IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bad foods made in the USA

Palm crazy

At the end of the day, table sugar, hfcs, even many naturally occuring fruits spike insulin levels after being eaten. High insulin does not allow the body to burn fat stores/calories. So, whenever we eat processed carbs or many naturally occurring carbs we impede our body's ability to maintain a healthy weight.

So eat up. Make your choice just don't delude yourself in the process. A little honesty to one's self goes a long way.

Interesting side note, I did read...wish I could remember where exactly, that it isn't human diets per se causing weight gain. But that weight gain in "non pet" animals is tracking with humans over the past few decades. Their assertion is that something else is in play. Wish I could remember now...

Great now I will have to look it up.

Must be global warming! Ok, sorry, trying to be light hearted here, please don't rekindle that debate here.

:floor: You took the words right out of my mouth! :floor:

Truth be told it's ball bearings...it's all ball bearings these days.

Dude your cracking me up." HFCS is bad and sugar is good". Sugar as a whole is BAD FOR YOU.

From the American journal of clinical nutrition.

"Previous Section

Next Section

CONCLUSIONS

The hypothesis that HFCS is a unique cause of obesity is not supportable in the United States or elsewhere, and the reasons are clear:

HFCS has the same sugars composition as other benign fructose-glucose sweeteners such as sucrose, honey, and fruit juice concentrates and dietary sources such as fruits and juices;

Increased caloric intake since 1970 was not due to added sugars (including HFCS) but rather was due to increased consumption of all caloric nutrients, especially fats and flour and cereals;

HFCS is consumed in equal amounts with sucrose in the United States, but at <10% of the amount of sucrose worldwide;

Fructose-glucose sweeteners are metabolized through the same pathways regardless of dietary source;

Although pure fructose can cause metabolic upsets at high concentrations and in the absence of glucose, such experiments are irrelevant for HFCS, which is not consumed at extreme high levels and contains both fructose and glucose;

There is no longer an association between HFCS and obesity in the United States: per capita consumption of HFCS has declined in recent years, whereas obesity rates continue to rise; and

There is absolutely no association between HFCS use and worldwide obesity; HFCS is really a minor sweetener in the global perspective.

No one would disagree that HFCS as a caloric ingredient can lead to weight gain if products sweetened with it are consumed to excess. After all, the same may be said for all caloric ingredients, such as fats, protein, alcohol, and other carbohydrates. But there is absolutely no proof that HFCS acts in any exclusive manner to promote obesity. It is time to retire the hypothesis that HFCS is uniquely responsible for obesity. (Other articles in this supplement to the Journal include references 34-37.)"

Classic Misdirection: "Your scientific evidence doesn't support my opinion so I will discount it by saying other stuff is also bad, (but not in the same way)."

Keep trollin', man. You're not debating, you're trying to "win".

I'm gonna go eat some birthday cake (made with Sucrose!)

I'm still making the same point as I started with. HFCS is just as bad as sugar. Simple as that. I've shown you multiple quote that just about every study ends with " HFCS is no worse for you than sugar" you found one random study. As far as winning goes I could care less. Science is about proof and being proven wrong. If your a scientist you should be able to adapt to being wrong in the face of evidence. S far I have seen no proof that HFCS is any worse that sugar. I have seen many study's being titled "HFCS is not as bad as once thought". Agree with me or disagree with me I don't care just do your own research and not jump on every media hype bandwagon. If you only follow what's on tv it's amazing anyone is still alive right now. Happy birthday btw.

Steve - my wife is from a small town in Iowa. Big Corn Syrup processing plant there. Just seeing it, smelling it, you would change your position. Anything that processed is not natural. We were hunter, gatherers 5,000 years ago. We are an adaptable species, but we don't evolve that quickly.

Get real my friend. Corn Syrup is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD!!!!!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Dude your cracking me up." HFCS is bad and sugar is good". Sugar as a whole is BAD FOR YOU.

From the American journal of clinical nutrition.

"Previous Section

Next Section

CONCLUSIONS

The hypothesis that HFCS is a unique cause of obesity is not supportable in the United States or elsewhere, and the reasons are clear:

HFCS has the same sugars composition as other benign fructose-glucose sweeteners such as sucrose, honey, and fruit juice concentrates and dietary sources such as fruits and juices;

Increased caloric intake since 1970 was not due to added sugars (including HFCS) but rather was due to increased consumption of all caloric nutrients, especially fats and flour and cereals;

HFCS is consumed in equal amounts with sucrose in the United States, but at <10% of the amount of sucrose worldwide;

Fructose-glucose sweeteners are metabolized through the same pathways regardless of dietary source;

Although pure fructose can cause metabolic upsets at high concentrations and in the absence of glucose, such experiments are irrelevant for HFCS, which is not consumed at extreme high levels and contains both fructose and glucose;

There is no longer an association between HFCS and obesity in the United States: per capita consumption of HFCS has declined in recent years, whereas obesity rates continue to rise; and

There is absolutely no association between HFCS use and worldwide obesity; HFCS is really a minor sweetener in the global perspective.

No one would disagree that HFCS as a caloric ingredient can lead to weight gain if products sweetened with it are consumed to excess. After all, the same may be said for all caloric ingredients, such as fats, protein, alcohol, and other carbohydrates. But there is absolutely no proof that HFCS acts in any exclusive manner to promote obesity. It is time to retire the hypothesis that HFCS is uniquely responsible for obesity. (Other articles in this supplement to the Journal include references 34-37.)"

Classic Misdirection: "Your scientific evidence doesn't support my opinion so I will discount it by saying other stuff is also bad, (but not in the same way)."

Keep trollin', man. You're not debating, you're trying to "win".

I'm gonna go eat some birthday cake (made with Sucrose!)

I'm still making the same point as I started with. HFCS is just as bad as sugar. Simple as that. I've shown you multiple quote that just about every study ends with " HFCS is no worse for you than sugar" you found one random study. As far as winning goes I could care less. Science is about proof and being proven wrong. If your a scientist you should be able to adapt to being wrong in the face of evidence. S far I have seen no proof that HFCS is any worse that sugar. I have seen many study's being titled "HFCS is not as bad as once thought". Agree with me or disagree with me I don't care just do your own research and not jump on every media hype bandwagon. If you only follow what's on tv it's amazing anyone is still alive right now. Happy birthday btw.

Steve - my wife is from a small town in Iowa. Big Corn Syrup processing plant there. Just seeing it, smelling it, you would change your position. Anything that processed is not natural. We were hunter, gatherers 5,000 years ago. We are an adaptable species, but we don't evolve that quickly.

Get real my friend. Corn Syrup is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD!!!!!

Moose sugar in general is bad for you. Most sugar you eat is processed too. Have you ever been to a fish processing plant? That smell can gag a maggot but we still eat it. The point I'm making is that ALL sugars are bad for the human body. Not that HFCS is better than sugar. They are both equally bad. I get tired of hearing people trying to blame there problems on everyone else. "I'm fat because McDonald's has super sized fries" no your fat because you eat at McDonald's to much. "I'm fat because of HFCS " no your fat because you eat sweets. Let get some common sense back.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

You said to quote scientific studies. I tried my best to do that or to post articles directly quoting scientific studies. There were many non-scientific source I did not quote.

Now, that said I am not in all that much disagreement with you, but I do think there is a difference.

Keith, as an innocent bystander, THANK YOU for saying you 'think' and not that you know. It is awesome to have an informed opinion. But so many in today's world offer opinion as fact and then back it with studies that mirror their opinion. Seems to me that "science" has not come close to settling this debate. My net net from reading you and Steve is...watch what you eat. Avoid EXCESS sugar in whatever form it appears.

You said to quote scientific studies. I tried my best to do that or to post articles directly quoting scientific studies. There were many non-scientific source I did not quote.

Now, that said I am not in all that much disagreement with you, but I do think there is a difference.

Keith, as an innocent bystander, THANK YOU for saying you 'think' and not that you know. It is awesome to have an informed opinion. But so many in today's world offer opinion as fact and then back it with studies that mirror their opinion. Seems to me that "science" has not come close to settling this debate. My net net from reading you and Steve is...watch what you eat. Avoid EXCESS sugar in whatever form it appears.

Amen

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Amen

Well said hammer.
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Amen

Well said hammer.

I'm wondering...would it too self-serving if I gave you and Xearch each a positive reputation point for agreeing with me? Naaawwwwwww. :rolleyes:

Few things if any are "known" in science today, so yes I "think." Too many complex variables, too many "sponsored" studies, too many folks just trying to sell stuff. All you can do is try to dismiss what you want to believe, keep an open mind, and follow common sense.

My common sense tells me to avoid processed foods as much as possible, including HFCS. I am not a saint, so when I have to chose between HFCS and Sugar, I choose sugar, the less processed of the two. I have tried to use honey as much as possible lately.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Few things if any are "known" in science today, so yes I "think." Too many complex variables, too many "sponsored" studies, too many folks just trying to sell stuff. All you can do is try to dismiss what you want to believe, keep an open mind, and follow common sense.

My common sense tells me to avoid processed foods as much as possible, including HFCS. I am not a saint, so when I have to chose between HFCS and Sugar, I choose sugar, the less processed of the two. I have tried to use honey as much as possible lately.

All around wise perspective.

Man I can't agree with the first part of this more! Sad to see what science is becoming.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Yes Steve, sugar is pretty much bad for you. As noted earlier in the thread, more processing means less beneficial. Sugar from fruit is acceptable as fiber is being consumed with it. Maple syrup, good. Honey, good. Refined sugar, not so good but a lesser evil. Think about how much sugar cane you would have to chew up to equal a cup of refined sugar. Corn syrup simply does not exist without being highly processed. How many ears of corn would you need to consume to equal 2 oz of corn syrup? There is no answer since this form of sugar does not exist in its natural state.

Take fats: Are they fattening - yes. But there are different kinds of fats. Fats from nuts, coconuts, avocados, olives, etc. are better for you as they are more natural. All these highly processed fats are not beneficial to the body. The body does not recognize their unnatural state and does not process them as food - usually just sends it straight to are fat storage system.

I don't eat fish from processing plants. Either I catch it or I know who did. If not, I pass on fish. I know too much about the "fresh fish business"!

Yes Steve, sugar is pretty much bad for you. As noted earlier in the thread, more processing means less beneficial. Sugar from fruit is acceptable as fiber is being consumed with it. Maple syrup, good. Honey, good. Refined sugar, not so good but a lesser evil. Think about how much sugar cane you would have to chew up to equal a cup of refined sugar. Corn syrup simply does not exist without being highly processed. How many ears of corn would you need to consume to equal 2 oz of corn syrup? There is no answer since this form of sugar does not exist in its natural state.

Take fats: Are they fattening - yes. But there are different kinds of fats. Fats from nuts, coconuts, avocados, olives, etc. are better for you as they are more natural. All these highly processed fats are not beneficial to the body. The body does not recognize their unnatural state and does not process them as food - usually just sends it straight to are fat storage system.

I don't eat fish from processing plants. Either I catch it or I know who did. If not, I pass on fish. I know too much about the "fresh fish business"!

I don't disagree with you. My whole deal was instead of making a huge deal about HFCs they should be making a big deal about sugar in general. Btw as a avid fisherman I always wonder what the hell they do to canned tuna to make it taste like cat food. I've caught tuna my whole life and never once has it smelled or tasted like canned tuna

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

This postings read like a SNL sketch….LOL! All to come to the same conclusion that to much sugar is BAD for you. ‘You are what you eat’, as the saying goes.

Moose you are so right about healthy fats. :wub: Compare to animal fat and hydrogenation process fats. :sick: Yuck!

Read Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. . . Awesome book. Really focused my nebulous ideas about food.

Read his earlier book on gardening. My first in ground garden (was in an apartment before) is fruiting out right now, more is growing.

If it comes in a box or has HFCS in it, I don't want it!

I still don't understand the HFCS fears. When you eat it your body turns it into glucose, likewise when you eat regular sugar your body turns it into glucose. It's just a different type of sugar. Sweeteners of all kinds should be consumed in moderation. But to avoid HFCS and still eat sugar is not a healthy choice.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is metabolized differently in the body than your standard white sucrose table sugar. Repeated studies under strict laboratory conditions with HFCS, Sugar and a control group have shown over and over that HFCS causes significant increases in weight gain over table sugar.

it is not the same

Can you site these studies? Every study I've read says "there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners" -quoted from mayoclinic.com. I hear the media hype but I haven't seen the evidence.

You are right it all depends what group is paying for the study. Buyer beware

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

Lots of good and valid points. I have a few things to add to the mix.

1. If it doesn't occur in nature, don't eat it. If your grandparents - or great grandparents for you youngsters - wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it. If it has more than 5 ingredients, don't eat it. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

2. Chemically-created products from corn can be labeled as "natural" even though they do not occur in nature. That all-natural raspberry drink may not have any raspberry in it, just chemicals usually derived from corn made to taste like raspberry. But because it is derived from corn, it can be labeled as "natural".

3. Not all animal fat is bad for you. It depends on how the animal was raised and slaughtered. Beef or pork or chicken derived from pastured animals - pastured their entire lives, not finished on pasture - contains great fats that are not harmful to us. Should you gorge yourself? No. But it is good for you. Eggs from pastured hen are wonderful - take a look at the yolks from one and the yolk from a CAFO egg.

4. Dairy is not bad, only CAFO dairy is bad. And unpasteurized milk is not bad nor disease-ridden. I drink only raw milk, make my own butter and cheese from it. The milk protein given such a bad rap - casein - is completely different in raw milk and pasteurized milk. I use the whey to make everything from kimchee to kraut.

5. If you can't find pastured meat, buy kosher. The entire slaughter process is different. Less tressful to the animal means less stress hormones in you - a good thing.

6. A few really good - again, my opinion - books on this:

Any book by Michael Pollan, including his new one - Food

Nourishing Traditions by Mary Fallon - great information with lots of references and recipes

The Primal Connection and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sissons - very interesting reading that pointed me to eating differently.

Salad Bar Beef; Holy Cows & Hog Heaven; and Everything I Want to Do is Illegal - by Joel Salatin.

And check out these websites:

www.marksdailyapple.com

www.westonaprice.org

www.polyface.farms.com

Both have great information with thought provoking insights. Anf the Polyface Farms site will shed light on the struggle small farmers are having battling companies like Monsanto and organizations like the FDA.

• Upvote 1

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Quote "1. If it doesn't occur in nature, don't eat it."

I can find the Nachos Supreme from Taco Bell in nature, I know it! If you just look in the right spots.....

Edited by Xerarch

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

You can't get much more political than food . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For each page that this thread goes on I will eat a pie. We're up to 2. Proceed.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

For each page that this thread goes on I will eat a pie. We're up to 2. Proceed.

McDonalds or homemade?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

If they are peach pies from your trees can I have a piece?!

I am of the opinion that if one is active enough to burn as many calories in a day as are ingested......then it does not matter a whit where they come from. Lots of talk on diet and sugar here, but does anyone look at a balanced approach to weight control with focus on exercise. If you burn 1000 calories a day in activity over your basal metabolism, you could have a full belly all day!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Lots of good and valid points. I have a few things to add to the mix.

1. If it doesn't occur in nature, don't eat it. If your grandparents - or great grandparents for you youngsters - wouldn't recognize it as food, don't eat it. If it has more than 5 ingredients, don't eat it. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

2. Chemically-created products from corn can be labeled as "natural" even though they do not occur in nature. That all-natural raspberry drink may not have any raspberry in it, just chemicals usually derived from corn made to taste like raspberry. But because it is derived from corn, it can be labeled as "natural".

3. Not all animal fat is bad for you. It depends on how the animal was raised and slaughtered. Beef or pork or chicken derived from pastured animals - pastured their entire lives, not finished on pasture - contains great fats that are not harmful to us. Should you gorge yourself? No. But it is good for you. Eggs from pastured hen are wonderful - take a look at the yolks from one and the yolk from a CAFO egg.

4. Dairy is not bad, only CAFO dairy is bad. And unpasteurized milk is not bad nor disease-ridden. I drink only raw milk, make my own butter and cheese from it. The milk protein given such a bad rap - casein - is completely different in raw milk and pasteurized milk. I use the whey to make everything from kimchee to kraut.

5. If you can't find pastured meat, buy kosher. The entire slaughter process is different. Less tressful to the animal means less stress hormones in you - a good thing.

6. A few really good - again, my opinion - books on this:

Any book by Michael Pollan, including his new one - Food

Nourishing Traditions by Mary Fallon - great information with lots of references and recipes

The Primal Connection and The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sissons - very interesting reading that pointed me to eating differently.

Salad Bar Beef; Holy Cows & Hog Heaven; and Everything I Want to Do is Illegal - by Joel Salatin.

And check out these websites:

www.marksdailyapple.com

www.westonaprice.org

www.polyface.farms.com

Both have great information with thought provoking insights. Anf the Polyface Farms site will shed light on the struggle small farmers are having battling companies like Monsanto and organizations like the FDA.

Oh - you used the M word. I can't use it without ranting. :rant: The last line of your post is mostly what is wrong about our food supply. There are also "entities" that create scents and flavors to make all this crappy processed food paletable. We are all getting shamed for the cause of the almighty ... MOD Interference :bemused:

Big mistake the fast food industry, big f mistake.

end of line.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I totally agree that lots of process foods are very bad. No argument here. I also think one key to this whole scenario is, moderation. And for me personally, at times is hard to do. But for some of you that think if you eat as "pure" as you can, that maybe you'll live longer (???). Feel better for sure. But I'm married to an oncology nurse and probably have heard hundreds of personal stories form her. Suddenly one day you go to your doctor for maybe a slight pain your having, or a routine check up. And after further testing, your told the 3 little words that EVERYONE dreads hearing and could affect your life forever.......you have cancer. I guess what I'm trying to say is, moderation is key, don't deprive yourself of some of the little things in life. A candy bar? Lol

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Moose, I didn't even think about the M word! I just typed it. I could have substituted one of the other food making giants instead.

Bepah, it makes a difference what kind of calories you take in and hence what kind of food you take in. All 1000 calories are not the same. As far as exercise goes, take a read at the part of Mark Sisson's book as it relates to what he calls "chronic-cardio". Basically he says - based on studies of primitive peoples - that chronic-cardio is not natural for us as a species nor necessary for overall good health. I can expand on that if you like.

Jeff, having survived breast cancer, I am all too aware of the problems caused by some foods. Cancer cells absolutely love processed sugar. That was the first think I was told to avoid. There are other foods on that list but basically it is processed foods. Do I deprive myself of all "good" foods? No. Every night I have an ounce of really good dark chocolate. And lots of good, yummy fruits and vegetables. I do make desserts but not with any grains. I can even make a great granola with no grains - just fruits and nuts and fats. I am not eating this way in order to live 120 years. I eat this way to do whatever I can to be healthy today and tomorrow. I can say this with conviction - I've lost 26 pounds, my blood numbers, etc, are well within the normal ranges, I heal quickly, I have very few aches and pains, and I have lots of energy. And you are right, moderation is the key.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Sometimes I wonder if I get cancer or some chronic, fatal disease if I'd take any medicine or just let it kill me. I made my initial peace with the thought of death about 15 years ago when I was a hardcore dope addict and very close to dying. Thankfully I did not succumb to my "disease". But I think my wife is the only reason that I'd fight it. If it were up to me, I'm pretty much ready to go whenever.

homemade, fullsize pies

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sometimes I wonder if I get cancer or some chronic, fatal disease if I'd take any medicine or just let it kill me. I made my initial peace with the thought of death about 15 years ago when I was a hardcore dope addict and very close to dying. Thankfully I did not succumb to my "disease". But I think my wife is the only reason that I'd fight it. If it were up to me, I'm pretty much ready to go whenever.

homemade, fullsize pies

Much respect Matty. It takes a tough person to face down what you did. I would love to hear your story sometime.

I think you hit on something fundamental. Living for something or someone outside yourself. That really is a basic reason for being. Without that perspective we are just selfish jerks who leave our spheres of influence worse off for us having been here.

Much respect.