Sign in to follow this  
_Keith

Asparagus and the smell of,,,,

_Keith

When I eat Asparagus there is a certain effect on a certain liquid. I always assumed this happened to everyone, but I recently red that the effect does or does not happen based on the genetics of the individual. So, my question is, when you eat Asparagus does this odoriferous change happen to your fluids, or not?

Jerry@TreeZoo

I googled this:

In either case, the ability of a particular person to produce the necessary smelly compound in their urine after digesting asparagus was thought to be a genetic trait unique to only some humans until relatively recently. Recent research done in France, China, and Israel, all independently showed this is not the case. Rather, all humans appear to produce the smelly compound, but only some humans can detect the smell; the ability to detect the smell or not is a genetic trait. Further, according to the study done in Israel, only about 22% of people have that genetic ability to smell the odor from the urine of people who have recently eaten asparagus.
Read more at http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/12/why-asparagus-makes-pee-smell/#43tXY3usQJiDZBeG.99

I can smell it too.

_Keith

I googled this:

In either case, the ability of a particular person to produce the necessary smelly compound in their urine after digesting asparagus was thought to be a genetic trait unique to only some humans until relatively recently. Recent research done in France, China, and Israel, all independently showed this is not the case. Rather, all humans appear to produce the smelly compound, but only some humans can detect the smell; the ability to detect the smell or not is a genetic trait. Further, according to the study done in Israel, only about 22% of people have that genetic ability to smell the odor from the urine of people who have recently eaten asparagus.

Read more at http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/12/why-asparagus-makes-pee-smell/#43tXY3usQJiDZBeG.99

I can smell it too.

Glad you clarified that, and I can testify my detector is full on the job.

Stevetoad

Yup I'm in the stink club

Ken Johnson

That's why I eat it!

sur4z

Little known factoid...orchids are in the asparagus family. Wonder if the result is the same if you eat an orchid?

tjwalters

Little known factoid...orchids are in the asparagus family. Wonder if the result is the same if you eat an orchid?

Same order (Asparagales), different family (Asparagaceae vs. Orchidaceae). (Just call me Monk. What's that smell??? ;))

Moose

Yup I'm in the stink club

:bemused:

post-1729-0-40928000-1374359976.jpg

palmmermaid

Yep, I can smell it. My husband can't. But I can curl my tongue and he can't. Wonder if these 2 things are genetically linked?