IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Amazing garden of LJG ( Len ) PRA

Tassie_Troy1971

Another yard shot. In the center is a Dypsis St. Lucei that I somehow failed to get a close up of.

post-4817-0-52665200-1375160779_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Not really sure of the ID on this. Obviously a beautiful clumping Dypsis. If I had to guess I would say Dypsis bef aka Slick Willy.

post-4817-0-91242600-1375160998_thumb.jp

Getting sleepy and starting to screw up the postings. Hope to get a few more in before I call it a night.

post-4817-0-69979400-1375161284_thumb.jp

Last one I took. Dypsis marojejyi aka Mad Fox. Thanks again to Len for letting us visit and a huge thanks to Troy for blazing his way through just about every big palm garden in Cali and posting pics for us all to enjoy!

Troy - did you post pics yet from Gary's? I'll try and add a few more to that one too.

post-4817-0-48394400-1375161494_thumb.jp

Good stuff Blake .

It looks like you enjoyed the visit to Len's as much as what i did !

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Beautiful garden Len! I love how open your layout is and how roomy it is around each palm so you can see it in its full glory. I wish I could grow encephalartos here as blue as the ones you got.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Blake, thanks for taking time to post more photos and stopping by.

Thanks Gene, hard to not over-crowd. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

The base. Check out the sprinkler pipe for scale. Girthy.

everytime i see pictures of the bizzie with something for scale i realize i'm glad i'm going to take the advice and not plant one in my garden, there's absolutely no way for me to plant one of these without having it take up the majority of my yard

• 2 months later...

everytime i see pictures of the bizzie with something for scale i realize i'm glad i'm going to take the advice and not plant one in my garden, there's absolutely no way for me to plant one of these without having it take up the majority of my yard

Although it would give you nice shade and room to grow understory palms. I would put it in the corner perhaps so that you could use the neighbors airspace. I've done it with multiple giant palms (although they're not giant yet). I've planted them other areas too... I think that they're worth the premium space anyways. If nothing else, you can trim the crown tighter. It'll probably outgrow a number of your palms.

What else are you growing, or planning on growing?

Although it would give you nice shade and room to grow understory palms. I would put it in the corner perhaps so that you could use the neighbors airspace. I've done it with multiple giant palms (although they're not giant yet). I've planted them other areas too... I think that they're worth the premium space anyways. If nothing else, you can trim the crown tighter. It'll probably outgrow a number of your palms.

What else are you growing, or planning on growing?

I just finished the layout and got everything all prepped. i'm right in the middle of the buying phase right now and then i'll start placing buckets where I think they belong.

i'm actually trying to be somewhat considerate in terms of using the neighbors airspace, I was going to plant a Caryota gigas in a corner but I don't know if my neighbor would appreciate a 20' frond into their yard covering their plants that need the full sun :lol:

I missed this thread the first time around.

That is one heckuva garden Len! One of the tops weve seen posted on this board, no doubt.

As noted by some others, the hardscape is wicked.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Len, the tree collections please... Would love to see some of them :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, you would be upset with me. Many have been removed as they didn't provide good canopy or grew to slow to provide canopy. I mostly have Cassia's and Tababuia's now.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Finally had a chance to see all the photos in this thread. Len, your garden is absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the top gardens I've ever seen on PalmTalk.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 2 years later...

Okay so I've seen a few pics of Len's palms and garden here and there and I've always admired them. But  I just came across this thread and my mind is blown :yay:!!!!!:yay:

Perfect example of a "Californian palm garden"! 

Would you guys agree that Len's garden rivals those of Hawaii, Florida, and any other palm garden in the world?

If you don't, the give those palms a few more years...:drool:

40 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

Okay so I've seen a few pics of Len's palms and garden here and there and I've always admired them. But  I just came across this thread and my mind is blown :yay:!!!!!:yay:

Perfect example of a "Californian palm garden"! 

Would you guys agree that Len's garden rivals those of Hawaii, Florida, and any other palm garden in the world?

If you don't, the give those palms a few more years...:drool:

Thanks for the kind comments. Long ways to go to rival a Hawaiian or Queensland garden. I can't believe how much things have grown in just two short years since these photos. The winters have been kind. The place looks bare in these photos.

Stop by anytime.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

6 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Have you been to Queensland Len?? If not you should plan to at some stage?

I taught high school in Oz in 95. Traveled all over the place, including Queensland. Just was never into palms like I am now. I will be back for sure. Beautiful place. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I was at Len's about 2 months ago to pick up a few 'rescue palms' and he graciously gave me a tour of his property. From the moment I stepped out of my car I was so astounded from the visuals that I completely forgot to take any pictures until it got dark.

His yard is a perfect example of a combination of master-planned and beautiful hardscaping, great use of open space, and extremely rare and large plants everywhere (like that monster fallaensis reaching for the sky up front).

Len, it was truly a pleasure to see your garden, and I'm sad it got dark so fast when I was there. The 'rescues' are doing great btw! :)

• Upvote 1