IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Coco de Mer' in southern California ...?

trioderob

so the best have tried and failed to keep one alive ?

I really don't know the history of the double coconut in Cali.

Guys like Dr. D germinated them - and they croaked in winter ???????

what's the story O great palm Gurus...........................

Edited by trioderob

What's the problem? They put on three fronds a month up here no problem. :)

A pessimist, confronted with two bad choices, chooses both.

photos ??????

The farmer (Palm Grower) has to be an optimist or he wouldn't still be a farmer.

- Will Rogers

coco_de_mer.jpg

Well... the more accurate answer is, this palm would probably take 10 years just to make a strap leaf in our climate. In Southern California, you might get a strap leaf in about 5 years time... if it's not frozen to death or rotten out by then.

As soon as seed becomes available, I'm going to raid my retirement account to pay for one, and plant it right next to the magic microclimate where my Jamaican tall is trunking and my Hyophorbe amaricaulis is flowering... in my dreams.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

As soon as seed becomes available, I'm going to raid my retirement account to pay for one, and plant it right next to the magic microclimate where my Jamaican tall is trunking and my Hyophorbe amaricaulis is flowering... in my dreams.

Kim, maybe not San Diego, but why wouldn't you be able to grow this at your place in Hawaii?

Waiting for third leaf......and waiting....and waiting...here in Florida

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

do you have them growing on your Hawaiian estate ?

My reply was to the southern California question. Yes, they will absolutely thrive here in Hawaii (though I do not exactly have an "estate" :) ). The difficulty is in procuring viable seeds.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Fungus would kill it in Southern California if it never died outright from cold.

They should get some seeds from the Sechelles Islands to other tropical parts of the World. If something happens to the wild population on the Sechelles then at least its save in other parts of the World.

Alexander

They should get some seeds from the Sechelles Islands to other tropical parts of the World. If something happens to the wild population on the Sechelles then at least its save in other parts of the World.

Alexander

I totally agree, but the Sechelles Islands government doesn't. Getting them would require smuggling, by a brave soul, at this point in time.

Alexander

They've done that, there are seeding populations in Singapore, Sri Lanka, Australia and Hawaii.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)