IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RIP Inge Hoffmann

Eric in San Jose

I've never posted on Palmtalk before, but it has come to my attention that one of the people responsible for the early mass distribution of palm seeds has died. I believe it would be hard to have palm garden that hasn't had a seed from Inge Hoffmann. She passed away after a long illness with cancer in San Leandro.

• Upvote 1

Eric,

Thank you for sharing those sad news with us. Inge certainly took a very enthusiastic and active role in the palm community during many years with her seed business and made it possible for many enthusiasts to acquire seeds and grow palms that they had never had access to before. I'm very saddened to hear about her passing and my sincere condolescences to her family and to those who were close to her.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I never met her but everyone seems to know her impact on the palm world. I must now be sure to take special care of my cold hardy A. cunninghamiana I got at a NorCal meeting years ago....RIP Inge!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

One of those who I considered at the core of palm world thirty plus years ago. A legend to be sure.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I'm so sorry to hear about my friends passing.

Inge was one of the first people I met when I went to my first palm meetings in the early 90's. She so enthusiastically would describe palms to me, each species became so exciting. I remember her excitement the first time she showed me a small Parajubaea. Her description of it as a large plant was so passionate- her enthusiasm was infectious.

She supplied the palm world seeds through her "Seed Service." She once excitedly told me of the discovery of the "Morrocan Silver Chamaerops." She promised me the seed and some time later I became one of the first to obtain the seeds. Two large plants grace my garden today as do other plants of seed I obtained from her.

She invited my wife and I to her garden in San Leandro many times. We always enjoyed our time there.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

My very first NorCal Palm Society meeting was at the home of Inge and her late husband, Hans. They were always most generous with their time, and plants. Inge was instrumental in the accession of many rare species for Non Nooch Gardens. She was fluent in her native German, English, and Spanish, facilitating her world travels. She visited more than 65 countries.

She visited my garden about 6 months ago and took special delight in her 'Inge babies'. (those palms from her seed distribution)

Inge with her Caryota obtusa/gigas outside her kitchen doorstep

post-31-0-31224400-1376173153_thumb.jpg

San Francisco, California

She super charged the seed bank of the IPS in the old days it was pretty pathetic then all of a sudden with her organization and enthusiasm --- alot of seeds were available in the late 1980's when the IPS shutdown the seedbank in 1990 at the Hawaiin biennial . She formed a private seed service and kept the seeds goaing --- . There 's an article in an old old South african palm journal where she had a zoning fight with either an HOA or some code enforcement agency about some palm and cactus garden whe was starting --- she found a loop hole that excluded churches and actually registered it as a religion and got her garden in code.

I never met her but talked to her a bunch in the 80's and read some of here travel articles it emboldened me enought to travel in Brasil in 1991 and see some of the many Syagrus and Butias .

I salute you Inge and mourn your passing .

Ed

While never having the opportunity to meet her, it always saddens me to hear news of such a passing.

Her story reminds me of a neighbor I crossed paths with who ignited my passions as a plant person when I first started on this path back in High school. While his yard never sported anything truly exotic, his encouragement, sharing of knowledge, and some Iris plants which gained a reputation in the neighborhood, showed me that something like gardening could be quite enjoyable. Was a very sad day when he passed.

When I started out with exotics, King palms were the greatest things id see here and there around town. Years later, id learn about the story of this great woman and her tremendous contributions. Every time I see the large, older king a couple blocks from me, something tells me that this specimen has ties to her. I also believe I have a Inge seedling in my collection.

My greatest hope is that all who have been inspired by her will continue passing it along. Many blessings to her family. A Blue ribbon shall go around my king in tribute.

-Nathan-

I' so sorry to hear her passing. back in the eighty's, I was on her list and bought SO MANY seeds, in those little white cloth bags. Those were my first experiences of getting so many species at the time and always had a smile on my face when I saw her box of seeds in the mail. A very nice lady.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I met Inge at the New Caledonia Biennial. I can still picture her telling of her childhood in war-time Germany and how dangerous it was. RIP Inge.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

John Dransfield and Scott Zona, the editors of our journal PALMS, are interested in receiving an obituary for publication in an upcoming issue. Is there anyone who knew Inge well enough to do this, or maybe you know someone who knew her well enough? Please contact me via a PM. Thanks!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm