IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconuts

empireo22

Planted this little Panama Tall this afternoon.

That's going to look so nice in a few years!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Zeeth, thanks! I am very glad to have a source for these tall coconuts. I have a bunch of dwarfs and they are doing great but I wanted some talls bc they are beautiful. I am also hoping to get a degree or two extra cold tolerance from them. The parent plants are in Merritt Island and amazing looking with the biggest bowl trunk-bases I have ever seen around here. They are all by themselves so I hope they are as similar to mother plant as can be.

Edited by Cocoa Beach Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the coconut palm tree in La Quinta Ca.

post-9726-0-46109800-1434847049_thumb.jp

Just saw it a few minutes ago, so I can say that it hasn't been wacked yet!

Like the one in Palm Desert Ca.post-9726-0-33128200-1434847301_thumb.jp

Here's what it used to look likepost-9726-0-86666900-1434847360_thumb.jp

post-9726-0-96600200-1434847430_thumb.jppost-9726-0-62449500-1434847545_thumb.jp

Sob!

:crying:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I can't believe somebody chopped that coconut down. That is the largest specimen I have ever seen a photo of growing in California! Much bigger than the now rip Newport Beach Cocos.

Regarding the Tall varieties, the best/easiest way I know of to get one is to order Pacific Tall sprouts online from sources like eBay, or look on eBay for Coconuts being sold where the parent tree is pictured and is a probable Tall variety. There had been some auctions selling sprouted nuts from the FL Keys that were likely Jamaican Tall. If you like in Central FL, make a trip to Kopsick. I have two small palms planted out from there, so far.

Is anyone here still trying Cocos in Perth, now Tyrone is down south? I'd love to see what's been achieved.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some around my neighborhood. Indian Harbour Beach, Florida. This is coastal Brevard county about 12 miles south of Cocoa Beach.

6A6F2359-585A-48DC-AF48-1D91DF8858FD_zps

5AA12C20-08A4-4A17-8BA6-C11646F37FD9_zps

DB44FCEB-DBA0-4693-BF0D-C191C7AFB6FA_zps

28410262-BF64-419F-8AAC-31ED3A23DEE1_zps

• Upvote 1

Here are some good pics I got yesterday:

Panama talls:

IMG_4055.jpg

Base of Panama tall:

IMG_4060.jpg

Panama tall by water. I got a coconut from this one:

IMG_4088.jpg

Another shot:

IMG_4123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Nawasi tall:

IMG_4092.jpg

Off-type Fiji dwarf demonstrating tall-type growth habit:

IMG_4129.jpg

Row of Fiji dwarf:

IMG_4130.jpg

Fiji dwarf:

IMG_4133.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Dwarf Red Spicata:

IMG_4134.jpg

Coconuts of Dwarf Red Spicata:

IMG_4136.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Wow! That panama Tall, I know I would also take its coconuts:) The Fiji Dwarfs are equally awesome, the stiff leaves and their width make it clearly distinguishable. So jealous:) Nice pictures

Sweet pics Keith! Where is that at? Did you only collect one coconut?

Thanks! I took the pics at Fairchild while I was there yesterday for the mango festival. I ended up collecting a coconut from the Panama tall by the water and one from the Nawasi tall (that was planted in 1926!), as well as a sprouted Nawasi tall and a Red Spicata. I'll upload some pics later of my collection. :)

Keith 

Sweet pics Keith! Where is that at? Did you only collect one coconut?

Thanks! I took the pics at Fairchild while I was there yesterday for the mango festival. I ended up collecting a coconut from the Panama tall by the water and one from the Nawasi tall (that was planted in 1926!), as well as a sprouted Nawasi tall and a Red Spicata. I'll upload some pics later of my collection. :)

Ohh! Sweet! Sounds exciting.

One day I'll drive a truckload of coconuts out here from Florida. :) that'll excite me!

I was potting up some coconut sprouts from a community pot yesterday when I found this..

post-202-0-35164000-1436728168_thumb.jpg

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I was potting up some coconut sprouts from a community pot yesterday when I found this..

Never see that before...that coconut sprout went into the other coconut!

Here are some pics of my collection. My oldest coconuts don't have trunk yet, but it should look pretty nice in a few years.

Coconuts from Fairchild, Panama tall on left and Nawasi tall on the right:

IMG_4138.jpg

Brand-new sprout from a local coconut:

IMG_4151.jpg

Here's a picture of the parent of the newly sprouted coconut. It's growing in Palmetto not too far from my garden:

IMG_3788.jpg

Base of the local coconut:

IMG_3789.jpg

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Nawasi tall seedling:

IMG_4146.jpg

Jamaican tall seedling from the tallest Jamaican tall on Anna Maria Island:

IMG_4162.jpg

Here's the parent palm. It's hard to depict it's height because the majority of it's trunk is hidden by the Seagrape and the palm itself sits in a low-spot, but it's nearly as tall as the Nawasi tall in person:

IMG_3774.jpg

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Here's a Jamaican tall grown from one of the two at Kopsick. It was damaged by a malfunctioning Christmas light in January that overheated and burned through the palm. The new leaves have come out shorter than they were pre-burn but it's recovering very nicely:

IMG_4153.jpg

Here's what it looked like post-burn :(

IMG_3761.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Here are my two orange petiole Hawaiian tall coconuts. I got these 22 months ago from Gaia-Yoga nursery in Hawaii as "Select tall" types. This was the description: "These are our most-prized drinking nuts. If you want the best-tasting, most-productive coconuts, then these are the sprouts for you! We personally select these coconuts because they're highly productive (20-40 nuts a month, or more), they're very sweet and delicious, and they have a thin husk (which means there's a high percentage of juice in relation to the size of the nut)."

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

Here's my green petiole Hawaiian tall coconut that I got in 2010 as an unsprouted coconut from Garrin in Hawaii. It's actually one year younger than my biggest Jamaican tall but it's a little faster growing (it was bigger than the Jamaican tall even before the JT got damage) The tree that it came from was growing wild near the ocean in Hilo and grows much differently than the orange petiole Hawaiian talls (I suspect that they are two distinct varieties based on a number of factors). It saw 27 F in 2010 without much damage and is never affected by white-fly (which the orange petiole ones need periodic sprays with water to cut down on). Overall this is one of my favorite coconuts in my collection:

IMG_4149.jpg

Here's my Panama tall that came from Dave Romney (the coconut expert). It seems that a high percentage of the Panama talls that he sells have orange petioles, but all of the ones at Fairchild have green petioles (and I expect the coconut I got from there to as well).

IMG_4145.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Here is a Tahiti red dwarf. It's an interesting variety, but hasn't been cold tested in my yard yet. The coconuts from it are really tiny but it has a good color.

IMG_4148.jpg

Here's a dwarf red spicata. I suspect that this variety is actually a spicata variation of the Tahiti red dwarf, as the coconut size, shape and color, as well as the growth habit and color of the tree are identical. Both varieties also have yellow on the newest section of the emergent leaf like is evident in this picture. I will be keeping an eye on the two coconuts to see how similar the varieties actually are outside of the DRS being spicata and the TRD not being spicata.

IMG_4150.jpg

Here is a coconut from one of the big ones at Selby Gardens. The adult tree itself looks like a Panama tall, but the coconuts from it are intermediate between Panama tall and Malayan dwarf (so it's likely a Maypan).

IMG_4155.jpg

Here is a picture of the parent trees:

dscn1837.jpg

• Like 1

Keith 

Here are my two Criollo talls from the Dominican Republic. This variety falls within the Atlantic tall group, but is apparently a little more closely related to the Mexican tall than the Jamaican tall. The DR never had LY like Florida and Jamaica did though, so the Criollo tall population is very healthy.

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

Just for good measure, here is my biggest Beccariophoenix alfredii. I sprouted this from seed in mid-2010:

IMG_4163.jpg

That's my collection!

Keith 

Zeeth amazing collection, that Tahiti red dwarf has an amazing color. I did not know there were Hawaii orange and Panama Tall! Regarding the last picture (post #225) how do you distinguish Panama Tall coconuts from Malayan ones, besides the size they are both round right? :)

The burned Jamaican Tall will hopefully recover I would not be too worried about it.

Do you also have a Fiji Dwarf? The ones in good health look amazing with stiff and wide leaves, they also seem to have more leaves?

Edited by Cluster

Keith, your collection is coming along amazingly! Thank you for the update. I am pleased to see you finally obtained a Nawasi Tall. I will be adding that to my list for my next visit. I just fertilized all of my Cocos as I am just so eager for them to get some size to them. I have two Kopsick seedlings, and intend to go back for more in the next couple months. My Hawaiian Tall, though smaller than yours, looks the same as your green variety, very robust. That Beccariophoenix fooled me at first glance, the most noticeable difference versus Cocos is the petioles. I will post some photos of my collection's progress tomorrow when I can get some daylight photos. My Kopsick Cocos seedling that was in the ground for last winter proved pretty sensistive to 30-31F, even with a garbage can covering it. They are growing out of it nicely, even the one the previous neighbor yanked out and set to the side for a week bare root with lows in the 40s. Keeping the soil hot with a space heater aimed at the pot for 3 months revived it.

Zeeth amazing collection, that Tahiti red dwarf has an amazing color. I did not know there were Hawaii orange and Panama Tall! Regarding the last picture (post #225) how do you distinguish Panama Tall coconuts from Malayan ones, besides the size they are both round right? :)

The burned Jamaican Tall will hopefully recover I would not be too worried about it.

Do you also have a Fiji Dwarf? The ones in good health look amazing with stiff and wide leaves, they also seem to have more leaves?

Thanks! Panama tall coconuts are spherical, whereas the Malayans are a little more elongated (though not as much as a Jamaican tall). It's kind of hard to describe, but once you see them enough times it makes sense.

I do have a Fiji Dwarf actually! The uploader skipped it for some reason, but here it is!

post-3598-0-92958400-1436750533_thumb.jp

Keith 

Keith, your collection is coming along amazingly! Thank you for the update. I am pleased to see you finally obtained a Nawasi Tall. I will be adding that to my list for my next visit. I just fertilized all of my Cocos as I am just so eager for them to get some size to them. I have two Kopsick seedlings, and intend to go back for more in the next couple months. My Hawaiian Tall, though smaller than yours, looks the same as your green variety, very robust. That Beccariophoenix fooled me at first glance, the most noticeable difference versus Cocos is the petioles. I will post some photos of my collection's progress tomorrow when I can get some daylight photos. My Kopsick Cocos seedling that was in the ground for last winter proved pretty sensistive to 30-31F, even with a garbage can covering it. They are growing out of it nicely, even the one the previous neighbor yanked out and set to the side for a week bare root with lows in the 40s. Keeping the soil hot with a space heater aimed at the pot for 3 months revived it.

Thanks! I look forward to the updates on your coconuts. Hopefully your coconuts will be a little hardier once they're a little bigger. I actually sprouted another Jamaican tall from Kopsick two years ago, but it died that winter when the temps got to 32 F. The more mature tree a few feet away was undamaged though, so I think it was the small size that was the problem.

Keith 

Hello William, sometimes it is hard to distinguish both species. In some pictures I have seen the trunk seems to be a bit different and the coconuts have a more spherical crown later on and of course the fruits. How do you distinguish the petioles? I guess it would be easier if I could see one Beccariophoenix in real life for compassion:)

A couple more.

4CB40BB6-73C4-4E19-B43B-C36D9398DE33_zps

4004BBBE-584C-4906-B26B-102A148305C6_zps

The second photo, the owners over trim every year, it's always trying to outgrow the feather duster appearance.

Pulau Maratua, Kalimantan. Some of the tallest coconuts I've ever seen! I think they might have been the wild type.

DSCN2969.jpg/

DSCN2961.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Okay, here is my (so far) humble collection of Cocos growing in the ground in the Orlando area. It is not as impressive as Keith's collection, but I am really hoping these can put on some serious size in the next couple years.

The first is currently my largest, a green Malayan that I have had for 14 years. Until the past year, I had kept it in a larger bonsai pot and applied bonsai techniques to it for many years. Last year, since we moved into a house, I decided it was too big and needed to go in the ground. Here it is between the house and the greenhouse. It looks much more healthy and robust in-person.

Cocos%20green%20malayan%20one.jpg?t=1437

A Panama%20Tall%20Cocos%20Fairchilds%20one

A Panama Tall which sprouted about a month after I collected it at Fairchild's in September 2013. I had already planted it in the ground at my parent's former house and it was taking off. The transplant has set it back some, but I think it is ready for some major growth now. I have stepped up fertilization of all my Cocos recently, to maximize progress while ideal growing conditions exist.

Next up, this seedling came from a large torpedo shaped coconut I found under a large palm right next to the beach in South Beach. It could be a Maypan perhaps? I planted it in a shadier spot, but the growth rate appears to be comparable to my other Cocos.

South%20Beach%20Torpedo%20Coconut%20one.

Jamaican Tall from Kopsick Arboretum. The healthier, larger of the two that I have. It has really picked up speed recently despite some extensive cosmetic cold damage from this past winter.

Cocos%20Kopisck%202a.jpg?t=1437254525

I spotted this very small round coconut which had just fallen onto the sidewalk along one of the streets in South Beach. The parent palm is fairly tall and very skinny, with a modest but healthy sized crown. Looked like a very pure green Malayan variety to me. I should have taken a picture of the palm for reference. Here is the little runt that has resulted. I have high hopes for it though :winkie:

Cocos%20pure%20green%20malayan%20from%20

This is a palm I ordered two years from eBay as a "Jamaican Tall". The second I opened the box, however, I realized it was just a golden/yellow Malayan instead (as some on PalmTalk may remember). So this is my $50 golden Malayan seedling. At least it is doing reasonably well!

Cocos%20golden%20malayan%20Puerto%20Rico

This Cocos sprouted from seed I bought on eBay from the FL Keys about a year and a half ago. The picture of the parent plant looked like a Tall, so I ordered it. But, I really have no idea as to what variety/varieties it could be at this stage. It has bronze/yellow petioles, and could really be anything. Would anybody like to venture a guess?

Cocos%20FL%20Keys%20possible%20Tall%20on