IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bad foods made in the USA

Palm crazy

Like a lot of americans I’m trying to learn how to have a better diet and learn more about the food I eat and what food I should stay away from.

A health nut friend sent me this website that has some very interesting information on it.

Here’s one of many articles….. PS: I actually stop buying most of these food products along time ago on my own. Thought others would enjoy reading.

Shocking Differences In Ingredients Between The Same Food Products In The U.S., Canada and U.K.

http://banoosh.com/blog/2013/06/17/shocking-differences-in-ingredients-between-the-same-food-products-in-the-u-s-canada-and-u-k/

I wouldn't worry about it .Eat what you want.

post-4145-0-19996500-1374013535_thumb.jp

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

What would you eat on a car? The leather interior? What are you, a goat?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The more stops and processing between the farm and the table, the less healthy it is likely to be.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Most of that stuff I don't consume any more.

Though, I admit the "Manly" cookbook is intriguing. The problem is stopping. Recall that a certain lady from SC cooked that way, too and ended up with a lot of trouble.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Eat when you're hungry

Drink when you're dry

If nobody kills you

You'll die when you die

All about balance. I do try to eat healthy if possible. But stress is also a big killer. I choose not to stress out too much about the food I eat.

For the last few years I've tried to eat the way I did growing up - close to the source. Meats and fruits and vegetables from close to the source. I can't remember the last time I opened a can. The only canned items I have are tomatoes and those are being replaced with ones in boxes or ones in jars I've put up myself. And in January I went primal/paleo. I gave up all grains and most sugars. I became very aware of how foods are created (that sounds scary) and the entire process. Since then, I've lost 26 pounds, my gut is finally back to normal after being ravaged by chemo and radiation, my energy levels are great, my skin looks clear, and I feel great. And when I went for my annual physical, all of my numbers are well within the normal range.

I owe a lot to Michael Pollan's and Mark Sissons' books on food and eating. I shop at the farmer's market. If the meat isn't local and completely pastured, I won't eat it. I buy raw honey locally. I eat seasonally and can things that are in abundance. I've even made my own salt from the local waters. Last week I made catsup from local tomatoes - it is bright red and tastes yummy. I know exactly what is in it. I canned tomato sauce, made pickles and pickled vegetables for later. My husband has lost weight on this program as well.

I buy raw milk and drink it, make yogurt from it, make cheese from it, and even use the whey leftover for pickles or to drink in a smoothie. I buy eggs from someone a mile from me, including duck eggs. I grow my own herbs - at least as many as I can. And next year, when I am retired, I will have a nice big garden. I am preparing the ground now.

Does all this take time? Yes. Is it worth it? Absolutely! We as Americans can speak with our wallets. Don't buy processed food. Take a look at the shopping carts of people in the grocery store. Processed foods abound. And for the ones with fresh produce in them, over half of it gets thrown out because it isn't eaten. And 40% gets left in the fields or on the trees because it isn't pretty enough to sell. Really? I will take that ugly food and use it. No GMOs thank you. Nothing with anything made from corn or soybeans or canola (rapeseed).

When I was in Italy last year, I was amazed at the food. I had heard it was great but I found that hard to believe. But the simplest ingredients were used to create amazing dishes. And so fresh! But the Slow Food movement did start there.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Agree! We are growing most of our veggies and I can tell the difference is more than HUUUUUGE comparing with market stuff.

IMAG6885_zpsb6c39d28.jpg

IMAG6891_zps9fa72bb5.jpg

IMAG6780_zps2099baeb.jpg

IMAG6617_zpsf6a0f45d.jpg

IMG_20130421_180116_zps98475b78.jpg

food industry is global thing and as long as it is industry its not a production!

:greenthumb:

Read Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. . . Awesome book. Really focused my nebulous ideas about food.

Read his earlier book on gardening. My first in ground garden (was in an apartment before) is fruiting out right now, more is growing.

If it comes in a box or has HFCS in it, I don't want it!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Here we go, another Palmtalk food fight! Ha haaaa...

In all seriousness, I want to take issue with several assertions being made. But I will keep it limited. Rest assured that 40% of fruit is not left to rot. There are 1s and 2s. 1s get sold to retail grocery because they look nice and people will pay "top" dollar for them. 2s have visual flaws, are too small and etc. There is healthy market for 2s. You just don't see them in your local retailer. Grower margins are so razor thin they can't afford to leave 40% to rot.

Read Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma. . . Awesome book. Really focused my nebulous ideas about food.

Read his earlier book on gardening. My first in ground garden (was in an apartment before) is fruiting out right now, more is growing.

I still don't understand the HFCS fears. When you eat it your body turns it into glucose, likewise when you eat regular sugar your body turns it into glucose. It's just a different type of sugar. Sweeteners of all kinds should be consumed in moderation. But to avoid HFCS and still eat sugar is not a healthy choice.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I still don't understand the HFCS fears. When you eat it your body turns it into glucose, likewise when you eat regular sugar your body turns it into glucose. It's just a different type of sugar. Sweeteners of all kinds should be consumed in moderation. But to avoid HFCS and still eat sugar is not a healthy choice.

High Fructose Corn Syrup is metabolized differently in the body than your standard white sucrose table sugar. Repeated studies under strict laboratory conditions with HFCS, Sugar and a control group have shown over and over that HFCS causes significant increases in weight gain over table sugar.

it is not the same

High Fructose Corn Syrup is metabolized differently in the body than your standard white sucrose table sugar. Repeated studies under strict laboratory conditions with HFCS, Sugar and a control group have shown over and over that HFCS causes significant increases in weight gain over table sugar.

it is not the same

Can you site these studies? Every study I've read says "there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners" -quoted from mayoclinic.com. I hear the media hype but I haven't seen the evidence.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

The whole point of this discussion is not weather HFCS if worst than table sugar, but that its used in so many products as a sweetener and as a food preservative, that we are getting to much which causes lot of health problems. One apple in the morning has more natural sugar in it than the average snicker bar, but the difference is the apple sugar stays with you for the whole day slowly giving the average person more healthy energy.

Starting next month I’m starting a 70% plant plus 30% protein to help fight inflammation, reverse stomach problems, and maybe get ride of some extra bodyweight around the middle. LOL! I’ve given up a lot of daily junk foods and soda which is really hard but have replace them with more healthy alternatives. I just got the new best selling book, The Omni Diet, The author is a religious nutcase I’ve found out just by ready the first few pages, and on the back jacket, (look up paster Rick Warren) but I am willing to look beyond that b/c the book is so right on for me and my health.

Edited by Palm crazy

The whole point of this discussion is not weather HFCS if worst than table sugar, but that its used in so many products as a sweetener and as a food preservative, that we are getting to much which causes lot of health problems. One apple in the morning has more natural sugar in it than the average snicker bar, but the difference is the apple sugar stays with you for the whole day slowly giving the average person more healthy energy.

Starting next month I’m starting a 70% plant plus 30% protein to help fight inflammation, reverse stomach problems, and maybe get ride of some extra bodyweight around the middle. LOL! I’ve given up a lot of daily junk foods and soda which is really hard but have replace them with more healthy alternatives. I just got the new best selling book, The Omni Diet, The author is a religious nutcase I’ve found out just by ready the first few pages, and on the back jacket, (look up paster Rick Warren) but I am willing to look beyond that b/c the book is so right on for me and my health.

I have gone on similar diets too (low carb) everyone thinks low carb is eating nothing but meat but in reality you eat mostly salads. With about a 70% veggie and 30% protein. The first time I went on it I lost 35lbs in about 3 months but the best part was that I've always had stomach issues (ulcers,acid reflux) a week after going low carb my stomach problems were gone. The weight loss also helped with my knees. Over all I think it's a great diet but I couldn't stop loosing weight so I had to start adding carbs back in and my stomach went back to being a mess. For a soda replacement unsweetened ice tea is good.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Starting next month Im starting a 70% plant plus 30% protein to help fight inflammation, reverse stomach problems, and maybe get ride of some extra bodyweight around the middle. LOL! Ive given up a lot of daily junk foods and soda which is really hard but have replace them with more healthy alternatives. I just got the new best selling book, The Omni Diet, The author is a religious nutcase Ive found out just by ready the first few pages, and on the back jacket, (look up paster Rick Warren) but I am willing to look beyond that b/c the book is so right on for me and my health.

Dude c'mon! No need for making disparaging comments about someone for their religious beliefs. Over the course of my life my beliefs have ranged from devout to agnostic/atheist. At no time is it cool or fair game to dismiss someone or call names because they are different. Especially on a discussion about food. Not cool.

I’m actually a tall slim person but have belly fat I want to get ride of, I’m 200lbs 70” tall, but want to get to 190lbs. I lost 20 lbs over this spring and my joints and back are so much better, but now I just want to start eating for health and energy.

From the book…

The Omni Diet is an easy to follow program built on 70/30 plant to protein model. This is not a restrictive diet or another page in the high protein vs. vegetarian diet wars, but a universal map to better health distilled into three two week phases. The balance of 70% plant base foods and abundance of illness fighting nutrients and 30% protein to keep the brain sharp ad muscles and organs functioning at peak condition restores energy,slashes the risk of disease, produces dramatic weight loss and promotes health from the inside out.

The book is written in a way thats easy to understand, and has daily menus and easy to follow exercises and delicious recipes.

Ok, I am off my soap box now.

Ice tea with stevia leaves and lemon is my favorite cool drink.

I’m actually a tall slim person but have belly fat I want to get ride of, I’m 200lbs 70” tall, but want to get to 190lbs. I lost 20 lbs over this spring and my joints and back are so much better, but now I just want to start eating for health and energy.

From the book…

The Omni Diet is an easy to follow program built on 70/30 plant to protein model. This is not a restrictive diet or another page in the high protein vs. vegetarian diet wars, but a universal map to better health distilled into three two week phases. The balance of 70% plant base foods and abundance of illness fighting nutrients and 30% protein to keep the brain sharp ad muscles and organs functioning at peak condition restores energy,slashes the risk of disease, produces dramatic weight loss and promotes health from the inside out.

The book is written in a way thats easy to understand, and has daily menus and easy to follow exercises and delicious recipes.

Ok, I am off my soap box now.

Ice tea with stevia leaves and lemon is my favorite cool drink.

My build is the same. Tall and slim but hold all my weight in my gut. I've recently started an intense workout routine that takes me to the point of nausea and once well beyond. Also cut out all sodas and limited my alcohol intake to just one day a week. I already feel better and have more energy.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I hear what you’re saying Hammer. I couldn’t care less what her religious beliefs are. Live and let live, right.!

I do have a problem.… with the church she brags about ( in the book) since they have ties with other hate group. Thats all I have to say about it. Peace.

Edited by Palm crazy

it is not the same

Can you site these studies? Every study I've read says "there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners" -quoted from mayoclinic.com. I hear the media hype but I haven't seen the evidence.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=topstories

found that one in about 2 seconds on google...

it is not the same

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=topstories

Gee, I was hoping to see some of the before and after photos of those rats!

Like everything in life there’s always two sides of every argument.

it is not the same

And how many are you seeing that say the exact opposite? "But when it comes right down to it, a sugar is a sugar is a sugar. A can of soda contains around nine teaspoons of sugar in the form of HFCSbut, from a biochemical standpoint, drinking that soda is no worse for you than sipping home-brewed iced tea that youve doctored with nine teaspoons of table sugar or an equivalent amount of honey."

If you want to delude yourself by thinking sugar is "healthier" than HFCS go right ahead. If you want to be healthier stay away from sweets. To avoid HFCS and consume other forms of sugar is like saying Pepsi is a healthier alternative to coke.

Also when you google high fructose corn syrup only 1 out of 10 on the first page claim that its worse than other sweeteners.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I hear what youre saying Hammer. I couldnt care less what her religious beliefs are. Live and let live, right.!

I do have a problem. with the church she brags about ( in the book) since they have ties with other hate group. Thats all I have to say about it. Peace.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree...live and let live. GREAT attitude. I don't have any idea of what church or other affiliated groups the author speaks. So I won't comment. Back to the topic...

A few years ago, my doctor recommended I buy, read and follow a book called Sugar Busters. Might be worth checking out.

break his leg Hammer (I'm kidding I'm kidding)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

HFCS Bad!

NOPE!

Thesis Assertion.

NOPE!

But, SCIENCE!

"I deny your reality and substitute the one that supports my Nope."

The fact of the matter is, your cells burn Glucose, not Fructose. Table sugar is a 50% Fructose/50% Glucose disaccharide, HFCS is a 55% Fructose/41% Glucose/4% "other" slurry of monosaccharides. Fructose (save for cells of the intestine and a few other places) is only burned in the Liver where it must be processed into a burnable sugar or into lipids, etc. and sent to fat storage. Glucose goes straight to your other cells to go through glycolysis and enter the Krebs Cycle.

When you eat sucrose (table sugar) your body must expend a tiny amount of chemical energy just to break that disaccharide bond. You now have access to that Fructose and Glucose, half of which goes straight to the cells.

When you eat HFCS you don't have to expend that energy to break the bond because the sugars are already in monosaccharide form. You get immediate access to the sugars, you cells burn the glucose and your liver has to process the fructose and others before burning.

Fructose must be processed before entering the Krebs Cycle.

Once in the Krebs Cycle the process of utilizing the Fructose-related products tend to build up more Krebs cycle intermediates, which are in turn more likely to be utilized in triglyceride production.

So, in short, Table Sugar (Sucrose) is better for you than HFCS, because HFCS is chemically easier for the body to access and eventually turn into fat.

These are facts, they can not be spun by those attempting to sell "Corn Sugar", so they are ignored or discounted.

Whee

Dude your cracking me up." HFCS is bad and sugar is good". Sugar as a whole is BAD FOR YOU.

From the American journal of clinical nutrition.

"Previous Section

Next Section

CONCLUSIONS

The hypothesis that HFCS is a unique cause of obesity is not supportable in the United States or elsewhere, and the reasons are clear:

HFCS has the same sugars composition as other benign fructose-glucose sweeteners such as sucrose, honey, and fruit juice concentrates and dietary sources such as fruits and juices;

Increased caloric intake since 1970 was not due to added sugars (including HFCS) but rather was due to increased consumption of all caloric nutrients, especially fats and flour and cereals;

HFCS is consumed in equal amounts with sucrose in the United States, but at <10% of the amount of sucrose worldwide;

Fructose-glucose sweeteners are metabolized through the same pathways regardless of dietary source;

Although pure fructose can cause metabolic upsets at high concentrations and in the absence of glucose, such experiments are irrelevant for HFCS, which is not consumed at extreme high levels and contains both fructose and glucose;

There is no longer an association between HFCS and obesity in the United States: per capita consumption of HFCS has declined in recent years, whereas obesity rates continue to rise; and

There is absolutely no association between HFCS use and worldwide obesity; HFCS is really a minor sweetener in the global perspective.

No one would disagree that HFCS as a caloric ingredient can lead to weight gain if products sweetened with it are consumed to excess. After all, the same may be said for all caloric ingredients, such as fats, protein, alcohol, and other carbohydrates. But there is absolutely no proof that HFCS acts in any exclusive manner to promote obesity. It is time to retire the hypothesis that HFCS is uniquely responsible for obesity. (Other articles in this supplement to the Journal include references 34-37.)"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

The first time I went on it I lost 35lbs in about 3 months but the best part was that I've always had stomach issues (ulcers,acid reflux) a week after going low carb my stomach problems were gone. The weight loss also helped with my knees. Over all I think it's a great diet but I couldn't stop loosing weight so I had to start adding carbs back in and my stomach went back to being a mess. For a soda replacement unsweetened ice tea is good.

Dude! Yer fallin' apart!!

Dude your cracking me up." HFCS is bad and sugar is good". Sugar as a whole is BAD FOR YOU.

"Previous Section

Next Section

CONCLUSIONS

The hypothesis that HFCS is a unique cause of obesity is not supportable in the United States or elsewhere, and the reasons are clear:

HFCS has the same sugars composition as other benign fructose-glucose sweeteners such as sucrose, honey, and fruit juice concentrates and dietary sources such as fruits and juices;

Increased caloric intake since 1970 was not due to added sugars (including HFCS) but rather was due to increased consumption of all caloric nutrients, especially fats and flour and cereals;

HFCS is consumed in equal amounts with sucrose in the United States, but at <10% of the amount of sucrose worldwide;

Fructose-glucose sweeteners are metabolized through the same pathways regardless of dietary source;

Although pure fructose can cause metabolic upsets at high concentrations and in the absence of glucose, such experiments are irrelevant for HFCS, which is not consumed at extreme high levels and contains both fructose and glucose;

There is no longer an association between HFCS and obesity in the United States: per capita consumption of HFCS has declined in recent years, whereas obesity rates continue to rise; and

There is absolutely no association between HFCS use and worldwide obesity; HFCS is really a minor sweetener in the global perspective.

No one would disagree that HFCS as a caloric ingredient can lead to weight gain if products sweetened with it are consumed to excess. After all, the same may be said for all caloric ingredients, such as fats, protein, alcohol, and other carbohydrates. But there is absolutely no proof that HFCS acts in any exclusive manner to promote obesity. It is time to retire the hypothesis that HFCS is uniquely responsible for obesity. (Other articles in this supplement to the Journal include references 34-37.)"

The reason that "HFCS is really a minor sweetener in the global perspective" is that most other countries don't want that stuff in anything, much less everything, as is the case of US processed food.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The first time I went on it I lost 35lbs in about 3 months but the best part was that I've always had stomach issues (ulcers,acid reflux) a week after going low carb my stomach problems were gone. The weight loss also helped with my knees. Over all I think it's a great diet but I couldn't stop loosing weight so I had to start adding carbs back in and my stomach went back to being a mess. For a soda replacement unsweetened ice tea is good.

Dude! Yer fallin' apart!!

Your telling me. Stomach has been a mess since I was 3 but my knees are a combo of surfing,skateboarding and tile setting. I'm only 32! I don't know where I'll be when I'm 64. Probably sitting out back with fused knees sipping on a bottle of corn syrup.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Way back in 2000, I spent 6 weeks in New Zealand, New Caledonia and Australia. Their food laws are much stricter than US's. It started out that the food tasted funny to me but after a few days you don't notice it. When I finally got back home, it just seemed that I felt lots healthier for kind of cleansing my system. Not scientific at all but I sure felt different.

PS. Sugar is bad, mkay?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

"Previous Section

Next Section

CONCLUSIONS

Classic Misdirection: "Your scientific evidence doesn't support my opinion so I will discount it by saying other stuff is also bad, (but not in the same way)."

Keep trollin', man. You're not debating, you're trying to "win".

I'm gonna go eat some birthday cake (made with Sucrose!)

"Previous Section

Next Section

CONCLUSIONS

Classic Misdirection: "Your scientific evidence doesn't support my opinion so I will discount it by saying other stuff is also bad, (but not in the same way)."

Keep trollin', man. You're not debating, you're trying to "win".

I'm gonna go eat some birthday cake (made with Sucrose!)

I'm still making the same point as I started with. HFCS is just as bad as sugar. Simple as that. I've shown you multiple quote that just about every study ends with " HFCS is no worse for you than sugar" you found one random study. As far as winning goes I could care less. Science is about proof and being proven wrong. If your a scientist you should be able to adapt to being wrong in the face of evidence. S far I have seen no proof that HFCS is any worse that sugar. I have seen many study's being titled "HFCS is not as bad as once thought". Agree with me or disagree with me I don't care just do your own research and not jump on every media hype bandwagon. If you only follow what's on tv it's amazing anyone is still alive right now. Happy birthday btw.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

If table sugar is 50/50 fructose/glucose and HFCS is 55/41/4, it sounds like either should only be consumed in moderate amounts, I don't specifically avoid HFCS but I have recently greatly reduced consumption of all sugars and increased consumption of fruits and vegetables, as a result, I'm down 20 pounds. Seems like if HFCS is worse than table sugar, it doesn't seem to be "that" much worse, just reduce use of all refined sugars and you will be benefitted.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

At the end of the day, table sugar, hfcs, even many naturally occuring fruits spike insulin levels after being eaten. High insulin does not allow the body to burn fat stores/calories. So, whenever we eat processed carbs or many naturally occurring carbs we impede our body's ability to maintain a healthy weight.

So eat up. Make your choice just don't delude yourself in the process. A little honesty to one's self goes a long way.

Interesting side note, I did read...wish I could remember where exactly, that it isn't human diets per se causing weight gain. But that weight gain in "non pet" animals is tracking with humans over the past few decades. Their assertion is that something else is in play. Wish I could remember now...

Great now I will have to look it up.

At the end of the day, table sugar, hfcs, even many naturally occuring fruits spike insulin levels after being eaten. High insulin does not allow the body to burn fat stores/calories. So, whenever we eat processed carbs or many naturally occurring carbs we impede our body's ability to maintain a healthy weight.

So eat up. Make your choice just don't delude yourself in the process. A little honesty to one's self goes a long way.

Interesting side note, I did read...wish I could remember where exactly, that it isn't human diets per se causing weight gain. But that weight gain in "non pet" animals is tracking with humans over the past few decades. Their assertion is that something else is in play. Wish I could remember now...

Great now I will have to look it up.

Must be global warming! Ok, sorry, trying to be light hearted here, please don't rekindle that debate here.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.