10 % haircut like we saw with Apple this week

or a 68 % haircut like we saw in 2008

Edited by trioderob

I hope that what I was stating didn't come off as that. I am just guessing that this will be the meeting where the fed actually drops some dates. Also, the debt ceiling crap always causes problems.

Sorry I mis-stated that, meant I would not lead anyone on about anything with real cash. I have learned over the years nobody thanks you for good ideas but everybody reminds you about bad ideas.

Jupiter FL

Sorry I mis-stated that, meant I would not lead anyone on about anything with real cash. I have learned over the years nobody thanks you for good ideas but everybody reminds you about bad ideas.

Anyone that construes any of my actions as advice should send me their address so I can mail them a shovel.... to bury themselves with :sick: .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

these posts are for entertainment purposes only and absolutely must not be construed as investment advice or any recommendation of a specific transaction, investment or trading activity

Edited by trioderob

Rob - you still don't get it.

If I buy a stock at $100 and sell it at $100, it is not a haircut - it doesn't matter what it did while I owned it. By your reasoning, if it went to $150 and dropped back to $100, I suffered a 50% haircut. So, that would mean if it went to $50 and climbed back to $100, I had a 100% gain. But by my reasoning, any accountant, and the IPS, I broke even in both cases.

If you start looking at what you POTENTIALLY lost on every down day - instead of looking at your overall situation on a position - you are going to trade like a paranoid schizophrenic. Hmmmmmm --- that would explain a lot.

You don't have profits or losses until you complete your trade. You only have what are called unrealized gains or losses. And last time I checked "unrealized" means not yet realized, not yet real, non-existent. They are chickens that have not yet hatched. And you know what they say about counting on things like that.

Kona, on The Big Island

Rob - you still don't get it.

If I buy a stock at $100 and sell it at $100, it is not a haircut - it doesn't matter what it did while I owned it. By your reasoning, if it went to $150 and dropped back to $100, I suffered a 50% haircut. So, that would mean if it went to $50 and climbed back to $100, I had a 100% gain. But by my reasoning, any accountant, and the IPS, I broke even in both cases.

If you start looking at what you POTENTIALLY lost on every down day - instead of looking at your overall situation on a position - you are going to trade like a paranoid schizophrenic. Hmmmmmm --- that would explain a lot.

You don't have profits or losses until you complete your trade. You only have what are called unrealized gains or losses. And last time I checked "unrealized" means not yet realized, not yet real, non-existent. They are chickens that have not yet hatched. And you know what they say about counting on things like that.

Do you meditate before coming into this section of the forum? Just the degree of patience you have is stunning, you should be a school teacher if this whole trading thing doesn't pan out for you.

Jupiter FL

Do you meditate before coming into this section of the forum? Just the degree of patience you have is stunning, you should be a school teacher if this whole trading thing doesn't pan out for you.

You have kids - I raised a kid - coping with everything seems easier after raising kids.

Kona, on The Big Island

Dean-

you are telling me NOTHING I don't already know.

nada -zilch

how about some real advice about events that will move the market that are NOT front page stories today ?

"just keep buying - there is no top"

Edited by trioderob

So tank you an owner?

Yes, but not a massive amount. Bought in at $1.5. Dean made a comment about this one being long term (years) and that was my initial thought as well when I picked it up. If any of their treatments for ALS and other degenerative brain diseases end up being successful, then look out. If not, then, not a big loss. Just hard to miss when it shows and 80% increase in less than a month. Hadn't heard any new news on it so we'll see if it doesn't drop like a rock in the next few days :winkie: .

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Dean-

you are telling me NOTHING I don't already know.

nada -zilch

how about some real advice about events that will move the market that are NOT front page stories today ?

Hmmmmmmm - Let's see...

Your first post on this topic was back in Nov when you said the market was ready to crash. I tried offering you advice back then. I said the market was still in the middle of a bull run that would continue. Too bad you knew it all back then.

Then you started fretting about rising interest rates, and Uncle Ben, and Fed tapering. I tried offering more advice - that it was going to be no big deal when it happened, that it wasn't a secret, was inevitable, and wouldn't be unexpected - to stay long. Too bad you knew it all back then.

So you decide what was the best advice. Mine - when you first advised us of a "Crash" and I said to stay long - Blue Dot. Or your recent revelation to join me and go long - Red Dot. At least you eventually decided to follow my advice and stay long for more than a few hours.

post-11-0-73298700-1379102087_thumb.png

Kona, on The Big Island