IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Water Use

Wai`anae Steve

The water needs of palms & other subtropcals is one reason many people don't plant them.  Hate to see Queens/Kings dying of thrist.  I even confronted a lady while driving by her home that she might consider caring for her 5 once healthy syagrus romanzoffiana   :o  trees w/ a "For Sign" in her front yard.

When it is as dry as it has been I must concentrate water on the tropical's.  My water bills are outrageous but what can a palm aficionado do ? :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Just for curiosity sake does anyone know at what depth in Florida well water is found that is of quality good enough to be considered mineral water.  Around here where we are surrounded by the largest fresh water rivers in the world the city still has a lot of areas with no water service, including ours, and even those that do often have water outages.  Things are better since the water service was privatized, but still lack a lot.  So, many people use wells, either through choice or neccessity.  Around here a well of at least 70 meters has excellent water quality and can be consumed with no need of treatment.   Our current situation is pretty good, no water bill we have  a well, no sewar bill we have a ceptic tank, and no electricity (we are on the city power grid, but they never installed a meter, and we never went and asked for one, and they never came to ask about it, so for now it is money in the bank).

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Our current situation is pretty good, no water bill we have  a well, no sewar bill we have a ceptic tank, and no electricity (we are on the city power grid, but they never installed a meter, and we never went and asked for one, and they never came to ask about it, so for now it is money in the bank).

Don,

That is just incredible.... So, if I understand this correctly, once you buy your land down there you basically can live for free (or at least very inexpensively)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

I would not really say for free.  My situation is not necessarily the norm.  The electric hook up is sort of a fluke, but who am I to go and force them to put an electric meter in.  The streets on all sides of ours has meters, they just never put them in on ours.  But, that day will come.  Electricity is sort of expensive.  In the other house I was living at previously, which was about 3,000 sq. feet, my electric bill ran around 150 USD per month on average.  That is using A/C mostly only at night.  If you use a lot of A/C the cost could be double or more.  The water was also city water and that was about 40 USD per month.  But, I had a problem once where the water pipe broke somewhere under the yard and my bill went to 1,500 USD for the month.  Fortunately I got it fixed and they gave me a credit for most of it.  The closed condo area where I have my lot at has a well for the 100 lots in the development.  It is over 300 feet deep and of excellent quality.  Most apartment buildings in town also have their own deep wells. Actually my biggest expenses are what I pay in the States, childsupport and a bit of debt I am still paying off.  All being said though if I did not have the expenses in the States I could live quite comfortably on 2,000 USD per month here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg