IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palms zone 8a (northern France)

ghostorchid77

I go here very often but I never posted. Then I start and present you my little collection and atmosphere of my garden which is very young. I'm here since 2008, the land was not much raised. It is quite windy. Regarding climate, summer is short enough, the seasons of spring and autumn long enough in winter and against a slightly cooler period fall and spring. I'm in a degraded oceanic climate (equivalence zone 8a). 1650 hours of sunshine per year.

Gingers (Hedychium, Roscoea auriculata, Colocasia Pink China, Musa Basjoo)

img_5416.jpg

Hedychium yunnanense (august)

hedych11.jpg

Sabal palmetto (plantation 2012)

img_5110.jpg

Trachycarpus fortunei

img_5013.jpg

The same close-up

img_5012.jpg

Sabal minor (dwarf palmetto) - Planting late August

img_5418.jpg

Xeric plants (Yucca rostrata, baccata, prickly pear, Chollas, Echinocereus, Salvia azurea, Echinacea, Oneothera..)

img_5010.jpg

All in the garden

img_4810.jpg

Winter January 2013 Brrrrr....

img_4210.jpg

Edited by ghostorchid77

In the garden of my parents 70 miles south of home (palms: Sabal minor and bermudana, needle palm, Cycas revoluta, Yucca aloifolia)

img_5312.jpg

img_4710.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks nice!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Very nice pictures!

I am considering about buying Rhapidophyllum, how much he can survive?

Kindest regards

Andrew

Ondra

Prague, Czech Republic

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_metric_

Needle palm -4°F (-20°c). Here my parents it is still there after suffering 1.39°F (-17 °C).

it is more resistant but it is slow growing.

Edited by ghostorchid77

Nice looking palms. You should try some brahea too.

I am trying to grow sabal minor but it doesn't seem happy here.

Are you in Normandie? I grow a bunch of cider apples from Normandie in our garden alongside my palms. Only trouble is they ripen here in August in our California heat instead of November so we do our juice pressing in the summer.

Your garden looks very very nice. Please keep posting. Your pictures are excellent. A very nice blend of up close shots and shots of the overall garden. It will be fun to watch your garden develop over the years.

By the way, I have heard reports of the Needle Palm surviving even colder temps than you mentioned.

Great effort. Growing palms in Hawaii and Florida is comparatively easy, growing palms in Northern France is an art all to itself.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yes palm resists needle palm normally colder. But I remain cautious about our European climatic conditions. Here the warm period is much shorter than you. We have a lot of moisture in winter. This is very detrimental to many exotic plants.
I'm glad you like it.
Yes Keih, it is true that here, is a real challenge.
No Axel, I'm not in Normandy. I'm 40 miles north of Paris and my department touches the Normandy region. But my climate is much drier and a little colder. By cons I have very good apple in my jardin but not to make cider, damage I love it.

A picture of the garden last year in September. There has been a lot of changes since then and new mass created.

img_3310.jpg

Dasylirion wheelerii

img_4913.jpg

Yucca nana and Opuntia 'Cheyenne' (Complex polyacantha)

img_4915.jpg

A more conventional planting shrubs with acid soil (Rhodies and Ericaceous)

img_5419.jpg

Rhododendron yakushimanum

img_5420.jpg

Roscoea auriculata

img_5422.jpg

Garden in the mist, late August 2013, autumn is not far.

img_5423.jpg

• Upvote 1

superbe! Merci!

Nice pictures of very interesting collection for a garden which doesn't get such a mild climate!

Do you have Yucca baccata too?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Yes I have several varieties of Yucca baccata. It's very hardy here. Sometimes some tasks ennhiver because of moisture but otherwise no complaints. By cons I have more trouble with Yucca rostrata . My average climate is siuvent a disadvantage but it also allows can grow different things with quite different needs, wet or dry.

This is only the beginning ! The garden is very young . I am just beginning to understand how it works, its micro climate, its advantages and disadvantages

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very nice. A quick note - your Sabal Palmettos should grow moderately slow there, but they can get quite large and might damage that well that they are planted near.

Edited by Sabal Steve

Would Jubea or Butia work there?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil