IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which is nicer, a. engleri or a. micrantha?

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

I grow both, but I have to say, a. micrantha just seems so much more spectacular. (Well, at least here in Central California.) Every leaf just gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

9E437F28-DC25-4D2C-9836-5780170B525A-384

I have to Say Axel that Micrantha is very nice after seeing yours and the one at SFO Golden gate park !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Arenga palms are great, give that jungle feel even as small plants. I have engleri (growing poorly, picked a bad spot), but don't have micrantha, I have microcarpa is that similar ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal

Arenga micrantha

Arenga micrantha

Bhutan Arenga

A strange-looking, multi-stemmed Arenga that grows to more than 6 m (20
ft) tall and carries elegant, large, flat, evenly pinnate leaves with
brilliant white undersides. Growing up to an incredible 2000-2150 m (6500-7000
ft) above sea level, it regularly endures winter snow and HEAVY FROST
in its habitat in the foothills of the eastern Himalayas, and is certainly
the most cold hardy Arenga. A. micrantha was described as recently as
1988 from Tibet (would you have thought that any palm grows there?) and
has now also been found to occur in Bhutan and N.E. India. It is extraordinary
how this comparatively large palm could have remained undetected in an
area that has been well and truly botanized for a hundred years, yet this
is what has happened. Following the initial discovery of a small group
of plants in N.E. India, it was found to be growing in several other locations,
in some numbers, and is used by the locals for thatching and for the manufacture
of brooms. A cool-growing palm, it is used to moist and mild conditions
in summer, and cold, dryish conditions in winter.

I have a small one in my greenhouse that i will plant out this spring .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hands down micrantha. Axel you have planted your micrantha to close to other plants. :winkie:http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35440-my-arenga-micrantha/?hl=micrantha Wait to see a recent pic of same plant with me again as scale.

Well yes of course, everything in my garden is too close to other plants. :) I had no idea how big this thing would get but it's actually working out quite nice.

Another A. micrantha fan here. Its leaflets are longer and softer than those of A. engleri, and it seems to form only a few stems. Photo is an A. micrantha from my old house, planted in 2008 as a 5g from Luen. IMHO, this is one of the best palms for the Bay Area.

post-608-0-28807000-1375290742_thumb.jpg

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Overall I think A. engleri is a nicer plant. It is a nice dense grower with very fragrant, intoxicating flowers. But A. micrantha is a great specimen too, just much slower growing. And don't let it fool you. It gets huge ! It tends to grow a dominant stem with a few suckers. But the leaves get huge and it easily gets as large as a clump of A. engleri.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Overall I think A. engleri is a nicer plant. It is a nice dense grower with very fragrant, intoxicating flowers. But A. micrantha is a great specimen too, just much slower growing. And don't let it fool you. It gets huge ! It tends to grow a dominant stem with a few suckers. But the leaves get huge and it easily gets as large as a clump of A. engleri.

If only a. engleri lived up to what you describe here in Northern California! Funny you say it's slow in Orlando, here it's the opposite. Micrantha just keeps on throwing new fronds whereas Engleri just sits there. Cool nights? No problem. Cool days, no problem. As soon as we get a cool couple of weeks during the Summer, engleri just shuts down. You can almost hear it saying "it's freakin' freezing here, please send me to Florida...".

I've seen the pics of engerli grown in Florida, it does look very "jungly".

If only a. engleri lived up to what you describe here in Northern California! Funny you say it's slow in Orlando, here it's the opposite. Micrantha just keeps on throwing new fronds whereas Engleri just sits there. Cool nights? No problem. Cool days, no problem. As soon as we get a cool couple of weeks during the Summer, engleri just shuts down. You can almost hear it saying "it's freakin' freezing here, please send me to Florida...".

I've seen the pics of engerli grown in Florida, it does look very "jungly".

:rolleyes: Axel you have just described with humor how cool tolerant micrantha is! It is an Arenga designed by Providence for NoCa. In my place it gets every summer very lightly scorched.

DSC_0055_zpseb3b841a.jpg

This is another young arenga engleri,I like them so much that I have many
I sowed many times arenga engleri,always germinated !
while I sowed 3 times seeds of arenga tremula ,never germinated!

GIUSEPPE

I like all and 2! engleri and micrantha

in this days is opening a new leaf micrantha

[url=http://s233.photobucket.com/user/giuseppe-1/media/DSC_0052_zps8c768e8f.jpg.html]DSC_0052_zps8c768e8f.jpg[/uR

Nice arengas, Gyuseppe,. L.engleri here put 2 or 3 leaf in a year

micrantha here put 1 or 2 leaf in a year

L micrantha 2 very large leaves already this year, my guess ill get three at least, maybe a 4th even if late Fall is warm. Engleri only one leaf so far.

They haven't been super slow but definitely slower than A. engleri. We have a couple that are getting large and have been in the ground almost 10 years. I will post some photos.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Arenga micrantha was planted in Nov. 2003, from a 3 gal. pot about 3ft tall. The main trunk is about 8ft tall, the largest leaves are easily 9-10ft long. That is a Pandanus furcatus next to it. It has a dominant trunk and 5 smaller offshoots.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This Arenga micrantha was planted in Nov. 2003, from a 3 gal. pot about 3ft tall. The main trunk is about 8ft tall, the largest leaves are easily 9-10ft long. That is a Pandanus furcatus next to it. It has a dominant trunk and 5 smaller offshoots.

post-231-0-43745500-1375306186_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-59722400-1375306211_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-58017700-1375306243_thumb.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I like micrantha's coppery coloration.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Eric, that's a fabulous jungle you're growing up there in Orlando. Seems the micrantha is getting a lot of shade. I am growing another one in full shade as well.

BTW, I love pandamus. I've got a furcatus growing here, it hasn't done much since I planted it, but now I've started to fertilize it, maybe it will get going.

My A. Engleri is stunned in a pot for a whole Summer now, not a milimeter of new growth. Any ideas how to trigger it? Has enough sun and water.

Has already any micrantha in cultivation bloomed? (I am afraid mine will bloom without having grown previously any significant trunk).

My A. Engleri is stunned in a pot for a whole Summer now, not a milimeter of new growth. Any ideas how to trigger it? Has enough sun and water.

Maybe pot is to small for the plant or it has wrong medium. It happens that I have seen a picture of this plant, if pot remains the same it is to small. My engleri had been initially put in to ground and in fall of same year had to be taken again out and therefore it had been repotted this time in a much larger pot filled with the clay based natural soil. The plant had been keeping growing (in my cold frame) all winter long.

Its repoted in larger pot but its comming more and more to me that its in to hot location with to much sun.

Αντε, ισ τηε ποτ εχποσεδ το σθν? Μαυβε ροοτσ αρε φεελινγ το ηοτ ανδ νοτ φθνψτιο προπερλυ! Τρυ το κεεπ ροοτσ ψοολερ. Τηατ ψαν βε δονε ειτηερ γδιιγινγ ιν ποτ βελος γροθνδ λεωελ ορ βυ πλαψινγ ποτ ιν α σηαδιερ πλαψε. Βθτ ιν τηε λαττερ ςαυ υοθ ςιλλ νεωερ κνος ςηετηερ αεριαλ παρτ ισ αλσο σενσιτιωε το υοθρ σθν.

Αντε, ισ τηε ποτ εχποσεδ το σθν? Μαυβε ροοτσ αρε φεελινγ το ηοτ ανδ νοτ φθνψτιο προπερλυ! Τρυ το κεεπ ροοτσ ψοολερ. Τηατ ψαν βε δονε ειτηερ γδιιγινγ ιν ποτ βελος γροθνδ λεωελ ορ βυ πλαψινγ ποτ ιν α σηαδιερ πλαψε. Βθτ ιν τηε λαττερ ςαυ υοθ ςιλλ νεωερ κνος ςηετηερ αεριαλ παρτ ισ αλσο σενσιτιωε το υοθρ σθν.

interesting sight, but I dont understand a word after Ante :)

Translation: (font problem, it's English, but in Greek alphabet).

Ante, is the pot exposed to sun?̱ Maybe roots are feeling too hot and not thriving properly! Try to keep roots̱ cooler. That can be done either digging in pot below ground level or by placing pot in a shadier place. with the latter safe, you still need know whether aerial part is also sensitive to your sun.

Oooops, how did that happen?! I guess I have to scan my pc for virouses immediately. Thanks Axel for ... deciphering. You had to be a good student in math at school :)

How would I tell the difference between A.Micrantha and A.Engleri when looking at a younger plant? ie 30cm high

• 2 weeks later...

moved into location with more shade. It will now get only 2 hrs of afternoon sun

I should do this time ago. I have a spear growth in two weeks now. My Arenga definiteve doesnt like to much sun.