IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your ugliest cool palm garden view

_Keith

I would think this applies to many a PalmTalker's Garden. It certainly applies to mind.

post-1207-0-22317600-1375397937_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Mine is certainly in that latter category as well. But, it's getting better.

Design is part of the reason for thinning my herd a bit.

(Hmm. I'll bet whoopee among the Hippos is very memorable for all concerned, including onlookers. :bemused: )

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

In both of our "yards", we clearly specialize in "where can we put this neat plant" rather than "what plant would be best for this spot." Of course we try to place the plant where it will grow the best and be showcased by other plants to their mutual advantage.

It's interesting that we enjoyed turning our normal suburban Virginia backyard into a bit of a jungle. Then we bought a jungle and are trying to tame it- at least enough to make more paths so we can border the paths with more plants.

We do enjoy viewing and visiting those gorgeous manicured gardens, but clearly will never own one..

Good thing we never plan to try to earn a living as landscapers.

Cindy Adair

I've always identified my landscape style as "scatterscape". I learned that in college.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Tall plants in the corners. Frame the house with tall plants. Frame the entrance with taller plants. The plants should dip down under the windows.D And you want to use a lot of repetition. Repetition of the same plant looks good...

Do we follow any of those rules? I try to vaguely follow the rules and put the palms that will grow the tallest in the corners. My repetition is not so great, but like MattyB points out you can always do a grouping of three plants -- each of the same genus, but of different species -- and only a plant nut will quickly see the differences. Like Beccariophoenix alfredii, Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, and Beccariophoenix "windows", and only a plant nut would notice the differences.

Tall plants in the corners. Frame the house with tall plants. Frame the entrance with taller plants. The plants should dip down under the windows.D And you want to use a lot of repetition. Repetition of the same plant looks good...

Do we follow any of those rules? I try to vaguely follow the rules and put the palms that will grow the tallest in the corners. My repetition is not so great, but like MattyB points out you can always do a grouping of three plants -- each of the same genus, but of different species -- and only a plant nut will quickly see the differences. Like Beccariophoenix alfredii, Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, and Beccariophoenix "windows", and only a plant nut would notice the differences.

I am so glad Keith started this thread, my garden is definitely a horticultural garden, but I have to say, it's really tough to actually mess up with palms and make it look ugly. I actually don't see how that's even possible unless you decide to just plant a bunch of washies, queens and CDIPs.

I do believe in repetition, especially when it comes to rare palms. I always plant several of the same. In fact, I have 8 p. cocoides, 5 p. sunkha, a half a dozen p. torallyi, 5 kentiopsis oliviformis, a half a dozen brahea armata, etc... When I find a palm I really like, I like to get several of them. I think just one of each isn't so great. Even on the bizzies I've got 6 of them in the ground.

My horticultural interests do get seriously curbed when I discover the reality of growing a specific plant. For example, there was a time when I collected passiflora. But after a massive rat infestation, a couple of pissed off neighbors, dying trees and a garden that looked like crap, I decided to call it quits on the vines.

In fact, one of the reasons I am so interested in palms is because they're pretty low maintenance once they get going. Out of all of the horticultural interests I've had over the years, only the palms provide endless visual pleasure in exchange for just water and fertilizer and an occasional leaf pruning. And then many of them provide edible fruit. pretty dynamite if you ask me.

The other thing I like is that a palm garden is the layer cake effect: when the first generation of palms get big, suddenly there's a bunch of room below for more palms and other undergrowth that looks pretty neat. I just cleaned up under a clump of rhopies and p. cocoides that are starting to trunk, and lo and behold, there's a bunch of room for new stuff.

I don't have much yard space but i'm going to make

the best of it with large planters and just enough space for a small, very small, well manicured lawn. I would love to plant small groves but to be able to get the most species in the ground I need to compromise. Like Axel said, I'm planting all the quicker growing tall ones first (from 15g) for canopy and once they start trunking I can start planting underneath

I tend to go for the "landscaped" garden with a few "experiments" thrown in.

I also move plants a lot; always looking for the best fit.

:bemused: ........nice pictures.........

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Interesting! But I don't see why a "horticultural garden" can't also be a nicely landscaped garden. Attempting to bring the two concepts together is what makes it all that much more interesting...and hopefully with pleasant results. :) I almost said "end result", but of course - with a garden there's no such thing as an "end result" - which makes it even more interesting!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Interesting! But I don't see why a "horticultural garden" can't also be a nicely landscaped garden. Attempting to bring the two concepts together is what makes it all that much more interesting...and hopefully with pleasant results. :) I almost said "end result", but of course - with a garden there's no such thing as an "end result" - which makes it even more interesting!

this is exactly what I was thinking... Landscape is more appearance and horticultural is more function. there is no reason that you can't combine them. In my yard, every palm is placed with a mind to its cultural requirements first, sun, soil, winter protection. I am not a big fan of hardscape, its expensive and I'd rather spend the money on palms. I do have a raised bed that is heavily amended and designed for my wet loving palms, and the multi level look allows for a better display of the palms. I also have palms that don't like being too wet and they are not placed anywhere near the wet loving ones. From what I have seen in my area, landscapers don't have a clue as to the cultural requirements of many palms and they place them for look alone. My ideal garden will not hide palm species, they will be visible for display from some view point. I may change my mind when I run out of space, but I have a ways to go there...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I grew up in Naples, Florida where is seems that everyone is obliged to have perfectly kept landscaping. Here, in Guatemala, is seems that as hard as I try I always fail miserably preferring a wilder "natural" look. Here is an ugly cool pic of the entrance to my garden where I spend hours on end.

post-2997-0-62867700-1375466230_thumb.jp

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Peter, that is so beautiful! Who wouldn't want to walk down that path, pausing every few steps to admire yet another perspective. Wow! Proof that horticulture and landscaping are not mutually exclusive. :)

I should add, after visiting many, many palm gardens, the "unlandscaped horticultural garden" (or "hectic jumble") is the rare exception. Most palm gardens I've visited have been very attractive, and each with an individual personality, no two alike.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I grew up in Naples, Florida where is seems that everyone is obliged to have perfectly kept landscaping. Here, in Guatemala, is seems that as hard as I try I always fail miserably preferring a wilder "natural" look. Here is an ugly cool pic of the entrance to my garden where I spend hours on end.

attachicon.gifP1110932.JPG

Peter

I can only hope that my garden looks even close to that good

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/413.html

The Principles of Landscape Design

• Unity should be one of your main goals in your design. It may be better understood and applied asconsistency and repetition. Repetition creates unity by repeating alike elements like plants, plant groups, or decor throughout the landscape. Consistency creates unity in the sense that some or all of the different elements of the landscape fit together to create a whole.

Unity can be achieved by the consistency of character of elements in the design. By character, I mean the height, size, texture, color schemes, etc. of different elements.

A good example would be in the use of landscaping rocks and accent boulders. If you've ever seen a landscape design that had one large white round boulder here and another large red square granite boulder there and so on, then you've seen that unity wasn't created by this particular element.

This is just one example but the principle applies to all other elements such as groups of plants and materials.

A simple way to create unity in your landscape is by creating themes. And one of the simplest ways to create themes is by using a little garden decor. Creating a theme garden is easier when it's related to something you're interested in or have a passion for.

If you're into butterflies for instance, you could create a theme using plants that attract butterflies as well as using statues, ornaments, and other decor that are related to butterflies.

Unity should be expressed through at least one element in your landscape and preferably more. Using elements to express a main idea through consistent style and a specific theme is what creates harmony.

• Simplicity is actually one of the principles in design and art. It's one of the best guidelines you can follow as a beginner or do it yourselfer. Just keep things simple to begin with. You can do more later.

Simplicity in planting, for instance, would be to pick two or three colors and repeat them throughout the garden or landscape. Keeping decor to a minimum and within a specific theme as well as keeping hardscapes such as boulders consistent is also practicing simplicity.

• Balance in design is just as the word implies. A sense of equality. There are basically two types of balance in landscape design. Symmetrical and Asymmetrical.

Symmetrical balance is where there are more or less equally spaced matching elements of the garden design. With a garden equally divided, both sides could share all or part of the same shape, form, plant height, plant groupings, colors, bed shapes, theme, etc.

You may remember creating something like this when you were a kid in art class at school. Where you take a piece of paper, splash paint on it, fold it in half, unfold it, and then it magically creates an interesting symmetrical design. So symmetrical balance or design is somewhat of a mirror image or reflection.

Asymmetrical balance on the other hand is one of the principles of landscape design that's a little more complex. While textures, forms, colors, etc. may remain constant to create some unity, shapes and hardscapes may be more random. This form of balance often has separate or different themes with each having an equal but different type of attraction.

Asymmetrical may be better understood as actually being unbalanced, abstract, or free form while still creating unity and balance through the repetition of some elements.

A good example of this would be where bed shapes or paths differ on both sides of the landscape dividing line while still sharing some of the same elements and plants. One side could be curved with a sense of flow while the other side is straight, direct, hard, and completely opposite. Again, unity and balance will be created through other elements.

Contrast can be very interesting and this type of form can create a neat contrast. Flowing lines are pleasing to the eye but the bold contrast of a curve combined with a straight line can be very interesting.

Asymmetrical balance isn't dependant on the shape of your garden. It can be but generally it's not.

An example might be where one side of the garden is mostly large shade trees while the other side is predominately a lower growing flower garden or even a mix of both examples. Like I stated earlier, the landscaping can be abstract while still maintaining unity through other elements such as rocks, plants, and decor.

Contrast and harmony can also be achieved using plants. Fine foliage verses coarser foliage, round leaves verses spiked leaves as well as color compliments and contrasts.

Plant height, color, and texture may be varied from one area to the next but each area should stay consistent within its own theme.

You'll hear me talk about "themes" a lot. Many successful do-it-yourself designs follow a basic theme to achieve most of the principles of landscape design described on this page. The proper use of plants(see plant selection)or garden decor or a mix of both is a simple way to achieve themes.

• Color adds the dimension of real life and interest to the landscape. Bright colors like reds, yellows and oranges seem to advance toward you and can actually make an object seem closer to you. Cool colors like greens, blues, and pastels seem to move away from you and can make an object seem farther from you.

Grays, blacks, and whites are considered neutral colors and are best used in the background with bright colors in the foreground. However, to increase depth in a landscape, you can use dark and coarse textured plants in the foreground and use fine textured and light colored plants in the background.

Colors can also be used to direct your attention to a specific area of the garden. A bright display among cooler colors would naturally catch the eye.

• Natural transition can be applied to avoid radical or abrupt changes in your landscape design. Transition is basically gradual change. It can best be illustrated in terms of plant height or color but can also be applied to all elements in the landscape including but not limited to textures, foliage shape or size, and the size and shape of different elements. In other words, transition can be achieved by the gradual, ascending or descending, arrangement of different elements with varying textures, forms, colors, or sizes.

An example of a good transition would be a stair step effect from large trees to medium trees to shrubs to bedding plants. This example is where a little knowledge of proper plant selection would come in handy. Click here for choosing the right plant selection .

Transition is one of the principles of landscape design that can be used to "create illusions" in the landscape. For example a transition from taller to shorter plants can give a sense of depth and distance (like in a painting), making the garden seem larger than it really is. A transition from shorter to taller plants could be used to frame a focal point to make it stand out and seem closer than it really is.

• Line is of the more structural principles of landscape design. It can mostly be related to the way beds, walkways, and entryways move and flow.

Straight lines are forceful and direct while curvy lines have a more natural, gentle, flowing effect.

• Proportion simply refers to the size of elements in relation to each other. Of all the principles of landscape design, this one is quite obvious but still requires a little thought and planning. Most of the elements in landscape design can be intentionally planned to meet the proper proportions.

For instance if you are creating a small courtyard garden, an enormous seven foot garden statue placed in the center would be way out of proportion and a little tacky to say the least. Or a small four foot waterfall and pond placed in the center of a large open yard would get lost in the expanse.

Don't misunderstand this to mean that if you have a large yard you can't have smaller features or garden decor. Proportion is relative and elements can be scaled to fit by creating different rooms in the garden. The goal is to create a pleasing relationship among the three dimensions of length, breadth, and depth or height.

A small water feature can be proportionate if placed in a corner or on the edge of a large area and becomes a focal point of the larger area while creating its own distinct atmosphere. An entire room, sitting area, or theme can be created around it. Other rooms and themes can be created as well. Seesmall gardens for ideas on creating rooms and creating illusions.

Also, special consideration and study should be given to proper plant selection to avoid using plants that are out of proportion.

• Repetition is directly related to unity. Its good to have a variety of elements and forms in the garden but repeating these elements gives variety expression.

Unity is achieved by repeating objects or elements that are alike. Too many unrelated objects can make the garden look cluttered and unplanned.

There's a fine line here. It's possible that too much of one element can make a garden or landscape feel uninteresting, boring and monotonous.

However, unity can still be created by using several different elements repeatedly. This in turn keeps the garden interesting.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Won't find this in any garden design book, but it is beautiful to me.

post-1207-0-17208500-1375485524_thumb.jp

I really love my Butia microspadix bed, but I've seen a few disapproving eyes from visitors (not palm folks)

post-465-0-20110700-1375486909_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Add some sun and it all looks good.

Would that be add some sun, or subtract some sun.

Keith, the pickup tailgate is a nice touch! ;) j/k You've got quite a garden, as seen on FB. Lots of views and vignettes, and a great front porch scene, if I remember correctly.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Alberto -- that's what I mean by personality. Your garden is very different from Peter's but it has great sculptural qualities and bravura with the contrast and boldness. There is no single formula -- and we can all be grateful for that.

Kim Cyr

Keith, the pickup tailgate is a nice touch! ;) j/k You've got quite a garden, as seen on FB. Lots of views and vignettes, and a great front porch scene, if I remember correctly.

Kim, you are on to me. But a neighbor once called my garden a "monstrosity." I laughed and laughed.

Hi Kim, thank you for your words. That is a beautiful path to walk along and right now the frangipani and ylang-ylang are in bloom so it smells even better than it looks! You are right about the garden's personality, I have a friend whose amazing garden is right up the beach and completely different than mine. Viva la diferencia!

Kenny, Thank you, time makes everything look better.

Keith anyone who appreciates gardens and plants, landscaper or horticulturist, will love your garden. But as long as you think it's beautiful that's all that matters.

Alberto, great Butias but that maguey knocks my socks off!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Alberto -- that's what I mean by personality. Your garden is very different from Peter's but it has great sculptural qualities and bravura with the contrast and boldness. There is no single formula -- and we can all be grateful for that.

Thank you for your kind words !

Viva a diferença! As you said: There is no single formula...... :)

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Hi Kim, thank you for your words. That is a beautiful path to walk along and right now the frangipani and ylang-ylang are in bloom so it smells even better than it looks! You are right about the garden's personality, I have a friend whose amazing garden is right up the beach and completely different than mine. Viva la diferencia!

Keith anyone who appreciates gardens and plants, landscaper or horticulturist, will love your garden. But as long as you think it's beautiful that's all that matters.

Peter

Peter

Yes Agaves are very sculptural plants!

I was amazed by your pond and I was inspired to finally begin to build one here! And not too small you said......