Sign in to follow this  
DoomsDave

Livistona chinensis -- about to trunk -- La Habra, CA -- LABOR DAY WEEKEND ONLY

DoomsDave

Hello, everyone:

I am giving away a Livistona chinensis palm, aka Chinese fan palm.

Pick up and take away only, Labor Day Weekend only, for the reasons noted below.

As you can see from the picture it's about 18" (0.5 M) across the base. It will take full sun, high heat and frost. Excellent palm for inland areas, including Riverside and San Bernardino. Also great near the beach, like gnarly. Lush, bright green; lovely when the crown grows back. Tough and not bothered much by pests or disease. Good for a lawn or well-watered garden. Up to 40' tall with time (20 years). It will survive droughts, but much better with regular water.

It's already dug, so you don't have to worry about that part. It's HEAVY; it weighs about 400 pounds. It's spiny, though not lethal.

If you want it or have questions, shoot me a PM.

You will need: (i) your own pickup truck (DON'T use a car!); (ii) gloves for protection; (iii) a sturdy friend (or hired slave) or two to help you load it; (iv) some sturdy rope to tug and pull.

Be nice to Mr. Spinal column, and don't try to impress with your massive manly (or womanly) strength. Make it as easy on yourself as you can.

I have heavy boards to use as ramps to assist with loading, but you will need your own when you get it home. (It will be a lot easier to off-load than it will be to load.)

I strongly recommend you plant it as soon as you get it home; maybe have the hole already dug for it. Plan on watering it frequently, at least every other day till it roots in. If you have bad soil, I recommend putting in plenty of organic material mixed into the planting hole. I'll be happy to impart all the knowledge I have about this type of thing.

Give it plenty of vertical height. PLEASE don't plant it under telephone wires, or a low house overhang! (Sigh.)

Since it's already dug, it won't last for long. If someone doesn't get it by September 1 or 2, 2013, I'll turn it into palm heart salad.

Thanks for your interest, contact me with questions.

(Shoe not included.)

post-208-0-41438800-1377883049_thumb.jpg

post-208-0-40564700-1377883156_thumb.jpg

_Keith

I sure wish you lived closer to me.

DoomsDave

So do I!

But, everyone, Keith's place gets cold, and L. chinensis will thrive for him. He also gets hot. A great palm for inland California.

Cindy Adair

Please someone take advantage and save this lovely palm!

_Keith

Bleah

DoomsDave

Bleah

Truck not included . . .

post-208-0-97186600-1377977842_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

This is a lovely species folks!

post-4111-0-44972800-1377997470_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-28253100-1377997471_thumb.jp

_Keith

This is a lovely species folks!

They certainly are lovely, and hardy to Zone 9a, and warmer parts of 8b as well.

DoomsDave

Well, Mr. and Mrs. Dale and Dale from Long Beach came and got it this afternoon.

Come on, quit crying, there will be others. It's not like Palmtalkers were burning up the phone lines . .. .