IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconuts

empireo22

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

cold protection.  The propane heater is to the left.

Oh, okay.  How often each winter do you use it, and at what temp threshold?

On 2/11/2022 at 9:09 PM, pj_orlando_z9b said:

cold protection.  The propane heater is to the left.

Is this heater effective for a plant that size?

• Like 1

previously known as ego

Jamaican Talls in Indialantic, FL. These have  been  around for at least 25 years. 

20220313_191808.jpg

• Like 6

On 2/11/2022 at 2:05 PM, ego said:

Forgive my ignorance. What do you mean by grow organically and how does this add to their hardiness?

I mean not using any synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides.  Using only all natural, organic fertilizers, all natural organic pesticides, and all natural organic herbicides (or just pull weeds by hand the old fashioned way like I do).  By going All Organic and no longer using the harmful synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, you can actually increase the cold hardiness of your tropical trees and plants (including palms) by as much as 2F to 3F, and in the case of some species, by as much as 4F or even 5F.  Also, you strengthen your trees and plants against drought, use 40% to 50% less water over time, and have healthier, more nutritious fruits and vegetables.

John

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 11:51 PM, Zeeth said:

I'm in Honolulu at the moment and there are plenty of coconuts. Here are some of the highlights so far though:

One of the biggest Niu Leka (Fiji/Samoa Dwarf) coconuts I've seen:

273534285_4945942698786722_5688885749406422503_n.thumb.jpg.a8b09d6022517a8e8d8cd59a1e9b3466.jpg

Coconuts near Diamond Head Beach Park:

F2B4924A-6A38-4F64-8945-3A5CB1798DE5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.edcc99f9f6b55e54e8ded0250df63ea9.jpeg

Some nice full crowned coconuts on the windward coast:

coco.thumb.jpeg.5679926d5450f0d430579b056ad1fb53.jpeg

Coconut on the trail to Manoa Falls:

coco2.thumb.jpeg.5db8a1cf6f97a5f787133278e2022eab.jpeg

Coconuts at Lyon Arboretum:

coco3.thumb.jpeg.5c540dfa60549d98e586c3b1374f6bc5.jpeg

Gorgeous!!!  Coconut Palm Paradise!!!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:14 AM, ego said:

Interesting. What if I combine both organic and synthetic fertilizers? 

I would not combine the two.  Synthetic fertilizers, sterilize the soil over time, killing a lot of the beneficial microbes that soil needs to be healthy.  When you have healthy soil, you have healthy trees, shrubs, and plants that can better withstand pest and disease problems, droughts, freezes, and storms.  Also, synthetic fertilizers add sodium to the soil, thereby drying it out, and causing increased watering needs.  Also, when you only use organic fertilizers, you have more beneficial insects, lizards, toads, etc., and more bees and pollinators, so it is much better and healthier for us and for the environment to only use all organic natural fertilzers.

John

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, Alicante said:

These are some of the Coconuts from Puerto de La Cruz in Tenerife. Canary Islands, Spain. Latitude above 28.40N or 28º 25' N.

g_vigoenfotos_6944r.jpg

38400_Puerto_de_la_Cruz,_Santa_Cruz_de_T

aQhzbZP.png

PU2fnAD.jpeg

n3qNjTP.png

TRX12dT.png

piscina-de-agua-de-mar-del-lago-martiane

playa-playa-jardin-con-el-monte-teide-en

They also have a "Howea Jungle" in some kind of Natural Park with birds that's named Loro Parque, translated that's called Parrot's Park. 

palmeras-en-loro-parque-espa%C3%B1a-tene

PyECRue.jpeg

How do the Coconut Palms and other palms do so well there when it is such an extremely dry climate?  Do they get a lot of supplemental watering?  I wonder what the annual average rainfall is in those coastal areas that have lots of tall mature Coconut Palms?

John

On 2/21/2022 at 5:59 PM, cbraunig said:

I wanted to share this beautiful tree near the southernmost point in Key West this past weekend. 

76DDD661-421C-4E77-A77A-4EDBF6248742.jpeg

Looks like a nice healthy Jamaican Tall.

2 hours ago, Hurricanepalms said:

Jamaican Talls in Indialantic, FL. These have  been  around for at least 25 years. 

20220313_191808.jpg

Really nice!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ego said:

Is this heater effective for a plant that size?

Trunk, yes. It was 75-85, which may be too warm actually. Not so much the canopy. My desire is hot air rises.  It was breezy otherwise it could have raised the air a few degrees. 

12 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

How do the Coconut Palms and other palms do so well there when it is such an extremely dry climate?  Do they get a lot of supplemental watering?  I wonder what the annual average rainfall is in those coastal areas that have lots of tall mature Coconut Palms?

John

Yes, of course they do water them a lot, in fact some public ones have died in different islands/cities because they got neglected by the local governments. If they stop watering them, they die, as the Canary Islands have desertic or semiarid climates in their coastal areas, for example, the enormous Lanzarote coconuts I've shown on the last page (not the post you're quoting me) are in a place that gets about 100mm of rain per year, that's under 4 inches for an entire year, so yes, you can imagine what happens without irrigation. 

The ones from the last pics I've posted above are located in Puerto de La Cruz, on the last 2018 Köppen map "readjustment" made by Nature Scientific Data that area enters inside the Tropical Aw Köppen climate zone which is tropical wet and dry / savanna climate. The rain there is around 400mm (16 in) per year, they still need summer irrigation. 

As you can see on the first 2 pics, the mountains from Puerto de La Cruz are somewhat lushy, it doesn't look like Mars like Lanzarote does, as shown in the 3rd pic! :lol:

87753180-58f0-11e8-982b-0242ac11000d.jpg

Puerto+de+la+cruz+al+fondo+el+Teide+aere

parque-nacional-timanfaya.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

12 hours ago, Alicante said:

Yes, of course they do water them a lot, in fact some public ones have died in different islands/cities because they got neglected by the local governments. If they stop watering them, they die, as the Canary Islands have desertic or semiarid climates in their coastal areas, for example, the enormous Lanzarote coconuts I've shown on the last page (not the post you're quoting me) are in a place that gets about 100mm of rain per year, that's under 4 inches for an entire year, so yes, you can imagine what happens without irrigation. 

The ones from the last pics I've posted above are located in Puerto de La Cruz, on the last 2018 Köppen map "readjustment" made by Nature Scientific Data that area enters inside the Tropical Aw Köppen climate zone which is tropical wet and dry / savanna climate. The rain there is around 400mm (16 in) per year, they still need summer irrigation. 

As you can see on the first 2 pics, the mountains from Puerto de La Cruz are somewhat lushy, it doesn't look like Mars like Lanzarote does, as shown in the 3rd pic! :lol:

What is that little demon/monster looking thing in the lower right side of the last pic?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

What is that little demon/monster looking thing in the lower right side of the last pic?

It's the welcoming sign to the Timanfaya National Park. That place apart from being desertic is also very volcanic, the soil being black or Mars red in some places because of this same reason. 

They also have some beautiful natural geisers in small holes that come exactly from the ground. That's why it's represented as a small demon since that is caused by the lava!

parque-nacional-de-timanfaya-Lanzarote-H

Parque-Nacional-del-Timanfaya-Lanzarote.

• Like 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

Is there any other Nawasi talls to go see if I can get a coconut from in Florida other than the one at Fairchild? 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:51 AM, Zeeth said:

One of the biggest Niu Leka (Fiji/Samoa Dwarf) coconuts I've seen:

273534285_4945942698786722_5688885749406422503_n.thumb.jpg.a8b09d6022517a8e8d8cd59a1e9b3466.jpg

The leaves on this one are so pretty

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnStraz said:

1248189027_manyheadedcoconut.thumb.jpg.5f1254c056261501151655af39beb9fb.jpgtuvalu

Where is this located. 

• Like 1

Lucas

22 hours ago, JohnStraz said:

1248189027_manyheadedcoconut.thumb.jpg.5f1254c056261501151655af39beb9fb.jpgtuvalu

Full Monty shot?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

How bout a few more coconut palm photos….

The first one is section of a friends garden south of Hilo, a massive place.

Next one is on leeward Oahu, a beautiful spot.

Tim

9188549C-C921-4802-9A41-923914959101.jpeg

7FA48A39-25BC-4C1B-B9F4-F4C9F94A7A80.jpeg

• Like 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are the latest pictures of my coconuts here in Port Macquarie NSW Australia. Not aware of any other coconuts south of here still alive and healthy. Would like to be proven wrong though.

Cheers 

Mike 

IMG_20220326_161922.jpg

IMG_20220326_161904.jpg

IMG_20220326_161632.jpg

IMG_20220326_161823.jpg

IMG_20220326_161646.jpg

• Like 3

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

6 hours ago, The Palm Nut said:

Here are the latest pictures of my coconuts here in Port Macquarie NSW Australia. Not aware of any other coconuts south of here still alive and healthy. Would like to be proven wrong though.

Cheers 

Mike 

IMG_20220326_161922.jpg

IMG_20220326_161904.jpg

IMG_20220326_161632.jpg

IMG_20220326_161823.jpg

IMG_20220326_161646.jpg

All looking very nice! Do you think they will fruit successfully here?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, Alicante said:

I didn't know they readjusted the climate classification of the area to an Aw climate zone.  If so, southern coastal areas of Madeira island should also get that classification. Do you happen to have a source or a link? I would love to see this readjusted Köppen classification.

Also, I always thought that 400 mm per year would automatically mean a BSh climate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 7:09 PM, Coconutman said:

Curiously on Google streetview and saw some Coconuts in El Golfo de Santa Clara, Sonora Mexico.

https://goo.gl/maps/sYJgxqFPBLvAHLds5

1.PNG

They must get a LOT of supplemental water to be looking that good in a very dry desert climate like that, and I can't imagine how people in such a poor neighborhood as that could give them that much supplemental water, when water for their own drinking, bathing, and washing needs would probably be very scarce in such an area.

John 

Ok, here it goes for another 'crazy' California palm person. I am attempting to grow cocos with the full knowledge that this experiment is destined for failure. With that being said, I would like to rattle of a list of micro  - nano climate improvements I am making, will make and have made or already existed to my tiny coco growing zone in East Bay California.  I also have a somewhat serious question about rerouting an existing source of heat that my house generates regular (washer/dryer ventilation to outside) to an underground rain gutter that is downhill that runs past the root zone of my cocos (see white 5-6 inch rain drainage just right of non-sprouted coco). Can this be done so my dryer vent air doesn't escape to the atmosphere immediately after leaving my house (current setup) but rather is sent into the rain drainage pipe that runs past coco root zone? This would be a regular heat source that would enter the root zone of the cocos year round? Just a crazy thought. Anywhose, hope everyone enjoys the day and best of growing luck.  

Coco planting area:

south facing

protected on north and east by hillside and large trees and house

existing fence is east and I plan to use that to build a small cold frame this fall/winter to enclose the cocos with a simple greenhouse and hanging market lights for heat source

large concrete stairs to absorb heat and lots of gravel underneath for drainage

10+ gallons of original rocky/clay soil removed and replaced with pure Cali sand

black lava rock layed on top of sand as ground cover for heat capture

neighbor gave me unused large insulation sheets 8'x4' at 1.5 inch thickness I plan to line the inside of the fence with to trap heat

middle coco is the largest coming from a purchased 5 gallon nearby (unknown variety)

back coco was mail ordered while sprouted but no root development ('green' variety) but I have since seen a root develop!

front coco unsprouted mail order ('yellow' variety) 

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

Edited by Jadd Correia
  • Like 1

Spear opening up before its time. 

IMG_20220702_231341_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

5 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Spear opening up before its time. 

IMG_20220702_231341_1_copy_1125x2000.jpg

Hmmm.  I wonder why?  Have all the spears on your other palms opened up just fine?

John

9 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hmmm.  I wonder why?  Have all the spears on your other palms opened up just fine?

John

jawohl John.  This one is opening up prematurely.  Don't know why. I'm keeping an eye on it. 

Alex

• Like 1

Not the nicest, but, knew if i looked around long enough, i'd find a couple in the area..  Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more tucked away in other parts of the city not street mapped..  Massive Plumeria ( pink- flowered rubra cultivars, and P. obtusa ) in neighborhoods / along the Hwy 13 near the city's center as well. 

Anyway,

Coconuts in Alamos, Sonora ( Mexico ) on the grounds of Casa De Las Delicias ( located south east of the Centro District of Alamos ). Approx. elevation 1224ft ASL Image is supposedly from last September.  Tough to get any closer since the image is one of a few pin drops on the grounds.  Can see a few fronds of one hidden on the left by the Eucalyptus in the center of the picture.

1566759875_1226191737133.jpg.bbabbb9b9a5db04d6962de83424152e6.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 10:07 PM, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

They must get a LOT of supplemental water to be looking that good in a very dry desert climate like that, and I can't imagine how people in such a poor neighborhood as that could give them that much supplemental water, when water for their own drinking, bathing, and washing needs would probably be very scarce in such an area.

John 

I’m willing to bet that Coconut Palm’s roots broke though to the septic system which is very common to have in rural areas and it has all the water and fertilizer needed!  Hot Sunny days year round with a minimum about 40 degrees and you got a nice microclimate for that Beauty 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrigjef said:

I’m willing to bet that Coconut Palm’s roots broke though to the septic system which is very common to have in rural areas and it has all the water and fertilizer needed!  Hot Sunny days year round with a minimum about 40 degrees and you got a nice microclimate for that Beauty 

Yeah, you're probably right, and it is probably the same with the nice looking one in the left background of the pic also.

John

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Not the nicest, but, knew if i looked around long enough, i'd find a couple in the area..  Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more tucked away in other parts of the city not street mapped..  Massive Plumeria ( pink- flowered rubra cultivars, and P. obtusa ) in neighborhoods / along the Hwy 13 near the city's center as well. 

Anyway,

Coconuts in Alamos, Sonora ( Mexico ) on the grounds of Casa De Las Delicias ( located south east of the Centro District of Alamos ). Approx. elevation 1224ft ASL Image is supposedly from last September.  Tough to get any closer since the image is one of a few pin drops on the grounds.  Can see a few fronds of one hidden on the left by the Eucalyptus in the center of the picture.

1566759875_1226191737133.jpg.bbabbb9b9a5db04d6962de83424152e6.jpg

Wow, almost the exact same latitude as where I live, and look at how TALL those Coconut Palms are there!!!  We could only dream of growing them 1/3 that size here on the immediate coast where I live, and even in the RGV to my south, they could only dream of growing them half that size, and that part of Mexico is well inland.  Go figure.  I guess the mountain range to their northeast totally protects them from any Arctic fronts.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my few In central Florida. I've got a Fiji dwarf and a Red Spicata and this Saturday I'm getting a Jamaican Tall or Panama tall im undecided on what one of those to get. 

20220720_190121.jpg

Screenshot_20220718-101703_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Plantking165
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Few weeks ago these are some coconut plams in naples Florida when I had visited for the day.

20220723_091725.jpg

20220723_091727.jpg

20220723_091729.jpg

20220723_091734.jpg

20220723_091737.jpg

20220723_091739.jpg

20220723_091743.jpg

20220723_091751.jpg

20220723_091800.jpg

20220723_091802.jpg

20220723_130241.jpg

20220723_130242.jpg

20220723_144749.jpg

20220723_144800.jpg

20220723_145324.jpg

20220723_145217.jpg

20220723_145213.jpg

20220723_145337.jpg

20220723_145339.jpg

20220723_145346.jpg

20220723_145456.jpg

20220723_145459.jpg

20220723_154946.jpg

20220723_154948.jpg

20220723_154953.jpg

20220723_154956.jpg

20220723_155000.jpg

20220723_155310.jpg

20220723_160110.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blueman said:

Did you visit Calusa Palms while you were in Naples?  

Ofc I did can't spend tbe day at the beach without an appointment to pick up another coconut. Got my fiji dwarf, red spicata and my Panama tall from him. Some of the pics there are of his palms I took pics of his red spicatas fijis and Panamas

• Like 1