IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Picture from Tenerife II

Carlo Morici

Here is something that will cause comments... I hope.

Roystonea regia

Junta del Puerto - Santa Cruz de Tenerife

DSCN0164_resize.jpg

DSCN0166_resize.jpg

• Upvote 2

Looks like Tropico's avatar!  Holy **** I want it now!  How much to dig it up and bring it back here?  What's the deal with that?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

What the?? This is the first time that it is actually REAL color and has not been photoshoped!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

There is no painting and no Photoshop. It is a naturally natural. Just as in the "unknown" Dypsis species, each time a sheath is shed, the following sheath stays red for about a week.

This group of palms was planted about 12 years ago. They had just a few rings of too skinny trunk. They are on my way home so I have seen them almost everyday, since I moved to the island.

(MattyB @ Jul. 14 2006,22:25)

I want it now!  How much to dig it up and bring it back here?  What's the deal with that?

I assume it is not on sale! Junta del Puerto (the Port Administration) is one of the wealthiest institutions on the island, so I guess they will not to sell the palm that grows in front of their main official building.

Carlo

Carlo,

Incredible color! Would be interesting to know what happens with the offspring (colorwise I mean). Any ideas? I don't see any inflorescences. Do they cut them off? I assume it's a mature tree?

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

These palms have never fruited yet. Sometimes they get overpruned , just like in the pictures shown above. Overpruning goes against fruit production but they never attempted to bloome, even when they kept their crowns unpruned. I think they are just too young. Roystonea needs time here and these may need a few more years.

JD in OC: Looks like it could just be a dying leaf sheath?

It is a just a dying colourful leaf sheath of a Roystonea regia with colourful dying leaf sheaths : )

Carlo

Wow...after the blonde Phoenix canariensis, there comes Carlo again, with Roystonea brunette !! What's next? a blue coconut and a black Coccothrinax?  :D

Maybe I'm wrong, but unless there's a need to keep leaves away from buildings, there shouldn't be much cause for pruning royals, unless there's reason to think a falling crownshaft would be less hazardous than a falling crownshaft + leaf.  Anyway, I see royal pruning all the time.  I haven't seen red crownshafts, though!

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave-Vero: there shouldn't be much cause for pruning royals, unless there's reason ...

You are right, I agree, but the owner does not.

Gileno Machado: Wow...after the blonde Phoenix canariensis, there comes Carlo again, with Roystonea brunette !! What's next? a blue coconut and a black Coccothrinax?  :D

Which do you want me to show first? The blue coconut is already fruiting but Coccothrinax are so slow.... Well I am joking - we don't have these things yet but we do have lots of yellow Delonix regia around or cherry-red avocados, one variegated Pritchardia and a lot of weird "study-case" palms with ruffled or compact leaves or branched trunks.

If you like palm brunettes and blondettes, then you may fall in love with this red-haired Howea forsteriana.

normal_CIMG2775_resize.jpg

normal_CIMG2774_resize.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 1

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too

This picture was taken by a friend in a garden in Northern Tenerife shows a Dracaena draco, self sown on Phoenix canariensis.

10.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hey Carlo, may we see photos of the variegated Pritchardia please ?

What pritchardia species is it ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The variegated Pritchardia is planted in the ground at the Palmetum in Santa Cruz. Here is the picture, taken four months ago. Not too healthy, but it was planted in the ground just a few months before, after years of boredom in a greenhouse. Greenhouse or not, the plant is at least two times slower than its green "sisters". The spear is green, the freshly unfolded leaves are whitish and then they slowly get greener by going through some sort of mottling.

As for the species name, it is a Pritchardia sp. Lost Label

Seeds came from Teakettle nursery, in Belize, in 1999 but the tag has been lost (but the plant was saved - applause ! ). If I am not wrong,  it was a batch of 2.000 or 3.000 seeds of Pritchardia pacifica, P.hillebrandii and/or P:thurstonii. One was variegated and here it is.

pritchsmall_resize.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 2

Back in the old thread (frankenpalm) RLR's name for my creation was the funniest of all (I can't recall exactly what was it). Anyways is hard to be creative when the palm family will always match or outperform your imagination.

And now, from the same batch of seeds harvested at the Feralas lush forests of Kalimdor, here is

post-47-1153234675_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

And the real (surreal?) thing:

DSCN0165_resize.jpg
  • Upvote 1

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

hai Carlo Morici,

This is Kris Achar From South India(Madras). My opnion is same as Matty.i too want this palm in my home adoring the main gate-way.but pity there is only one to lay our hand on it.

On the first instance even i felt as though it was photoshoped to appear as royal with red coloured leaf end.

Since you say it is natural and not painted,we members have very little to talk but to feel that it has undergone genetic mutation of some kind. or i wish to know wheather some research on genetic modification on palm trees are going on silently. Like GMC on cash crops !

I wish to know this ? kindly debate on this.

hey your pictures are good & keep them coming !

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I concur with all the shireiking and hollering and I-wannas of all the other Royal Palm Brats.

Hmm.  Looks like a  mutation.  Will it come true from seed?  Or, can you dig down and try meristem propagation?

If there's one, there's bound to be another . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What are those horizontal lines slashed across the top of the crownshaft? were lights mounted on it?..right where you also see yellow.

Are you sure that's a Kentia?

Dave,

There are other "red royals" where I am. Maybe not as bright as the one I have shown, but they do exist in this city. I will tell you the whole story later with a bit more time, this is just a quick reply. Kris, I will also reply to you.

Stan,

The kentia is a kentia, Howea forsteriana. Some years ago I picked in a commercial nursery eight exceptional seedlings among many thousands of typical green ones. Six were washed away by a flood and two are still in my hands. I don't know more but  "red" kentias have been discussed before in this forum and many people said that it is not uncommon but the colourful kentias lose their feature as they get older.

Carlo

I am taking my time to take some pictures of some more colourful royal palms. I might surprise you soon, but maybe it needs another thread.

Stan: What are those horizontal lines slashed across the top of the crownshaft? were lights mounted on it?..right where you also see yellow.

They are black plastic straps. They used them some months ago to tie the crownshafts and retain the sheaths but they did not work too well. I remember there is an official building in downtown Waikiki with some huge royals with green plastic straps (and old Shefflera actinophylla trees).

Kris,

As far as I know there is no ongoing research on transgenic palms. GMO's are mainly annual cash crops and basically no trees. As the Monsanto corporation states, "Bringing a product from concept to reality takes several years and tens of millions of dollars"... and then they don't say that these products usually last one year. The only true reason for this is the market. The owners of Monsanto eat every day so they can't sell a perennial product which lives for years and can be cloned by cuttings (thinking of a dicot tree). The first few GM trees are being released (pines, plums...) for the first time but only annual crops, that must be purchased every year (and whose improvements generally last merely one season) can feed the research and development departments and the hungry pockets of the investors.

Nobody knows about the future, but the best surprises of the present, still come from open air-pollination, such as the royal palm shown above.

Carlo

thank you carlo's,

yes i understand your point loud and clear. we all love to see more photos on peciluar or wierd looking plants around the world. and your contribution on Red Royals is worth mention.

your photos can make the royal princes also take note of these palms.

one man one tree..

Kris (to all my friends out there).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I posted a lot of pictures of Roystonea in a new thread named Roystonea regia with colourful crownshafts:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...ct=ST;f=1;t=460

I just repeat two of them here to keep this thread complete too.

Roystonea regia with colurful crownshafts in a highway intersection in La Orotava.

EnlaceOrotava1_resize.jpg

This one grows by the former two, but this leafsheath is reall about to fall, so I don’t know if this “counts”-

EnlaceOrotava2_resize.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 7 months later...