IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconuts

empireo22

David, those talls in Puerto Rico are about as perfectly grown as it gets. Every bit as nice as those in photos of Tahiti and Bora Bora. My Kopsick coconuts have still not sprouted 5 1/2 months later. But I went into it knowing I could be waiting up to a year, so I'm not worried. I pulled them from the sand last week to check for germination and I can still hear the coconut water inside. I may be waiting at least several more months. There is a large coconut (25'-30') at a restaurant/bar on I Drive near Orlando. I don't know how long it has been there, but I will upload a photo later.

Thanks for the comment. Yes the coconuts in Puerto Rico are very exceptional. I was like wow the whole time. I would like to see your photo of the one in Orlando.

Here is another tall Coconut probably a Jamaican Tall Coconut near Pahokee, Fl on the south eastern shores of Lake Okeechobee. Taken December 2013.2014-01-03081907-2.jpg

Here is another tall Coconut probably a Jamaican Tall Coconut near Pahokee, Fl on the south eastern shores of Lake Okeechobee. Taken December 2013.2014-01-03081907-2.jpg

Awesome!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

IDriveCocos1.jpg

Sorry for the dark photo. The palm looks much better in person and the crown is totally green. I would bet it was planted in the last 3 years as I think I would have noticed it before. There were a couple of royals planted in the adjacent parking area, but based on my experience with them, I find this less and less surprising here in the Orlando area. There is a hotel just south of the Orange County Convention Center that has been landscaped with mature royals and a few coconuts for at least 11 years (first saw them summer of 2003). All but one of the coconuts has died since then, but the one still there survived 2010. It is quite remarkable really. The palms at said hotel have been discussed on here a number of times over the past decade. I also know of one small adonidia that survived 2010 unprotected. I have no idea how, it isn't even cared for. That palm is about 4 feet tall and is growing in Maitland, a northern suburb of Orlando.

I would wager that this coconut will survive for many, many years as I don't see it freezing in this location. The urban heat island will protect it.

Edited by palmsOrl

IDriveCocos1.jpg

Sorry for the dark photo. The palm looks much better in person and the crown is totally green. I would bet it was planted in the last 3 years as I think I would have noticed it before. There were a couple of royals planted in the adjacent parking area, but based on my experience with them, I find this less and less surprising here in the Orlando area. There is a hotel just south of the Orange County Convention Center that has been landscaped with mature royals and a few coconuts for at least 11 years (first saw them summer of 2003). All but one of the coconuts has died since then, but the one still there survived 2010. It is quite remarkable really. The palms at said hotel have been discussed on here a number of times over the past decade. I also know of one small adonidia that survived 2010 unprotected. I have no idea how, it isn't even cared for. That palm is about 4 feet tall and is growing in Maitland, a northern suburb of Orlando.

I would wager that this coconut will survive for many, many years as I don't see it freezing in this location. The urban heat island will protect it.

Looks like this palm

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29234-more-i-drive-restaurant-palms/

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here's one I saw the other day...has a good crop for this far south (28 deg)

post-42-0-73298600-1392039985_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

IDriveCocos1.jpg

Looks like this palm

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/29234-more-i-drive-restaurant-palms/

Yep, that's the one! I guess I missed that thread (or just forgot). For better pics of said palm, view that thread. I didn't realize when I took them that all my photos were so dark. I wonder if the palms were there for 2010?

IDriveCocos1.jpg

Looks like this palm

Yep, that's the one! I guess I missed that thread (or just forgot). For better pics of said palm, view that thread. I didn't realize when I took them that all my photos were so dark. I wonder if the palms were there for 2010?

The other thread mentioned that these palms were there in 2010 including the Christmas Palm, They actually thrive around here, that year was just too cold for way too long.

I like viewing pics of these in places we don't always see them, or where most palm enthusiasts wouldn't expect them to grow well...

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Boy, and this is the size where we in The Netherlands have to be satisfied with! :rant: This one is two years old and is grown as a hydroplant.

post-5270-0-30833200-1392314760_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Boy, and this is the size where we in The Netherlands have to be satisfied with! :rant: This one is two years old and is grown as a hydroplant.

Cool, your going to need to add a second story there soon.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

In Palm Beach, next to Whitehall (Flagler Museum), Henry Flagler's old mansion

100_5082.jpg

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wish I could even get one that big! (or to at least germinate!)

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Winter 2013

Frank, that one looks great !

I noticed 2 younger but trunked Coconut Palms planted at Boardwalk Burgers across from Fashion Square Mall. They have some minor leaf burn. They are on the SE side of the building but in an open location.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Jupiter Island and lighthouse, I like the second one as those tall palms over the rest of the canopy on the island. In the first one that wild coconut is totally in salt water at high tide and seems to be fine.

post-202-0-98490300-1392332524_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-63580400-1392332540_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-66458500-1392332561_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-66964700-1392332577_thumb.jpg

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

These are at Squidlips restaurant in Melbourne, Fl (Eau Gallie area) right before the causeway on the mainland, these are very tall.

VbnKhdo.jpgIBxSUBB.jpg

Malabar, Florida. Zone 10a, East Central Florida.

Jupiter Island and lighthouse, I like the second one as those tall palms over the rest of the canopy on the island. In the first one that wild coconut is totally in salt water at high tide and seems to be fine.

I think I have a photo of that same coconut in the first photo from the top of the lighthouse. I'll try to find it !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

No, it wasn't the same one. I did take this photo from the Jupiter lighthouse

101_1653.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

101_1653.jpg

This one is further to the left of my picture, not in the frame, by the little white building. The one I posted drinks straight salt water at every high tide.

Jupiter FL

I will look for it next time we are down there. We go to the Square Grouper across the river from the lighthouse.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Sirinhaém, Northeast Brazil

post-157-0-00086500-1392409638_thumb.jpg

post-157-0-93651000-1392409735_thumb.jpg

post-157-0-62521500-1392409784_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

101_1653.jpg

This palm is a good example to the everybody on Palmtalk of the typical appearance of a coconut in central FL (in areas where they survive at all). These tend to look a bit tattered and have a yellowish cast from the cooler winters. I've seen many that look very healthy, but specimens like this are more common. Our Cocos may not look like those in the deep tropics, but they are still worth the effort.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I would like to ask, I am actually on vacation on Fiji, there are many coconuts on the ground but I don't know if they are mature or not.

post-7672-0-77539200-1394798657_thumb.jp

Hi, I would like to ask, I am actually on vacation on Fiji, there are many coconuts on the ground but I don't know if they are mature or not.

If they are brown and you hear water splashing inside then they are good to germinate.

post-42-0-74215400-1394924654_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

No...I wish it were!

Thailand...

Here is one from down the end of the street near my place...noticed today that it is just starting to flower...this is growing in concrete with no care or water...go figure!

post-42-0-50544200-1394945668_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Here is one from down the end of the street near my place...noticed today that it is just starting to flower...

Daryl

Here is one from down the end of the street near my place...noticed today that it is just starting to flower...

Daryl