Brahea Axel

Which is nicer, a. engleri or a. micrantha?

Brahea Axel

I grow both, but I have to say, a. micrantha just seems so much more spectacular. (Well, at least here in Central California.) Every leaf just gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

9E437F28-DC25-4D2C-9836-5780170B525A-384

Tassie_Troy1971

I have to Say Axel that Micrantha is very nice after seeing yours and the one at SFO Golden gate park !

Walter John

Arenga palms are great, give that jungle feel even as small plants. I have engleri (growing poorly, picked a bad spot), but don't have micrantha, I have microcarpa is that similar ?

Tassie_Troy1971

Wal

Arenga micrantha

Arenga micrantha

Bhutan Arenga

A strange-looking, multi-stemmed Arenga that grows to more than 6 m (20
ft) tall and carries elegant, large, flat, evenly pinnate leaves with
brilliant white undersides. Growing up to an incredible 2000-2150 m (6500-7000
ft) above sea level, it regularly endures winter snow and HEAVY FROST
in its habitat in the foothills of the eastern Himalayas, and is certainly
the most cold hardy Arenga. A. micrantha was described as recently as
1988 from Tibet (would you have thought that any palm grows there?) and
has now also been found to occur in Bhutan and N.E. India. It is extraordinary
how this comparatively large palm could have remained undetected in an
area that has been well and truly botanized for a hundred years, yet this
is what has happened. Following the initial discovery of a small group
of plants in N.E. India, it was found to be growing in several other locations,
in some numbers, and is used by the locals for thatching and for the manufacture
of brooms. A cool-growing palm, it is used to moist and mild conditions
in summer, and cold, dryish conditions in winter.

I have a small one in my greenhouse that i will plant out this spring .

Brahea Axel

Hands down micrantha. Axel you have planted your micrantha to close to other plants. :winkie:http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/35440-my-arenga-micrantha/?hl=micrantha Wait to see a recent pic of same plant with me again as scale.

Well yes of course, everything in my garden is too close to other plants. :) I had no idea how big this thing would get but it's actually working out quite nice.

daxin

Another A. micrantha fan here. Its leaflets are longer and softer than those of A. engleri, and it seems to form only a few stems. Photo is an A. micrantha from my old house, planted in 2008 as a 5g from Luen. IMHO, this is one of the best palms for the Bay Area.

post-608-0-28807000-1375290742_thumb.jpg

Eric in Orlando

Overall I think A. engleri is a nicer plant. It is a nice dense grower with very fragrant, intoxicating flowers. But A. micrantha is a great specimen too, just much slower growing. And don't let it fool you. It gets huge ! It tends to grow a dominant stem with a few suckers. But the leaves get huge and it easily gets as large as a clump of A. engleri.

Brahea Axel

Overall I think A. engleri is a nicer plant. It is a nice dense grower with very fragrant, intoxicating flowers. But A. micrantha is a great specimen too, just much slower growing. And don't let it fool you. It gets huge ! It tends to grow a dominant stem with a few suckers. But the leaves get huge and it easily gets as large as a clump of A. engleri.

If only a. engleri lived up to what you describe here in Northern California! Funny you say it's slow in Orlando, here it's the opposite. Micrantha just keeps on throwing new fronds whereas Engleri just sits there. Cool nights? No problem. Cool days, no problem. As soon as we get a cool couple of weeks during the Summer, engleri just shuts down. You can almost hear it saying "it's freakin' freezing here, please send me to Florida...".

I've seen the pics of engerli grown in Florida, it does look very "jungly".

Phoenikakias

If only a. engleri lived up to what you describe here in Northern California! Funny you say it's slow in Orlando, here it's the opposite. Micrantha just keeps on throwing new fronds whereas Engleri just sits there. Cool nights? No problem. Cool days, no problem. As soon as we get a cool couple of weeks during the Summer, engleri just shuts down. You can almost hear it saying "it's freakin' freezing here, please send me to Florida...".

I've seen the pics of engerli grown in Florida, it does look very "jungly".

:rolleyes: Axel you have just described with humor how cool tolerant micrantha is! It is an Arenga designed by Providence for NoCa. In my place it gets every summer very lightly scorched.

gyuseppe

I like all and 2! engleri and micrantha

in this days is opening a new leaf micrantha
L]engleri here put 2 or 3 leaf in a year
micrantha here put 1 or 2 leaf in a year
Edited by gyuseppe

gyuseppe

is arenga engleri

DSC_0054_zps7406bcad.jpg

is arenga micrantha

DSC_0052_zps8c768e8f.jpg

Edited by gyuseppe

gyuseppe

DSC_0055_zpseb3b841a.jpg

This is another young arenga engleri,I like them so much that I have many
I sowed many times arenga engleri,always germinated !
while I sowed 3 times seeds of arenga tremula ,never germinated!

Brahea Axel

I like all and 2! engleri and micrantha

in this days is opening a new leaf micrantha

[url=http://s233.photobucket.com/user/giuseppe-1/media/DSC_0052_zps8c768e8f.jpg.html]DSC_0052_zps8c768e8f.jpg[/uR

Nice arengas, Gyuseppe,. L.engleri here put 2 or 3 leaf in a year

micrantha here put 1 or 2 leaf in a year

L micrantha 2 very large leaves already this year, my guess ill get three at least, maybe a 4th even if late Fall is warm. Engleri only one leaf so far.

Eric in Orlando

They haven't been super slow but definitely slower than A. engleri. We have a couple that are getting large and have been in the ground almost 10 years. I will post some photos.

Eric in Orlando

This Arenga micrantha was planted in Nov. 2003, from a 3 gal. pot about 3ft tall. The main trunk is about 8ft tall, the largest leaves are easily 9-10ft long. That is a Pandanus furcatus next to it. It has a dominant trunk and 5 smaller offshoots.

Eric in Orlando

This Arenga micrantha was planted in Nov. 2003, from a 3 gal. pot about 3ft tall. The main trunk is about 8ft tall, the largest leaves are easily 9-10ft long. That is a Pandanus furcatus next to it. It has a dominant trunk and 5 smaller offshoots.

post-231-0-43745500-1375306186_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-59722400-1375306211_thumb.jpg

post-231-0-58017700-1375306243_thumb.jpg

JasonD

I like micrantha's coppery coloration.

Brahea Axel

Eric, that's a fabulous jungle you're growing up there in Orlando. Seems the micrantha is getting a lot of shade. I am growing another one in full shade as well.

BTW, I love pandamus. I've got a furcatus growing here, it hasn't done much since I planted it, but now I've started to fertilize it, maybe it will get going.

dalmatiansoap

My A. Engleri is stunned in a pot for a whole Summer now, not a milimeter of new growth. Any ideas how to trigger it? Has enough sun and water.

Phoenikakias

Has already any micrantha in cultivation bloomed? (I am afraid mine will bloom without having grown previously any significant trunk).

Phoenikakias

My A. Engleri is stunned in a pot for a whole Summer now, not a milimeter of new growth. Any ideas how to trigger it? Has enough sun and water.

Maybe pot is to small for the plant or it has wrong medium. It happens that I have seen a picture of this plant, if pot remains the same it is to small. My engleri had been initially put in to ground and in fall of same year had to be taken again out and therefore it had been repotted this time in a much larger pot filled with the clay based natural soil. The plant had been keeping growing (in my cold frame) all winter long.

dalmatiansoap

Its repoted in larger pot but its comming more and more to me that its in to hot location with to much sun.

Phoenikakias

Αντε, ισ τηε ποτ εχποσεδ το σθν? Μαυβε ροοτσ αρε φεελινγ το ηοτ ανδ νοτ φθνψτιο προπερλυ! Τρυ το κεεπ ροοτσ ψοολερ. Τηατ ψαν βε δονε ειτηερ γδιιγινγ ιν ποτ βελος γροθνδ λεωελ ορ βυ πλαψινγ ποτ ιν α σηαδιερ πλαψε. Βθτ ιν τηε λαττερ ςαυ υοθ ςιλλ νεωερ κνος ςηετηερ αεριαλ παρτ ισ αλσο σενσιτιωε το υοθρ σθν.

dalmatiansoap

Αντε, ισ τηε ποτ εχποσεδ το σθν? Μαυβε ροοτσ αρε φεελινγ το ηοτ ανδ νοτ φθνψτιο προπερλυ! Τρυ το κεεπ ροοτσ ψοολερ. Τηατ ψαν βε δονε ειτηερ γδιιγινγ ιν ποτ βελος γροθνδ λεωελ ορ βυ πλαψινγ ποτ ιν α σηαδιερ πλαψε. Βθτ ιν τηε λαττερ ςαυ υοθ ςιλλ νεωερ κνος ςηετηερ αεριαλ παρτ ισ αλσο σενσιτιωε το υοθρ σθν.

interesting sight, but I dont understand a word after Ante :)

Brahea Axel

Translation: (font problem, it's English, but in Greek alphabet).

Ante, is the pot exposed to sun?̱ Maybe roots are feeling too hot and not thriving properly! Try to keep roots̱ cooler. That can be done either digging in pot below ground level or by placing pot in a shadier place. with the latter safe, you still need know whether aerial part is also sensitive to your sun.

Phoenikakias

Oooops, how did that happen?! I guess I have to scan my pc for virouses immediately. Thanks Axel for ... deciphering. You had to be a good student in math at school :)

dalmatiansoap

moved into location with more shade. It will now get only 2 hrs of afternoon sun

Peter G

How would I tell the difference between A.Micrantha and A.Engleri when looking at a younger plant? ie 30cm high

dalmatiansoap

moved into location with more shade. It will now get only 2 hrs of afternoon sun

I should do this time ago. I have a spear growth in two weeks now. My Arenga definiteve doesnt like to much sun.